NAD: Whacky Amp for Les Pauls

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regardless of who does it, what's the point/story/purpose behind the crooked pups?
Frequency response.. that's the short answer.

Pickups can only see the part of the string that's over the poles.

Since it is known that moving a pickup towards the neck gives deeper tone and vice versa, this design gives a bit more lows on one side, and a bit more high emphasis on the other, as opposed to straight across the same section of the string.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Happy new amp day!
I remember eying those a while back too, but my heart is set on Fender blackface amps.
That Vox looks fun though, absolutely.
Enjoy it buddy :cheers2:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Happy new amp day!
I remember eying those a while back too, but my heart is set on Fender blackface amps.
That Vox looks fun though, absolutely.
Enjoy it buddy :cheers2:
I bought and paid for the dsl 5w country & western on reverb and was so excited...
a week later they said ”inventory changes make us unable to find your order”
I’m still mourning but dang, the vox is a show stopper....

C547F86B-1926-491C-B8CE-2FBE150BC5CB.jpeg

RocketKing

Reaction score
I bought and paid for the dsl 5w country & western on reverb and was so excited...

View attachment 469225
Yeah I know what you mean, hate it when that happens.
I'm sure you'll find another one!

bum

Reaction score
I don't have much of an opinion on the amp, looks real cool though!
What I wanted to say is that Chris, I love your posts man, you are always a good read, and your enthusiasm for all things guitar really comes through, I just wanted to let you know you are appreciated brother

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you ever played one of these? Les liked to use low impedance single coils and it worked for his sound, but I found that they sounded really thin and sharp, and forget about overdrive!
I got mine from a dealer who had it new from a reissue...
he didnt give me a penny off retail because I had been looking for a recording over a year...
wanted either a very good 70s example (with diamond headstock) or a perfect reissue..
this one had never left the case and still had the plastic over the pickguard...

love it but I probably only use 10% of the features....it’s a blast but like playing the guitar version of a commodore Vic 20...lots of cool stuff but u gotta think about it

-Chris

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Congrats on the amp! Coincidentally I'm looking at getting one myself.....just curious how loud does it get flat out? Loud enough to compete with a drummer using brushes?

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the amp! Coincidentally I'm looking at getting one myself.....just curious how loud does it get flat out? Loud enough to compete with a drummer using brushes?
maybe...but I doubt it..l
its not a jam amp imho
bedroom play for sure...
brushes and a soft foot on the bass drum would be fine....
but it’s not loud enough for average drumming

-chris

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the heads-up....might have to consider the AC10.....
if I wanted a loud jam amp then I’d get a solid state Marshall 50w
Cool thanks for the heads-up....might have to consider the AC10.....
i May be wrong...
I think I am actually...

just turned it up...wow...kinda surprised

found a video of someone On YouTube cranking it...
Some commenters use it for jamming and church gigs

this is a way cooler little amp if loud enogh, which I now think it is...

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Dang it all Chris -- you inadvertently fired up the GAS...!! :facepalm:

...And then I just happened to stumble across this from an online seller I've bought from before:

1568117737MINI-SUPERBEETLE-BRG_left.jpg

All for just GBP £262 all-in, instead of £416...! -- and it was the only one they had.
(That's about USD $340 instead of $540 for my Lester-lovin' cousins across the Pond!)

I had absolutely NO intention of buying ANY more gear this year but this thread had set something in motion a few weeks back and look at what happened...!

It should arrive at the start of next week. I'll likely post some family pics with the axes and the other noisy boxes in a NAD thread once it gets here. I really like what I've seen of these in various online reviews so I'm rather looking forward to this one.

:cool2:

If I don't post, it's possibly because my wife has accidentally stabbed me through the back of the neck with the ragged end of the broken-off headstock from a smashed Les Paul Standard shortly after an unexpected package arrived at our door.

:iough: :eek2: :shock:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dang it all Chris -- you inadvertently fired up the GAS...!! :facepalm:

...And then I just happened to stumble across this from an online seller I've bought from before:

View attachment 479007

All for just GBP £262 all-in, instead of £416...! -- and it was the only one they had.
(That's about USD $340 instead of $540 for my Lester-lovin' cousins across the Pond!)

I had absolutely NO intention of buying ANY more gear this year but this thread had set something in motion a few weeks back and look at what happened...!

It should arrive at the start of next week. I'll likely post some family pics with the axes and the other noisy boxes in a NAD thread once it gets here. I really like what I've seen of these in various online reviews so I'm rather looking forward to this one.

:cool2:

If I don't post, it's possibly because my wife has accidentally stabbed me through the back of the neck with the ragged end of the broken-off headstock from a smashed Les Paul Standard shortly after an unexpected package arrived at our door.

:iough: :eek2: :shock:
i am so happy for you..
this amp has not left my bedroom since I got it...
maybe my favorite tone...and it easily is the coolest looking aMLP I’ve ever owned...

your green is beyond badass :wow:

-chris

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score

View attachment 469225
Must've been a Sweetwater exclusive?

They are currently selling a Blues Junior with that “western tolex” pattern and the 12” speaker upgraded to a cannabis Rex or something. Like $100-$150 more than the stock tweed version.

I love that they do that. Musicians friend is offering the same blues junior, but the exterior is baby blue like you’d see on a milkman, Supro, or tone king.

Latest Threads