NAD - Marshall SL5 - and a few questions

ktj

Reaction score
My wife wanted to get me an amp along with a guitar for my birthday (see NGD - my first tele). As this would be something I keep - I wanted a Marshall.
I may, as a treat to myself get an OR15.
I already have a Micro Terror stack, though I play it through my Orange PPC 212. I was leaning towards the DSL 15H. Want a head so as to not take up too much room as I have a 212 already.
Was at L&M picking up the tele when i went to the rental/used room and they had a used Marshall SL5.
I've read great reviews of both.
I really wanted to like the DSL 15H as I'd already tried a DSL40C and love the clean/crunch tone.
The DSL 15H was all screwy. The clean was ok, but didn't get the same crunch as the DSL40C - the SL5 clean is superb.
The gain, as expected was a little bright but was able to tame it. Then it got odd. On the clean channel the volume was controlled by the volume on the other channel.

On the SL5 - I did like the gain settings too though still not completely sold on it.
So - the SL5 won.
The 1watt mode is great...I cranked it and wasn't hear too loud upstairs. 5 watt shook the floors a bit but great tone nonetheless. Playing it through the PPC 212 is incredible. Adds a lot of bass. Love the clean - still on the fence about the gain channel, I think I was really hoping for the ability to get that clean/crunch of the DSL40C.
Frustrating part is the footprint as the combo is quite large.

Then I plugged in the Orange Micro Terror. Aside from the clean channel, I think I like the various gain setting better (now have variety to go with my lack of attention span).

I'm loving Orange and as a treat to myself will likely pick up an OR15 if I can find one at a decent price.
But contemplating - would I be better with a Peavey Classic Mini Head?

Attachments

• DSC_7704.jpg
    DSC_7704.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_7708.jpg
    DSC_7708.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_7712.jpg
    DSC_7712.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 25

crazytrain513

Reaction score
While I can't speak for the Orange, the SL5 is miles ahead of the DSL. I would give it a try -- they're much harder to find (you can always get the DSL later).

I'll post something I posted in another thread about my time with the DSL:

Nice amp! I sold it to help fund a head but i had it for a good year or so. About the FX loop...IMO plugging straight in and adding some reverb was all I needed. Sometimes a wah too, which it took very well but I mean...of course it did :slash: for more heavy riffs I would clean boost with an MXR D+ with the output maxed and add overdrive to taste. All of these were straight into the amp!

Where the amp really shines is with all EQs around 1:00 and the presence around 11:00 on 5 watt mode or 3:00 in 1w mode. Gain sounds best anywhere between 10:30 and 2:00.

Just thought I'd throw in some things I figured out in the time I owned one.

Enjoy your new amp!

DADGAD

Reaction score
I think the gain channel is great. Dial it in to the brink of break up with the neck an then use the bridge cranked to rip. The low channel cranked with a tube screamer pushing it sounds great. This amp can do a lot of tones. It is not just a "Slash" amp. The full 12" V30 is the best part. Congrats!

ktj

Reaction score
Crazytrain - just tried dialing it in as you mentioned. It worked out really well. It's incredible with my LP, SG and Tele. The LTD did great when i cranked the gain up a wee bit more. Thanks for the suggestion!

DADGAD - I put it through my Orange PPC212 and it's incredible. Much more bass response than just the combo.

I'm definitely loving this amp and the DSL 15H is definitely out of mind now.

Marshall & Moonshine....those reviews are still why I'm contemplating the OR15...still may pull the trigger!

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Crazytrain - just tried dialing it in as you mentioned. It worked out really well. It's incredible with my LP, SG and Tele. The LTD did great when i cranked the gain up a wee bit more. Thanks for the suggestion!

DADGAD - I put it through my Orange PPC212 and it's incredible. Much more bass response than just the combo.

I'm definitely loving this amp and the DSL 15H is definitely out of mind now.

Marshall & Moonshine....those reviews are still why I'm contemplating the OR15...still may pull the trigger!

I'm glad they worked out for you ktj!

The DSL15 just didn't do it for me...the DSL40 was better but IMO, there's a reason why there are so many threads about how to mod them. If you want a good DSL, try the DSL5 -- I know, 10 inch speaker and baby brother of the other two but for some reason, that one spoke to me in ways the other two did not. Still preferred the SL5 though :slash:

As for the Orange, after listening to some clips I think it's a great amp in it's own right, so I guess it depends on the kinds of sounds you're looking for which seems to be more Marshall to me. Just remember that most of your sound is in your fingers -- I will be hard-pressed to tell a difference between when Jimmy Page uses his Orange vs his Marshall live -- he sounds like Jimmy regardless!

That being said, HNAD! Enjoy the amp in good health, it's a good one.

Latest Threads