NAD - Marshall SL5

black_label

Reaction score
marshalsl5.jpg

I have a Marshall SL-5 and i want to extend it with an additional cab 2x12 or 1x12.
Is there anyone who has tried other speakers? there are clips with a creamback and a g12h30 but i don't like this sound. I was thinking about a classic lead 80 or 2x greenback

theycallmegio

Reaction score
I have the SL5 and I love it. Just wish it had an fx loop.

the cleans are really nice sounding, and the gain channel is great. I disagree w/ the OP though, I don't think this works at bedroom volumes, esp at 5w. To get real saturation for an 80s rock sound you really have to drive the amp pretty loud. You can get away with a vintage rock sound a little quieter.

this amp really rocks and gets that 80s high gain sound if you turn it up loud.

i find the 1w mode unusable.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have the SL5 and I love it. Just wish it had an fx loop.

the cleans are really nice sounding, and the gain channel is great. I disagree w/ the OP though, I don't think this works at bedroom volumes, esp at 5w. To get real saturation for an 80s rock sound you really have to drive the amp pretty loud. You can get away with a vintage rock sound a little quieter.

this amp really rocks and gets that 80s high gain sound if you turn it up loud.

i find the 1w mode unusable.
Sure it sounds better when you drive the power tubes, but I still think it sounds good at lower volumes and not to much reverb. I put my RP500 through the clean channel as well, for some nice drop D metal and it kicks ass at low volumes for this with pedal on the clean channel. :dude:

This amp is bright though on it's own, so there is not that deep thumping bass to it without some help from pedal's.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have a Marshall SL-5 and i want to extend it with an additional cab 2x12 or 1x12.
Is there anyone who has tried other speakers? there are clips with a creamback and a g12h30 but i don't like this sound. I was thinking about a classic lead 80 or 2x greenback
I have the extra 1x12 cab with an Eminence Wizard, and it adds some more headroom to it for sure, especially since it's 103db. It definitely has some more range with the extra 1x12 added to it.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
This amp is bright though on it's own, so there is not that deep thumping bass to it without some help from pedal's.

Excellent point about the amp. Very bright and it can be pretty harsh if you don't tame it w/ the EQ.

what are you using it to give it extra thump/bass?

I love the amp but don't use it enough these days, i'm usually just using garabge band to keep the volume down :\

Jupa

Reaction score
Excellent point about the amp. Very bright and it can be pretty harsh if you don't tame it w/ the EQ.

I love the amp but don't use it enough these days, i'm usually just using garabge band to keep the volume down :\

It's funny, I've heard people say this before. I actually thought mine was too dark.... maybe it was my pick ups? No pedals, just my LP into the amp. Loved the tone, but always considered it dark, my MicroCube was brighter.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
It's funny, I've heard people say this before. I actually thought mine was too dark.... maybe it was my pick ups? No pedals, just my LP into the amp. Loved the tone, but always considered it dark, my MicroCube was brighter.

are you on 1 watt mode?

I find the tone in 1 watt mode is very muffled. I tried cranking up the prescence but it didn't sound good.

What kind of pickups? I'm n the same boat, LPs straight into the amp. No pedals.

Jupa

Reaction score
are you on 1 watt mode?

I find the tone in 1 watt mode is very muffled. I tried cranking up the prescence but it didn't sound good.

What kind of pickups? I'm n the same boat, LPs straight into the amp. No pedals.

Yes actually, I played mostly on the 1 watt mode as I used it as an apartment amp. Don't have the thing anymore. WB pick ups, a Habanero in the bridge and a Peter Green in the neck.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
makes sense, I figured that was the case. It's a great little amp, I am in an apt now and can't use it, but it's worth keeping imo.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
. It is a brighter amp for sure, which I think follows that 70's Marshall JCM 800 tone.

:thumb:

It has a V30 in it doesn't it? Brand new V30s tend to be like that, with the Mid Spike they have. Takes some breaking in for that bass to start filling in a little more.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
while that may be true of a new V30, I don't think the speaker is to blame for the amp's brightness.

I've had new cabs w/ V30s that didn't sound as harsh w/ other amps. Having said that, I don't think the amp is TOO bright. Very bright, but workable. It's a good amp, it just leans in that direction of the spectrum.

rjwilson37

Reaction score

I have it on the clean channel and then use my RP500, setting it on a Mesa Triple Rectifier and then just adjust the eq/gain to my liking. You don't need a ton of gain, it just has that nice deep ka/chunka metal tone to it.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
makes sense, I figured that was the case. It's a great little amp, I am in an apt now and can't use it, but it's worth keeping imo.
Yep, I'm definitely keeping mine. You can't even find/purchase them anymore new I'm finding.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
Yep, I'm definitely keeping mine. You can't even find/purchase them anymore new I'm finding.

no, definitely not. I found one new last year and it took an extensive search. There was a small shop in a podunk town a couple hours outside of the city that still had a couple in stock.

I did my research on all the competing small tube amps and the SL5 was the winner, the real work was trying to find one lol.

well worth it imo.

Gargoyle

Reaction score
Congrats on the amp.

I love mine, changed the speaker to an eminence private jack and to my ears sounds much better.
Got rid of the harshness and filled out the bottom end.:jam:

DADGAD

Reaction score
Last week a local shop had one for $499 recently marked down from $639. I had to put a deposit on it. one small ding in the tolex on the side. No big deal. $499 CAD right now is like $400 USD. That is too good for me to pass up. I've been wanting one since last year.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Last week a local shop had one for $499 recently marked down from $639. I had to put a deposit on it. one small ding in the tolex on the side. No big deal. $499 CAD right now is like $400 USD. That is too good for me to pass up. I've been wanting one since last year.
Congrats! Great deal on an SL5 for sure. I love my SL5, it sounds really good and you can crank the shit out of it without blowing your eardrums out. :dude:

nutsauce

Reaction score
Hey guys, what would be a fair price for a used one? I have two guys interested in selling me their SL5. We haven't talked price. They are both friends of mine so want it to be fair for both parties.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Hey guys, what would be a fair price for a used one? I have two guys interested in selling me their SL5. We haven't talked price. They are both friends of mine so want it to be fair for both parties.
I think around $500-$550 give or take a little. I purchased mine for $600 new, but you can't find these anymore.

Latest Threads