NAD Marshall SV20H

Gridlock

Reaction score
Picked this up yesterday. Bought it used and in mint condition from a trusted local store.

20/5 watts and running two EL34’s. Supposed to emulate a mini Marshall 1959 Plexi.

Super loud and sounds really good, even through my homemade (gutted Mesa Mark IIB) 1x12 cab with a Greenback.

Now I need to find a used Marshall 1936 2x12 cab and load it with two Greenbacks or Blackbacks.

FE3E5932-3AAF-44C5-A66A-58EE81284B3D.jpeg

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the SV 20 combo, and right you are.

It was loud!

Good luck with your new amp! :thumb:

BKS

Reaction score
Maybe I should trade in my 1959 for one....or not...not that much difference between loud and louder I guess
But those are really nice amps I guess. Wonder how they compare to the real thing or even a 20 watt lead & bass.
Enjoy!

Gridlock

Reaction score
Maybe I should trade in my 1959 for one....or not...not that much difference between loud and louder I guess
But those are really nice amps I guess. Wonder how they compare to the real thing or even a 20 watt lead & bass.
Enjoy!
I previously owned two 1962HW’s and a 1962RI Bluesbreaker (combo versions of a JTM45). This amp reacts very similarly to my three Bluesbreaker’s and a couple of 4-hole JMP’s that I’ve owned.

The SV20H gets loud quickly and there are lots different tones available by jumping channels and tweaking Volumes 1 & 2.

Dazza

Reaction score
Congrats Gridlock.
I got one of these in a local deal the same time as you. I've been busy (thankfully) travelling / playing shows and not spent that much time at home with it. When I have fired it up it was through my 1973X' speakers. There's an obvious output increase over the 18watt 1973X, and possibly louder than the mini Jubilee I used to have ?

Having only used my 1973X for a long time I'm immediately hit by how aggressive this is. In more relative context my JMP and JTM heads have not been used in ages being mostly inappropriate to the gig and/or venue. I can see/hear why these little fellows are so popular, though it deserves 'better' tubes like the mini Jubilee's Tung Sol over the JJ's. 2 preamp tubes are microphonic. Being as new with little use it's simply Marshall's cost effective tube choice and easily remedied. The store price has increased during Covid with none available from Canadian dealers I'm aware of. Being in demand I jumped at the offer and happy with the price I paid. I reckon I'll have opportunities to use it with certain shows in the future. I've a JCM 800 1936 cab with replaced Greenbacks.

Hoorah for us
Daz

Last edited:

Gridlock

Reaction score
Congrats Gridlock.
I got one of these in a local deal the same time as you. I've been busy (thankfully) travelling / playing shows and not spent that much time at home with it. When I have fired it up it was through my 1973X' speakers. There's an obvious output increase over the 18watt 1973X, and possibly louder than the mini Jubilee I used to have ?

Having only used my 1973X for a long time I'm immediately hit by how aggressive this is. In more relative context my JMP and JTM heads have not been used in ages being mostly inappropriate to the gig and/or venue. I can see/hear why these little fellows are so popular, though it deserves 'better' tubes like the mini Jubilee's Tung Sol over the JJ's. 2 preamp tubes are microphonic. Being as new with little use it's simply Marshall's cost effective tube choice and easily remedied. The store price has increased during Covid with none available from Canadian dealers I'm aware of. Being in demand I jumped at the offer and happy with the price I paid. I reckon I'll have opportunities to use it with certain shows in the future. I've a JCM 800 1936 cab with replaced Greenbacks.

Hoorah for us
Daz
Your JCM800 1936 with Greenbacks should sound great with this amp.

I’m pretty happy with the amp. I’m using a JHS Amp Box in the loop. The JHS pedal acts like a Master Volume and seems to work well. I can now definitely get tube overdrive at bedroom volumes using the pedal.

The 1936 cab is bone stock and near mint condition. The previous owner removed the Marshall logo but I already have new Marshall logo is on order. I got a good price on the cab, if I decide that I don’t like the stock 75’s in the cab, I’ll probably sell the cab and buy an unloaded cab from Sourmash and load it with two Greenbacks or two vintage Blackbacks.

Latest Threads