NAD X 2: Joyo 5F1 Champ Clone

rich85

Reaction score
I had one of these a while back and liked it but sold it to buy more "loud rock band" gear. Now I am doing basically weekly Acoustic/Electric Duo gigs with a Strat and got another one on Monday. Then a few hours later ordered a second I loved it so much. Basically so one can stay set up with a powered cab sim with all the PA gear and one for home use.

I have never played a vintage champ, only the new Fender reissue that costs $1700 here in Aus, these Joyo amps are $250. Tonally the Joyo is a bit darker which I prefer but overall it has that amazing tonal depth. I just add a little bit of slapback delay with a Behringer VD400.

Weirdly on the 2nd one it has 5AR4 Rectifier rattle? Is that common? It lights up fine.

Demo vid:
Guitar: $570
Amp: $250
Pedal: $29

Last edited:

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Congratulations, but sorry to hear about the rattle. H&K along with Joyo (and I’m sure others - I have a little Orange micro dark - small enough to tote in an open back cab for combo convenience) have lines of small amps targeting a particular sound. Glad you’re happy with the sound. Both are priced well enough to experiment with.

rich85

Reaction score
Congratulations, but sorry to hear about the rattle. H&K along with Joyo (and I’m sure others - I have a little Orange micro dark - small enough to tote in an open back cab for combo convenience) have lines of small amps targeting a particular sound. Glad you’re happy with the sound. Both are priced well enough to experiment with.
Actually kind of amusing to think of how many amps you could order if you decided to just spend 2 grand on budget amps nowadays. I sold the Micro Terror as I found it too loud for home use haha not sure if it was normal but once the volume knob was making sound it shook the walls.

The singer in my band used the Vox Super Beetle for gigs with a Gretsch for Rhythm. What an amazing little amp that one is.

moreles

Reaction score
When a new amp comes with built-in rattle, I'm not going there. Life's too short to be repairing/replacing parts on a new item. I consider the extra I paid for a sound, solid, unmodded silverface Champ to be well worth it. Mine is a clean original and still came in way, way less than any "boutique" copy... of a Champ! Considering all the money I have spent on my guitars, and the maintenance I do and the hours I log playing, compromising on the amp I play them through is not something that makes sense to me. I maintain 3 ammps of varying levels of power, none of them particularly expensive but all of them really fine.

rich85

Reaction score
When a new amp comes with built-in rattle, I'm not going there. Life's too short to be repairing/replacing parts on a new item. I consider the extra I paid for a sound, solid, unmodded silverface Champ to be well worth it. Mine is a clean original and still came in way, way less than any "boutique" copy... of a Champ! Considering all the money I have spent on my guitars, and the maintenance I do and the hours I log playing, compromising on the amp I play them through is not something that makes sense to me. I maintain 3 ammps of varying levels of power, none of them particularly expensive but all of them really fine.
I fixed up the rattle. Here in Australia it is slim to basically no pickings in terms of Fender Champs. I was on the almost daily lookout for a solid year, maybe more, and never even found a Silverface model for sale. And like you said the boutique stuff is priced wayy too high. So I am happy with this.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Great point Moreles! Many, especially beginning guitar players, don’t appreciate the importance of a good (not necessarily ultra expensive) amp. I started with a ss Crate (old wood cabinet) in 1981. I could never get the sound I liked. Traded in for a few dollars to help buy a Peevey in mid 90’s.

My Micro Dark has a single 12ax7 pre with ss power amp - interaction of gain and volume make it fun to play through. I find this generation of micro amps intriguing and interested in how they actually sound.

rich85, glad you got the rattle fixed

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original Class 5 was prone to rattle, and they are not a budget amp. Mine has no rattle, and it's very quiet.
I have a Joyo JTA-05 as well. I'm more of an amp collector than user, but I've used it and it's quiet, too. Tube rectifiers are not common on budget amps, or amps in general except maybe Fender reissues.

On the other hand, my $88 Greta has a choke, also uncommon in an amp these days.

Latest Threads