NAD : SoulTramp Tweed 12

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got a cool package delivered today.
IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

I've been in heaven since it arrived. Sorry, don't expect any demo vids from me, my playing sucks. But if you listen to the YouTube demos, this sounds just like them !

Dealing with Don is an absolute pleasure. Honest and straight-forward, and really knows how to treat his customers right !

The Custom amp cover : luxury itself. Plush, padded and extremely *perfect*.

The Tweed job : Is there something better than perfect ? because this is it. His seams line up EXACTLY. Perfect chevrons of tweed at every corner and seam. A Shellac job that is the most amazing shade of golden tweed. It even smells good. Not quite vanilla, but a nice craftsman-y smell that makes me think of the woodshop.

But you all want to know how it sounds, right ?

It has Volume and tone for the "normal" channel, Volume for the Soul channel, a Master volume, and Boost, Bite, and Soul switches. The Master is as smooth as I've ever dealt with. That's important to me, because I don't ever really play at huge volumes here in my basement (See above comment about suckage, haha.)

The best description I can give : with my LP, Soul + Bite + Boost = instant Neil Young. I kid you not, this is what a tweed amp is supposed to sound like. Leo may have "originated" it, but Don has perfected it !

I've always had a love/hate relationship with my Tele. Love the guitar, sort of hated the sound of it. Thought about changing pickups, but just never got around to it. Tele + Tweed 12 (any settings) = THIS is what a Tele is supposed to sound like !

I've also played my Jr. through it. A P-90 is every bit as good through it as the Tele. I have several other guitars that I haven't even tried yet, but I'm already in complete love with this amp.

Even with a single coil standing right in front of the amp, I heard NO hum or noise. (Although I haven't really worked the Master very hard yet.)

I can very highly recommend Soul Tramp Amps. I was influenced by friends from here, but having messaged with Don in the past, I had very positive expectations. He absolutely met and exceeded them. I really like having gear that has come from my membership here. Membership really does have it's privileges !

Now I have to go order an Atlas Amp Stand to go with it !

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I got a cool package delivered today.
View attachment 314502
View attachment 314503
View attachment 314504
View attachment 314505
View attachment 314506

I've been in heaven since it arrived. Sorry, don't expect any demo vids from me, my playing sucks. But if you listen to the YouTube demos, this sounds just like them !

Dealing with Don is an absolute pleasure. Honest and straight-forward, and really knows how to treat his customers right !

The Custom amp cover : luxury itself. Plush, padded and extremely *perfect*.

The Tweed job : Is there something better than perfect ? because this is it. His seams line up EXACTLY. Perfect chevrons of tweed at every corner and seam. A Shellac job that is the most amazing shade of golden tweed. It even smells good. Not quite vanilla, but a nice craftsman-y smell that makes me think of the woodshop.

But you all want to know how it sounds, right ?

It has Volume and tone for the "normal" channel, Volume for the Soul channel, a Master volume, and Boost, Bite, and Soul switches. The Master is as smooth as I've ever dealt with. That's important to me, because I don't ever really play at huge volumes here in my basement (See above comment about suckage, haha.)

The best description I can give : with my LP, Soul + Bite + Boost = instant Neil Young. I kid you not, this is what a tweed amp is supposed to sound like. Leo may have "originated" it, but Don has perfected it !

I've always had a love/hate relationship with my Tele. Love the guitar, sort of hated the sound of it. Thought about changing pickups, but just never got around to it. Tele + Tweed 12 (any settings) = THIS is what a Tele is supposed to sound like !

I've also played my Jr. through it. A P-90 is every bit as good through it as the Tele. I have several other guitars that I haven't even tried yet, but I'm already in complete love with this amp.

Even with a single coil standing right in front of the amp, I heard NO hum or noise. (Although I haven't really worked the Master very hard yet.)

I can very highly recommend Soul Tramp Amps. I was influenced by friends from here, but having messaged with Don in the past, I had very positive expectations. He absolutely met and exceeded them. I really like having gear that has come from my membership here. Membership really does have it's privileges !

Now I have to go order an Atlas Amp Stand to go with it !
Outstanding brother!!! Simply outstanding!!

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Weber Silver Ten and Weber Ferromax 10F150. I kept requesting him to make this for me with a single 12. He said "Ive chosen the 2 x 10" speakers for a particular sound". He convinced me. Now I know why. Sounds HUGE !

Sweet! I find it best to listen to the builder. In most cases they know what they're talking about...

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I borrow it? LOL

Congrats! If it sounds half as nice as it looks, you (and Don) hit it out of the park!

I hope you have MANY years of thrilling enjoyment. And maybe even be motivated to practice more and take it out to play with others in front of the masses! Hurricane Barstow Band!

Rawk On!

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I borrow it? LOL

Congrats! If it sounds half as nice as it looks, you (and Don) hit it out of the park!

I hope you have MANY years of thrilling enjoyment. And maybe even be motivated to practice more and take it out to play with others in front of the masses! Hurricane Barstow Band!

Rawk On!
Thanks KP. Unfortunately, I'd have to find worse musicians than myself to form a "Hurricane Barstow Band", because no better musicians would want to have me in "their" band.

It really sounds better than it looks, even with my meager skills. Don is definitely a wizard of Amps.

In the past, I had given thought to purchasing a "famous" boutique-style amp. Maybe a 65 Amps, or a Homestead, or Dr. Z. Tried a few of them at Sweetwater and never pulled the trigger. I really think that Soul Tramp should be as famous as any of those. This is sooooo beautiful looking, and the sounds that go with it are just dripping with cool.

I think I've found the One. Of course, I'll still look, though, right ?

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a big fan of Don Felder and Larry Carlton's work with Steely Dan, I haz a HUGE envy!

Find some intermediate guys and start a band. Just like you were still in High School!

Hey.... We can dream..... Right?

Play her hard and make her both sing and SCREAM! (You Stud you!)

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey.... We can dream..... Right?
Sorry, I'm married, so all my hopes and dreams have already been shattered !

Truthfully, I live in a small town, on a farm. I'm not from around here, so I don't actually know many local people, and have yet to find any local musicians of any kind. I could go to the podunk music store, and have considered taking some lessons there, if just to meet some other students. If we had a gear contest, I'm pretty sure I could win. But if it was about musical ability, well my best instrument is my Stereo.

I'm planning on hitting the Q & A clinic with Larry Carlton at Sweetwater Gearfest next weekend. I'll tell him you said "Hi !"

If we were reasonably close (distance wise - no shipping !), I'd let you try the Soul Tramp Tweed 12. But then you'd just have to buy one.

Latest Threads