NAD - Vox Night Train

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I had a Night Train many years ago, but sold it when I was moving around a lot and keeping just two small combo amps. I really did miss that nice Vox Chime that you get from the Night Train, it was such a great lunch box head. I was browsing around Reverb a few weeks ago and ran across one in excellent like new condition for a great price, I had to get it. I am definitely going back to old school on my tube amps, just some nice low watt home/small gig amps that sound great clean and take pedals well. Both of my tube amps now have an amazing clean tone from Vox Chime to a nice creamy smooth warm boutique tone. They both also take pedals very well, where I use my Line 6 HX Effects for up to 9 simultaneous effects with plenty of choices to get anything I want. Old school with modern technology mixed together giving me exactly what I want.

nighttrain1.jpg

nighttrain2.jpg

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could have bought a Night Train at a pawnshop but it was noisy and I thought it was overpriced at the time. So I bought the NT112 with a Greenback instead for $165. The cab fits nicely under my DSL.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
In a small room with the volume dimed, the combo turned into a fuzzy plexi-like saturated monster
Yep, you switch over to the Thick setting and it has a really nice thick gain tone where you can only adjust the Volume and Gain to your liking. The EQ's are disabled in this mode, but it just sounds killer, where you just use your guitar to adjust the tone to your liking. I only had a little bit today to jam on it, but I could hear that nice Vox Chime on the bright setting while messing around with the EQ for that sound that I love from it. I then changed over to the Thick setting, it was a nice wonderful thick boost that sounds great, I think it sounded even better to me now than the way I remember it.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I could have bought a Night Train at a pawnshop but it was noisy and I thought it was overpriced at the time. So I bought the NT112 with a Greenback instead for $165. The cab fits nicely under my DSL.
I got my NT head for $269, which I thought was a great price considering the Like New condition of this head.

I love the DSL40CR Crunch setting on the Classic Gain channel, I just wish they would put that Crunch setting on the other lower wattage DSL's. You can live on that Crunch channel all day on the DSL40CR, it is so spot on and magnificent. Is that the stock speaker that comes with the NT112, or it has been upgraded?

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my NT head for $269, which I thought was a great price considering the Like New condition of this head.

I love the DSL40CR Crunch setting on the Classic Gain channel, I just wish they would put that Crunch setting on the other lower wattage DSL's. You can live on that Crunch channel all day on the DSL40CR, it is so spot on and magnificent. Is that the stock speaker that comes with the NT112, or it has been upgraded?
The NT112 with a Greenback is a more expensive cab than the BC112 with a V-Type, about $50 CAD difference (when they were new some time ago.) I was happy to get this one, it's pretty much mint.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, they have the Custom Vox Celestion Greenback Speaker, which is not bad.

I was playing mine through my 1x12 which has the WGS Reaper HP speaker in it. I would like to play through both my speakers, but my 1x12 cabinet just has the one input, not a daisy chain output to another speaker. The Night Train has just the 1 16 ohm and 1 8 ohm connections, not sure if I can use both at the same time.

Last edited:

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was playing mine through my 1x12 which has the WGS Reaper HP speaker in it. I would like to play through both my speakers, but my 1x12 cabinet just has the one input, not a daisy chain output to another speaker. The Night Train has just the 1 16 ohm and 1 8 ohm connections, not sure if I can use both at the same time.
Uh, no. Don't do that :) Might blow up the OT real good. You can make or buy a parallel Y cable to plug two 16 ohm cabs into the 8 ohm output. I made a series cable that lets me plug two 8 ohm cabs into a 16 ohm output.

Last edited:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I REALLY like the 12" Reaper. Thinking about trying 10" WGS Green Beret

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The Reaper is nice, I got the HP which is a bit beefier at 50w rating. I picked up the WGS Invader 50 to pair with the Reaper HP, but I am still up in the air about it. I probably just should have gotten the Eminence Governor, which I know is a nice warm smooth sounding speaker. Here is a clip that does play some clips with the Governor paired with the Reaper HP and it does sounds sweet.

Speaker Comparison II: Eminence Governor vs. WGS Reaper HP vs. WGS Veteran 30 - YouTube

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I picked up a Y cable from Sweetwater for $30 and it works well for what I needed, which is to use both speakers. I plug it into the 8 ohm on the head and it splits out to two 16 ohm speaker cabinets. It definitely sounds better through both speakers than just one or the other. Loving that Vox tone.

Last edited:

Latest Threads