NAD: Marshall Origin 20H - love it!

pillbug

Reaction score
I've been doing some amp shopping lately as noted elsewhere: Upgrade from Marshall Origin 5C to 20C worth 300 bucks?

Finally lucked into a Marshall Origin 20H and I am very happy. Took a guitar to my local luthier to look at (it ended up being fine lol) and he had a used Origin 20H and a 2001 LP Custom ... came home with both. :)

Spent the afternoon cranking it at home. So far I'm really digging it for bluesy/rock lead tones. Will give it a full test with pedals soon.

Someone described this as "Marshall finally built the amp we asked for and turns out, we don't really want it" or something like that. I guess I'd agree with that but I love the amp for what it is, and can't imagine a SC20 or SV20 would really sound $700+ better (to me) so I think I'm set for awhile.

Anyone else love theirs? The pedal on top is a Foxpedal The Wave (Dly+Rvb into the FX loop).

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Congratulations, I’ve had mine about a year and very happy with it. 3 ODs in front with EQ, reverb and chorus through the loop provides a a lot of tone options. Enjoy!

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I like that simple setup. I could easily get to like that amp/Les Paul pairing.

Classicplayer

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’m older and don’t play particularly loud. Most of what I’ve read suggests loop is good for time effects and they sound good to me that way too. You’ve got yours there already. I like classic rock so ODs are up my alley. I have an Archer Ikon, OCD-Ge, and TS5 (90’s Ibanez soundtank- don’t laugh). They each provide a different flavor with the OCD being the most Marshall - like overdrive (to my ears). I wasn’t able to get the kind of drive with just the amp at my volumes, Les Paul Studio with 490s, so ODs really help.

I guess, try to listen to some different pedals and see what will suit your tastes - OD, Fuzz, Distortion, Metal, etc. There is a large variety of quality pedals out there. Good luck and enjoy!

pillbug

Reaction score
I’m older and don’t play particularly loud. Most of what I’ve read suggests loop is good for time effects and they sound good to me that way too. You’ve got yours there already. I like classic rock so ODs are up my alley. I have an Archer Ikon, OCD-Ge, and TS5 (90’s Ibanez soundtank- don’t laugh). They each provide a different flavor with the OCD being the most Marshall - like overdrive (to my ears). I wasn’t able to get the kind of drive with just the amp at my volumes, Les Paul Studio with 490s, so ODs really help.

I guess, try to listen to some different pedals and see what will suit your tastes - OD, Fuzz, Distortion, Metal, etc. There is a large variety of quality pedals out there. Good luck and enjoy!
You just reminded me I have a CS-Plimsoul (Ge) that I can hook up. I also have a Friedman Smallbox pedal on the way =)

BRMarshall

Reaction score
There you go. The 20H woks well my pedals so yours should provide so nice tones. With the Origin’s tone shaping, you can flavor them nicely. The OCD-Ge has lowered the urge for adding a DSL20HR to the family. Have fun with tones!

pillbug

Reaction score
There you go. The 20H woks well my pedals so yours should provide so nice tones. With the Origin’s tone shaping, you can flavor them nicely. The OCD-Ge has lowered the urge for adding a DSL20HR to the family. Have fun with tones!
The CS-Plimsoul is too much of a fuzz pedal as it turns out. But, I’m getting a great sound with:
cmatmods deluxe compressor > mojo hand fx rook > Greer special request > into front of amp
with the wave or panda context in the loop
:rock:

BRMarshall

Reaction score
One nice thing is that the Origin seems to work well with pedals, so adding a new pedal opens up a new set of tones and possibilities.

neoclassical

Reaction score
Congrats, I'm trying to talk myself out of getting one. I don't need it, but I want it.

eslover

Reaction score
Would some of you chime in and tell me what the major differences are in construction between the Origin and Studio series amps?

I’m having a hard time understanding the difference in price tags.

speyfly

Reaction score
clap.gif

Congrats! Make sure you drop a EQ into the loop, really will make the amp come alive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Had the head, and actually sold it to get a combo (came up in money somehow). I like the Origin series, its a nice contrast to my Tiny Terror and my half watt amp.

Latest Threads