NAD! Retrurn to Marshall

marc1kim

Reaction score
My buddy gave me a great deal on a DSL 15, he installed a tube in the V1 spot to tame the ultra gain channel. I don't know what it sounded like before the tube swap, but it sure roars like all the Marshalls I've owned in the past.

Believe it or not, the rig in the photo only cost me $200!
1987 SG Special- gift from my brother
5150 4x12 cab- gift from my friend
Marshall DSL15 - steal of a deal for $200

:slash:

Attachments

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would buy almost any amp of pedigree for $200...killer deal! Bonus on the low wattage. I've always said I'm "amp-tarded", but finding the space to wind up a 50 or 100 watt monster this day in age is damn near impossible. If you can, great, but my ears and location can't handle it.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there is SOMETHING about Marshall. It's intangible, but it's there

Max Max

Reaction score
I have a DSL15H, I love mine. I changed out the stock Marshall tube in the V1 for a Tung-Sol and it cleared up the "noisyness" in the Ultra Gain channel that everyone complains about on these amps. Also, if you're going to run an overdrive pedal in front, these amps seem to sound better with a Boss SD-1 over an Ibanez TS-9. These amps don't have an effects loop or reverb but I run an eq and a reverb pedal in front of mine and it sounds fine.
Congrats on the new amp, that's a lot of gear for $200!

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I think the best, most dynamic and widest range sounds on that amp happen in the Classic Gain channel. Of course, for that channel to really give up the goods, both the gain and volume need to be fully cranked up! The cleans on that cahnnel can be glorious.
Enjoy!
Gene

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice score, I just ordered a dsl20 head, due mid March. Was trying to get a dsl15 but the only one in U.K. at sensible price is 4 hour drive away and he won’t post. Will keep at him though, be nice to have a 6v6 and an el34 option.

Deftone

Reaction score
My buddy gave me a great deal on a DSL 15, he installed a tube in the V1 spot to tame the ultra gain channel. I don't know what it sounded like before the tube swap, but it sure roars like all the Marshalls I've owned in the past.

Believe it or not, the rig in the photo only cost me $200!
1987 SG Special- gift from my brother
5150 4x12 cab- gift from my friend
Marshall DSL15 - steal of a deal for $200

:slash:
Long time, no see marc1kim! Welcome back and congrats! Happy NAD.

On a Marshall kick myself. Can't seem to shake it.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Nice score, I just ordered a dsl20 head, due mid March. Was trying to get a dsl15 but the only one in U.K. at sensible price is 4 hour drive away and he won’t post. Will keep at him though, be nice to have a 6v6 and an el34 option.

FWIW, you can easily run 6V6s in a DSL20. They bring a bit of the Fender style clarity (no clean-ness) to the table. I suggest, however, that if you try it, you use the more robust, higher voltage tolerant JJ-6V6 S. They sound great and drop the power by a couple/few watts, as well as taming a little bit of that EL34 grindiness. Totally safe!
Just My $.02,
Gene

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I like the Marshall tone for sure, who doesn't like that 80's rock tone from Van Halen, Ratt, GNR, and Motley Crue. I went back to my original first tube amp, the Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo, a great platform starting point. I had the DSL40C when I lived back in Michigan, that is an awesome amp and does a great job, but a bit overkill wattage wise for my home jamming needs. Plus... it is pretty damn heavy to carry around, even this Blackheart Handsome Devil combo is pretty heavy, but definitely a bit more compact and still packs a killer punch. I think the 1st channel crunch on the DSL40C is the best, you can live there forever on that amp. I just wish the DSL15 had it, and when they made the DSL20 series, they still did not add it, which I think is a big mistake that only the DSL40C has it.

Last edited:

Latest Threads