NAD Peavey 6505+ Combo

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
Look what UPS brought today!!Hell yes.I was able to give my Jim Root Terror and Orange cab on a good price and gave myself a nice present for my birthday.The Orange was a good amp,great cleans,nice crunchy tones but didnt quite cut the type of metal i was looking for.Well this one does.First of all this thing is huge.It could easily be a 2x12.And heavy as f***.Any of you that think you can get one of those and move it around...good luck.It is build like a tank and the knobs feels solid.Not very impressed by the 2 white channel buttons.Now about the tone.This is a really loud amplifier and i wasnt able to crank the lead channel but it does give you a nice tight brutal sound even at low bedroom volumes.In the morning i am gonna really push the power tubes and see what this baby is capable of.The clean channel is actually better than i expected.From reviews a lot of people shit on the clean channel but if you mess with the eq you can get some nice clean tones.The speaker on this isnt that great but i have decided to get a good 2x12,an attenuator and convert this baby into a head.Thats it for now.

decoy205

Reaction score
Congrats! I love my 5150! Put a nice OD in front set gain at 0 and medium level and get a nice boost on your lead and crunch channels. you will dig it!

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
Come on man dont put salt on my wounds now.My budget was like 800$ and i was looking to get a used 5150 but the only one i found here was selling for like 1150 euro (1500+$) which was more than what a brand new 6505 sells for.And i wouldnt consider ebay.Even though i got this one i would grab a 5150 if i found one here and the price is right.

Kartes

Reaction score
My friend also has this combo. I carried it for him once - yeah once. I think it weighs around 65 pounds, but it felt like 100.

Have fun with your new toy! His sounds great.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sweet, HNAD! :thumb:

Congrats on a sweet amp, I bet that gain is just awesome!

decoy205

Reaction score
Come on man dont put salt on my wounds now.My budget was like 800$ and i was looking to get a used 5150 but the only one i found here was selling for like 1150 euro (1500+$) which was more than what a brand new 6505 sells for.And i wouldnt consider ebay.Even though i got this one i would grab a 5150 if i found one here and the price is right.
I was just commenting on how good these are. They are pretty much the same amps (6505 and 5150). If i was you Id put winged C power tubes in there and upgrade the speaker to a Mesa V30. :thumb:

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
I was just commenting on how good these are. They are pretty much the same amps (6505 and 5150). If i was you Id put winged C power tubes in there and upgrade the speaker to a Mesa V30. :thumb:
Yea i am just a little jelous thats all :).I know little about tubes and mods etc i know the particular amplifier uses ruby power tubes dont know where they stand.If changing them would be an upgrade in tone yea i guess i could try some other tubes.I am getting a 2x12 cab for this amp and the options are Mesa Rect,Engl,Orange,make my own.

Btw the led Peavey logo is dying on me.It came really weak and now its half dead but to be honest i couldnt care less.I though it looked cheap anyway

Syn

Reaction score
I have mine boosted with a Tubescreamer going into 2 V30's. It's a beast!
Congrats!

decoy205

Reaction score
Yeah this amp loves the OD808. If your doing an extension cab def go Mesa. The v30s in the Mesa are different than other mArshall or stock v30s. They compliment the amp well IMO. I tried 4 or 5 different cabs with mine and those are the ones I think work best.

Def get the boost going though! It's a big difference!

Syrus

Reaction score
A attenuator is kind of redundant on this amp, as it gets its high gain tones from the pre-amp tubes, not the power stage.

Might save you a few bucks in the process.

Anyways, HNAD!

Great amps!

Dr. Pain

Reaction score
Congrats. I've always liked the 5150/6505 series tone although I don't own one myself, just one modelled in a Vypyr and one in some software on the PC.

SrDeMaFp

Reaction score
Congrats! Killer amp! "Tone is in the ear of the beholder" as they say so, I ended up changing the speaker to an Eminence Swamp Thang and it really kicked it up a notch for the metal tone that I shoot for.

serch777

Reaction score
Look what UPS brought today!!Hell yes.I was able to give my Jim Root Terror and Orange cab on a good price and gave myself a nice present for my birthday.The Orange was a good amp,great cleans,nice crunchy tones but didnt quite cut the type of metal i was looking for.Well this one does.First of all this thing is huge.It could easily be a 2x12.And heavy as f***.Any of you that think you can get one of those and move it around...good luck.It is build like a tank and the knobs feels solid.Not very impressed by the 2 white channel buttons.Now about the tone.This is a really loud amplifier and i wasnt able to crank the lead channel but it does give you a nice tight brutal sound even at low bedroom volumes.In the morning i am gonna really push the power tubes and see what this baby is capable of.The clean channel is actually better than i expected.From reviews a lot of people shit on the clean channel but if you mess with the eq you can get some nice clean tones.The speaker on this isnt that great but i have decided to get a good 2x12,an attenuator and convert this baby into a head.Thats it for now.
Hey wheelsdeal; I was planning to buy the Jim Root Orange....would you recommend me this Peavey instead? I have a Les Paul Classic Custom with the EMG JH set installed, an ESP 7-string, and I play mostly black/melodic death/post rock (Emperor, Watain, Dark Tranquillity, Carcass, Fear Factory, Wolves in the Throne Room, Alcest, etc., and the occasional Ozzy tunes). Cheers! :thumb:

Dr. Pain

Reaction score
6505 for sure. I know Carcass, Dark Tranquillity and Dino Cazares have all used 5150's in the past. I've only used the virtual 120 watt versions of a 6505 and 6505+ in Peavey's revalver software but it's sound perfect for those tones. The 6505 in my Vypyr can't quite get too the same levels in terms of distortion but I can begin to hear it. The 112 put thought a 412 cab sounds good and there's a few clips about on that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXOIhz2mfY]6505+ 112 vs. 6505 head miced with sm57 - YouTube[/ame]

serch777

Reaction score
Thanks Dr. Pain! I'm getting really interested in the 6505, as it seems to have that sound that I'm looking for, and is also much more versatile than other ones (Laney Ironheart). :)

Latest Threads