NAD: Yamaha THR10C I did it!!

theaxeman

Reaction score
So I got a flyer from GC on Thursday. Lo and behold, the flyer said $50.00 instant rebate on the THR10 and 10C plus they are having their Labor Day sale which has already started with 15% off on just about everything. I called my Rep and asked if they had a new 10C unopened and in the box, and he said they had one unopened.

I drove over yesterday afternoon and walked out the door with it for $211.65 plus tax for a total of $227 something.

He even threw in a gig bag for me. :naughty:

I guess I'll call this my birthday present even though my B-day isn't until November.

Took it to my buddies house and we put it through it's paces for about an hour. I like it, and he likes it. :cool:

Everyone knows what they look like, so I'm not taking a new pic of mine.

I played around with it about an hour today after lunch. I like the different models and sounds, and the effects all work very well.

I can see now why everyone says you can play in an apartment and not bother the neighbors. :laugh2:

You can get some excellent tones at very low volume.

My only concern is with volume and clean tones. It seems you need to turn up some gain to get any kind of clean volume and run into the edge of breakup. That's fine if that is what you are looking for, but to be really clean, the volume goes down considerably.

I hooked it up via the phone jack to my surround sound, but I had to max out the SS to get any volume out of the phone jack, and that turned the sound a bit murky.

Did the guy who posted about putting external speaker jacks in the review thread ever share his secrets on how to accomplish that?

I would love to hear how this thing sounds hooked up to a pair of full sized guitar speakers.

Anyone else have a thought on how to boost the clean volume?

I like it, and it's stock speakers are miles ahead of the Greta stock speaker.

I'm looking forward to trying out the editor, doing some recording, and jamming along with some tracks played along with my guitar.

theaxeman

Reaction score
THR10 to hifi speakers (12" woofers) via headphone jack and Technics amp/processor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwRQpMMt1M
I remember that video, but didn't know how it was recorded.

I'd still like to hook up to regular 12" guitar speakers and see how it sounds.

But for now, I think I have resolved my super clean volume problem.

I found my old set of Radio Shack speakers that I bought back in the 90s to use for computer speakers. I haven't used them in years, and they were stored in a box. I looked yesterday, but didn't find them until this morning.

Hooked them up, and they provide just the right amount of super clean volume I was looking for.

Oddly enough, the sound is virtually the same as the Yamaha speakers, just a tiny bit louder.

For all other purposes, especially on the edge of breakup and higher, the stock speakers and settings work fine. :cool:

I'm very pleased, and look forward to playing with the presets and doing some recordings. :applause:

theaxeman

Reaction score
Yesterday, I hooked up to the 10c and basically cranked it up for all it was worth and ripped power chords on it for a while and frankly, I think it opened the speakers up some.

Then today, I finally hooked up the editor and created a couple of presets which is amazing BTW, and now I'm in love with this amp.

I now humbly bow to all those who said I would love this amp if I bought it.

By using the editor to create a super clean preset, and the pounding I gave it yesterday, I no longer need to have any volume boosters.

It is plenty loud clean, and extremely loud when wide open. :shock:

I love it, and am looking forward to some recording.

Thanks to all who encouraged me to buy one of these little gems. :applause:

armycopter

Reaction score
I have the 10 and the 10X. I love them too. I need to try the editor though. Congrats on yours.

theaxeman

Reaction score
I have the 10 and the 10X. I love them too. I need to try the editor though. Congrats on yours.
Thanks!!

The editor can do some amazing things with this amp. It is well worth the effort to get it hooked up and design some presets of your own.

episode666

Reaction score
How's the usb recording working? is it usable for putting down ideas etc.?

theaxeman

Reaction score
How's the usb recording working? is it usable for putting down ideas etc.?
I haven't tried recording anything yet.

I have downloaded some backing tracks to my phone and am using that as my mp3 player ran into the aux. input and playing along with the tracks on my guitar.

That works very well, and you can blend in the sound with the output volumes so the playing fits right in perfectly.

Perhaps someone else can tell us about their recording successes. :laugh2:

LPCollector

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I recorded this with my THR10 and a '84 Kramer Baretta:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/markdarby33/aint-nothin-but-a-good-time[/SC]

Latest Threads