NAD Yamaha THR10C

Matty

Reaction score
Righto, let me start by saying what this amp is not. It's not a stage amp, nor a rehersal or jam session amp.

It's a practice/noodling tool. And it's pretty bloody good at it. The 10C is the low gain boutique modelling version, theres a 10X for high gain and the original THR10 for a more versatile range of amps. There's 5 amp sounds to choose from, starting with a clean Fender, Matchless DC30, Blues Jr, Bluesbreaker and The Dr Z Mini Z. The amp sims sound great and react to playing nuances pretty much just like a cranked tube amp.

There's also plenty of effects to choose from. The usual fare including tremelo, phaser, chorus, reverb and on the 10C you get a nice tape echo sim instead of digital delay. They all sound really good if your'e into that sort of thing.

So what makes these different from all the other small budget modellers out there? Firstly it's 5w + 5w stereo so with the aux input it doubles as a boom box, it's battery powered so it's portable. There's gain and master dials as well as a treble, middle, bass but with separate volumes for guitar and aux in. This is cool because you can crank the master and lower the gain on the amp sim for great power section crunch and dynamics and control the overall volume with the main guitar volume dial. And the aux can be blended with the guitar so you can play along to backing tracks on your MP3 player of choice with the backing track playing in crystal clear stereo unaffected by the amp sim. There's also a headphone jack for silent operation.

The verdict. While it's always going to be preferable to crank up a good tube amp my reality is I can't always do that. And for those times the THR is perfect, whether late at night while Mrs Matty sleeps or Sunday arvo out the back with a few beers. :cheers:

IMG_1944.jpg

Lolly

Reaction score
HNAD! I always hear nice opinions on those THR amps.

Kyle76

Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger, huh? You definitely did your research! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. The reality is, almost no one is in a situation to crank up a tube amp every time they play, and IMO, this amp far surpasses any other battery-powered option out there, and I've owned Roland and Fender versions. I would also somewhat disagree on jamming with this amp because you can easily jam with other guitarists, just not a full band type of situation.

iliketoplay

Reaction score
HNAD! These are really cool amps. I played the original THR10 at my local GC for almost an hour one day with various guitars and was pretty impressed. In the end, I opted for a Blackstar HT-5C because it can be quiet enough to play while the girlfriend sleeps and also loud enough to take to a small jam when paired with another 112, but it definitely does not offer the sonic versatility or the ease of portability that the THR range does.

I still want one of these amps. It would be nice to have one on the coffee table so I don't have to go to my jam room every time I want to riff around. Plus, they just look f'ing cool!

dlmorley

Reaction score
Great amps (the original)
I must try the new ones out as I sold my original stoopidly.

Tenacious T

Reaction score
Nice...

I've had my THR10X for a couple months now...still can't find anything I don't like about it.

Yamaha hit a homerun with the THR series.

Matty

Reaction score
Well at still hearing the strings volume it sounds better, but the Phaez quickly kicks its ass after that. :thumb:

If only the JTM was battery powered and tiny. :hmm:

craggles

Reaction score
Not quite on topic, but is that an Epi with a headstock reshaped to the open-book profile?

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Righto, let me start by saying what this amp is not. It's not a stage amp, nor a rehersal or jam session amp.

It's a practice/noodling tool. And it's pretty bloody good at it. The 10C is the low gain boutique modelling version, theres a 10X for high gain and the original THR10 for a more versatile range of amps. There's 5 amp sounds to choose from, starting with a clean Fender, Matchless DC30, Blues Jr, Bluesbreaker and The Dr Z Mini Z. The amp sims sound great and react to playing nuances pretty much just like a cranked tube amp.

There's also plenty of effects to choose from. The usual fare including tremelo, phaser, chorus, reverb and on the 10C you get a nice tape echo sim instead of digital delay. They all sound really good if your'e into that sort of thing.

So what makes these different from all the other small budget modellers out there? Firstly it's 5w + 5w stereo so with the aux input it doubles as a boom box, it's battery powered so it's portable. There's gain and master dials as well as a treble, middle, bass but with separate volumes for guitar and aux in. This is cool because you can crank the master and lower the gain on the amp sim for great power section crunch and dynamics and control the overall volume with the main guitar volume dial. And the aux can be blended with the guitar so you can play along to backing tracks on your MP3 player of choice with the backing track playing in crystal clear stereo unaffected by the amp sim. There's also a headphone jack for silent operation.

The verdict. While it's always going to be preferable to crank up a good tube amp my reality is I can't always do that. And for those times the THR is perfect, whether late at night while Mrs Matty sleeps or Sunday arvo out the back with a few beers. :cheers:

IMG_1944.jpg

We had one in our shop that my biz partner ordered.... Killer.... To me it sounds great if you get a few feet from it and turn the speakers so you aren't in the kill zone... The software is cool too.... Played my goldtop, a frankenstein, a custom tele we built, and a strat through it.... Sounded good on all.... Great little amp....

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So, you went over to the dark side! All snobbery aside, it does look like a feature rich amp that would be perfect for banging around.

I just can't bring myself to buy an amp that looks like it's power by nuclear fusion.

Hamtone

Reaction score
So, you went over to the dark side! All snobbery aside, it does look like a feature rich amp that would be perfect for banging around.

I just can't bring myself to buy an amp that looks like it's power by nuclear fusion.

Don, I picked one up yesterday and it is absolutely awesome, and you know I love my 100 watters. It is completely bizarre how good the attack response and sound is. I bought the thr10 and not one of the newer options, and it is exactly what I need to play where I am right now and it is inspiring.

I still miss the thump and drive of my hiwatt and I replace it soon but for now this is the ticket.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don, I picked one up yesterday and it is absolutely awesome, and you know I love my 100 watters. It is completely bizarre how good the attack response and sound is. I bought the thr10 and not one of the newer options, and it is exactly what I need to play where I am right now and it is inspiring.

I still miss the thump and drive of my hiwatt and I replace it soon but for now this is the ticket.

I've only heard good things about the Yamaha. I'm just being a snob!

ps hope all is well in the Sunshine State.

Latest Threads