NAD: Marshall Origin 50 1x12 Combo

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Been interested in these since they were announced at NAMM ... and my local store mailed me earlier this week to say they had some in! since I wasn’t getting on my with my Orange AD30 (I need to stop impulse buying EL84 amps ... I’m never happy with them!) I traded it in for this little beauty:

Front:

Back:

With it’s afternoon jamming buddy:

First impressions are good but - especially coming from the Orange - it’s VERY bright. Which I believe original Plexis could be as well? Anyway, I’ve been running with the Presence all the way down, which sounds great, and I can actually use the neck pickup on my 335 without it being muddy! I will probably end up trying a Creamback speaker in it - just my favourite 12” speaker and I’ve not yet found an amp I didn’t like more after fitting one!

Boost footswitch is very useful - with the gain maxed you can go from an “edge of breakup” to “mild breakup” without too much of a jump in volume. Anything dirtier really needs pedals ... or you can just dime the master for some power tube distortion!

Power settings seem very well judged: each is noticeable louder/quieter in a usable way and the tone of the amp doesn’t shift dramatically, although the 10W and 50W settings are noticeably fatter than the 1W. I can see real-world uses for it, too:
  • At home: either the 1W if you want to get your power tubes going or 10W for cleaner / pre-amp drive tones.
  • Gigs: 50W for a clean pedal platform or 10W to get a mix of pre- and power-tube saturation going on ... or 50W with both if you can really crank it ...
The 10W with a mix of pre- and power-tube overdrive was sounding great (if far too loud for “reasonable” use) at home today. I didn’t dare try the same thing in the 50W mode ... might be doable at a big gig ... got one coming up ... we shall see!

All in all seems a decent package and solidly made too. A good start. :)

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
It’s just a protective barrier between the speaker and the outside world but, unless I’m mistaken, it’s fretcloth - like you’d get over the front of a cab.

As to why ... I guess it allows for an “open back” style response? Lighter than a solid wood block? Your guess is as good as mine but I actually think it looks kinda neat. :)

Cjsinla

Reaction score
You didn’t mention the “tilt” control. That is supposed to be where you can chose the voicing of the amp, from the bright channel to the normal channel. It takes the place of the old jumper between the two channels.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
You didn’t mention the “tilt” control. That is supposed to be where you can chose the voicing of the amp, from the bright channel to the normal channel. It takes the place of the old jumper between the two channels.
Yup - it’s a great feature and the first “port of call” to dial the amp in for a particular guitar. I’m running it around 10 o’clock to get just a little more of the “normal” channel than the “bright”, to fatten things up.

I think it’s a rubbish name though, I’d have preferred “Blend” or even the often-used, never-the-same-thing “Contour” over “Tilt” but that’s marketing for ya!

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Yup - it’s a great feature and the first “port of call” to dial the amp in for a particular guitar. I’m running it around 10 o’clock to get just a little more of the “normal” channel than the “bright”, to fatten things up.

I think it’s a rubbish name though, I’d have preferred “Blend” or even the often-used, never-the-same-thing “Contour” over “Tilt” but that’s marketing for ya!
Right, tilt is a funny name but you did say the amp sounds bright so I was thinking that the tilt control might help with that.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Just played my new Origin 50w combo against my Marshall JTM45 RI.
I REALLY LIKE the amp. I have the gain all the way up. It sounds like a plexi. Its bright. I have Presence off and Treble very low.
Not real gainy. Kinda like Duane and Dicky or Kossoff tone.
This thing gets loud like a real NMV 50w.
I use a Barber Direct Drive or Super Crunch Box with my JTM45.
The Origin sounds great with the pedals.
In some ways I prefer the Origin over the 45.
It will probably sound even better after amp and speaker break in.
And with different tubes and possibly warmer bias.
Next experiment will be plugging into other speakers.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I REALLY LIKE the amp. I have the gain all the way up. It sounds like a plexi. Its bright. I have Presence off and Treble very low.
Koss Tone: :drool:

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Yeh, I’ve been running with Presence at 0, Treble at 2, Bass at 5 with Tilt slightly towards the “normal” channel and Middle pushed a little. Sounds great.

I agree it takes pedals well: both my Box of Rock and Euphoria sound great through it. I had to switch the Euphoria to Crunch/Smooth mode as Open was a bit too “brittle” but the Box of Rock sounded great with my standard 3/4 gain setting.

Best pedal I’ve tried - well, “most satisfying” I guess - is my battered old DOD 250 OD, which was otherwise gathering dust. With gain and level around 3/4, or even gain maxed, it really kicks the front end and you get a great heavier crunch tone. I guess a tubescreamer would work similarly but I don’t have one of those. :)

frater106

Reaction score
How do you owners like the cleans from this amp? Are they any good? What are they like?

ezra1

Reaction score
I have been using one for a couple of years and it is great.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, tilt is a funny name but you did say the amp sounds bright so I was thinking that the tilt control might help with that.
A lot of amps sound bright next to an Orange....

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
How do you owners like the cleans from this amp? Are they any good? What are they like?
Well, it’s been 3 years so I’ve had at least 12 amps since then ... ;)

This one actually went back to have the notorious “extension speaker socket issue” fixed and it took so long that I gave up and got my money back! I did have the 20W version in head form with a 2x12 for a while and that was good - could crank it a bit more to get a ”fuller” tone out of it - but I had issues with lugging all that around.

I”m currently running a Fender Twin Tone Master (yikes!) which is super light and getting my Marshall-style gain using a Victory Sheriff valve preamp into the front.

it works ... but I really want a 2x12 Marshall Origin combo with Celestion Neo Creambacks or something ... I always seem to want something Marshall doesn’t quite make ...

Last edited:

frater106

Reaction score
Just get the head and an empty cabinet and install your choice of speakers. The Origin bands are actually pretty inexpensive. If you buy your replacement speakers then you can sell your original ones online or something-provided you know what you're committing to.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m really digging my Neo Creamback in an avatar tweed cab. My SV20 Marshall will be here tomorrow, hopefully in good shape so i can play it out on Saturday. The cab is only 18# and I believe the head is 20#. Beats carrying this, although I’m thinking of putting neo CB’s in it too.

Happy NMAD

Wow, zombie thread I read years ago. Lol.

7EF57952-A84B-49D0-BF74-08409B60B4BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads