NAD - Orange OR15H. What kind of sorcery is this?

Guitar Rod

Reaction score

It's been forever since I've posted a NAD here (usually forgetting until it is too late), but this new acquisition has forced my hand. I've been looking for a smaller Orange tube amp because I love my Micro Terror. But the white lunch boxes don't scream Orange to me, and some of the Terrors only have a tone knob like the Micro. An OR15H came up for sale at an amazing price, and after some research I couldn't pass it up.

Lord this thing sounds good. Not good. INCREDIBLE! And I refuse to believe it's only 15 watts. People talk about their "big iron" having thump and punch. This thing has plenty! What kind of ancient British magic allowed them to fit a 100w amp into this 15w form?

Cosmetically it is slightly faded, but in near perfect shape. The coat of arms sticker is really faded, but it shows it lived a life... a life in a window. But a life nonetheless. Luckily I usually clean up and inspect any new piece of equipment, and thank goodness I did. One of the JJ EL84's was filled with white powder. Stopped playing it immediately until I got new tubes. Ended up ordering a matched pair of NOS Russian 6P14P-EV for less than a couple of JJ's. So while waiting for them I stole the Groove Tube EL84's out of my Laney Cub head. The bad tube snapped at the base when wiggling it out. Tried using a cloth to pull the base out with no success. So I found some pointy bamboo BBQ skewers and pushed the sharp pointy end between the pins and the socket and it lifted. Did it between a couple more pins and it popped right out. Whew. It had all JJ preamp tubes, so I replaced them with a JJ 5751, Mullard CV 4004, and a Sovtek 12AX7-LPS in the PI. Kept the JJ ECC81S in the loop.

Now it's even more ferocious. Clarity, raw, punch, tight. Even at higher gain you hear every note of a chord. Immense. Palm mute and it kicks you in the chest. And with the new power tubes, 1 on the volume is too loud bother the neighbors loud through a Greenback 4x12. And the gain just keeps on going and going. I can't say enough superlatives for this amp. It's the honeymoon phase, but already I know this amp is my favorite. It's the sound in my head. Made me reassess EL84 tubes. Perfect from bluesy grit to classic rock crunch to 80s rock. I can't recommend it enough.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Man, great write-up. That thing sounds badass.

Congratulations!
Thanks! It is! Not sure how this amp wasn't on my radar as far as Oranges go. I think it is to Orange what the Studio Vintage is to Marshall. The perfect uncompromised small amp.

Congratulations! :)
a classic real Orange amp.
Thanks! It scratches the Orange itch for sure. :)

Wow!

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Enjoy!

:thumb:
Thanks! :thumb:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that…I've been thinking about an Orange 2nd. amp for my two Les Pauls.

Classicplayer
I'd recommend it unless you are looking for a pristine clean amp. If you are looking for slightly dirty to classic Orange crunch and up, go for it.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I beat you to it by a few months, but share your view of these wonderful amps. BTW, the cabs are killer too; best sounding cabs I've ever played.
View attachment 554055
I'd love a matching cab. Who knows, if I spot one I may jump. It came with a 1x12 Laney cab which I matched with my Laney Cub head.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I still ran tube amps, and particularly a plethora of 15=25 watt amps. the OR15 along with my '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb RI were my favorite,

Latest Threads