NAD! (UAD!) Boogie content (with terrible photos)

PageSide84

Reaction score
Picked up a used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV. Thing thing is loud as anything! It also really has a way of emphasizing every mistake I make (and there are many). Anyway, It's going to take some real work to dial in the tone I want, but I'm really happy with this thing. I'm happy with the purchase. Thanks to everyone who gave me Mesa advice in the earlier thread. :slash: And apologies for the ransom-looking photos.

jNLVamn.jpg

L2QMJdt.jpg

PageSide84

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor... grab a headshell for it.

I love my Marks.

At some point, I plan on it. Right now, I'm more concerned with figuring the tones out. This thing is a real beast, but I can already see where it gets its complex reputation. I'm already impressed with it, though.

madryan

Reaction score
At some point, I plan on it. Right now, I'm more concerned with figuring the tones out. This thing is a real beast, but I can already see where it gets its complex reputation. I'm already impressed with it, though.

The drive channel really needs to be dialed in like this...

Gain = Gain
Treble = more gain
Mids = feel
Bass = flubby
Drive = boost (think like this acts like a clean boost in front)

So basically you dial in the feel with the knobs, dial in the tone with the GEQ.

I run mine:

Bass: 1
Mids: 5
Treble: 8
Gain wherever I want, usually about 7 with Drive about 7. I pull the various boosts or shifts depending on the tone I'm after.

I run the power section as such...

Simul
Pentode
Harmonics

I run a sort of modified V on the GEQ.

That's all IIRC lol.

The manual for the Mark IV is super helpful. Mine's also an "A" revision which is a bit different. It's got the old IIC+ trannies in it.

PageSide84

Reaction score

Gain = Gain
Treble = more gain
Mids = feel
Bass = flubby

So basically you dial in the feel with the knobs, dial in the tone with the GEQ.

I run mine:

Gain wherever I want, usually about 7 with Drive about 7. I pull the various boosts or shifts depending on the tone I'm after.

Simul
Pentode
Harmonics

That's all IIRC lol.

The manual for the Mark IV is super helpful. Mine's also an "A" revision which is a bit different. It's got the old IIC+ trannies in it.

Great. I've been looking to get a jumping off point for it. I used one of the example settings (Clean/Clip/Howl) from the manual. I figure I might as well set something off the bat, and go from there. The controls on this are much different than I'm used to on my Fenders.

madryan

Reaction score
Great. I've been looking to get a jumping off point for it. I used one of the example settings (Clean/Clip/Howl) from the manual. I figure I might as well set something off the bat, and go from there. The controls on this are much different than I'm used to on my Fenders.

Yeah, if you think about it they're really not much different. Most Fenders, at least the old one's had the mid fixed with a resistor at about where the "noon" position would be with a pot depending on the value of the pot. Most people ran the treble fairly high and the bass fairly low or the amp would be too flubby. A Mark series amp is still kind of a Fender tonestack but it's got a much more powerful tonestack with the Graphic EQ tossed into the mix. They're really amazing amps.

If you want cranked bassman tones you can run the lead channel at just the edge of breakup and get there.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Congrats, looks to be in nice shape and I think that we have the same Les Paul (a Honey Burst LP Standard). I am also an repeat Mesa owner (4th time) after just buying a Mark I RI last night. I will follow your thread to get your thoughts on your NAD.

PageSide84

Reaction score
Congrats, looks to be in nice shape and I think that we have the same Les Paul (a Honey Burst LP Standard). I am also an repeat Mesa owner (4th time) after just buying a Mark I RI last night. I will follow your thread to get your thoughts on your NAD.

It's in great shape. There is a "7“ sprayed on the back, so i'm wondering if it was a studio rental at some point. The guy i got it from brought it from LA. But it works great. I just need to find time to dial it in. I won't be able to mess around with it much for a week or so, though.

Gridlock

Reaction score
There has to be lots of good tones from that amp. Hope that it works for you.

PageSide84

Reaction score

Gain = Gain
Treble = more gain
Mids = feel
Bass = flubby

I run mine:

Simul
Pentode
Harmonics

That's all IIRC lol.

I just read the manual . . it's helpful, but man this thing is a beast to dial in. The Bass really is no help above 1 or 2. It just kind of messes up the tone. Thanks for sharing your settings. It's helped decipher the noise coming out of this thing.

BigAl

Reaction score
Check out the Boogie Board forum for tone settings. They've got pages and pages dedicated to dialing Mark series amps in.

Enjoy!

Latest Threads