NAD Marshall SV20H

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m running the JHS in the loop also. Works well live for knocking the volume down just a touch, works in the house for evening sessions too. I put a reverb in the loop with it. Super fun.

Dazza

Reaction score
I’m running the JHS in the loop also. Works well live for knocking the volume down just a touch, works in the house for evening sessions too. I put a reverb in the loop with it. Super fun.
So I'd figure use these JHS Black Box type units in the effects loop reduce the level going to the output stage, leaving you with more preamp drive than power amp ? Is that not an audible difference with these non master circuits ?
I've been happy using various attenuators for decades despite 'poo-poo-er' opinions on tonal loss and/or impedance matching. But certainly with current multi faceted attenuator / recording devices that JHS box is a far more economical option.

Daz

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'd figure use these JHS Black Box type units in the effects loop reduce the level going to the output stage, leaving you with more preamp drive than power amp ? Is that not an audible difference with these non master circuits ?
I've been happy using various attenuators for decades despite 'poo-poo-er' opinions on tonal loss and/or impedance matching. But certainly with current multi faceted attenuator / recording devices that JHS box is a far more economical option.

Daz
The JHS LBB is basically a volume pot in the FX loop. Yes, it takes drive away from the output section as you “attenuate” by using it as “master volume” of sorts. If you dime the volumes, you still get plenty of drive even when dialing back the LBB. Some guys say it kills the overall feel, others don’t. I think it works great for taming it down a touch. The Marshall forum has a thread on this amp that’s hundreds of pages long with various opposing viewpoints.

Gridlock

Reaction score
I’m on the fence using this cab with ‘75’s inside. I maybe swapping the cab out with something different soon.

521490EC-0E75-4567-B97C-85B0D1A47A5B.jpeg

Latest Threads