NAD - Marshall JCM800 Studio Classic

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My new amp arrived yesterday, I did not get to spend much time with it, but did spend some time plugged straight in for about 20 minutes, very sweet 70's/80's rock tone for sure. I then went through my FireHawk FX, where I will definitely have to adjust my effects, they are definitely not setup right for this amp, since it is so much brighter and different than my Dark Terror. I went to see Muse last night with my daughter who is visiting from Michigan for a week. She leaves early tomorrow, so I should be able to get some serious play time with it on Thursday and Friday.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot diggity dog. CONGRATS.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thank you everyone!

I got to spend another hour with it today and just switching to the low sensitivity input gives you a really big drop in volume and pre-amp gain, which helped with my FireHawk FX effects. I did not have to modify much with my effects while in the low input, it sounded very good and just messing with the controls you can really get a lot of different tone options. Between your guitar volume/tone and the amps settings, this is not a one trick pony amp at all. Someone had mentioned it did that one tone that everyone wants, and it did it well, but was not very versatile. I have to disagree totally from just the hour I spent with it and I am sure there is a lot more that I can do with it. Also, Damn this Amp can get really loud kicking it out and is still very clear hearing everything... very nice indeed. At first I was wondering if I was really going to like it, since I do love the Dark Terror's gain so much, but the Dark Terror is exactly that, very Dark and can't get that Billy Squier tone, where the Marshall JCM800 Studio Classic really has a lot more versatility.

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
Congrats! If you get the chance, put a tube screamer in front of the amp, level 100%, drive 0% or close to 0.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have the Boss Overdrive SD-1, not a tube screamer. But I can use a Tube Screamer from my FireHawk FX.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I did some back and forth today between the Dark Terror and the Studio Classic. Overall, the Studio Classic won, I really do like the tone and versatility I can get from it compared to the Dark Terror. Life is really good, when you have that tone and crunch that you love.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I've been reading up on the Marshall SC; not that I need one right now. My Dark Terror is aptly named. Dark because it is, due to Orange's design of emphasizing the lower mids. The Marshall
should be brighter by a fair amount due to the emphasis on the upper mids, thus probably making it the “winner” for a brightness comparison. Moreover, “Terror” because I can make my DT pretty
“Pi#$&* off” sounding by the amount of gain I tweak into it.

I can imagine that if I had the Marshall I could zip around the guitar fingerboard faster whereas the Orange benefits more from a slower “plodding” type of playing. How loud are you playing the DT? I find that a decent amount of volume helps produce a brighter sound and also you should keep the guitars' volumes way up.

Classicplayer

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am at Apartment volume levels for the most part, not cranking it at all. I sometimes give it some volume for a little bit, but not for long and still not a volume that kicks it out to where it really should be played at and hitting the sweet spot.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I am at Apartment volume levels for the most part, not cranking it at all. I sometimes give it some volume for a little bit, but not for long and still not a volume that kicks it out to where it really should be played at and hitting the sweet spot.
I hear ya'. That's about how I use my DT. When my wife spends time out, is when I push the volume more, but it is home volume and even my ears have a limit. As long as the clean and gainy sounds come out of that V30 clearly and with authority, I'm staying with it.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ok, I am sad to say that I am going to return the new Marshall JCM800 Studio Classic. Overall, for the price paid, it just does not have enough versatility with the tone that I was hoping for. You move the Presence, Treble, Mids and Bass around as well as the gain and volume, but it is still was pretty subtle compared to other amps in this price range. I wish the Mids could also scoop more like the Dark Terror can. I will have to spend more to get a more versatile amp that has it all I guess. I would like to have more gain from an amp than this can give me, as well have some more versatility with the tone knobs. I played a lot yesterday because there was still something not giving me that killer gain tone I was looking for and I could not find it.

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am sad to say that I am going to return the new Marshall JCM800 Studio Classic. Overall, for the price paid, it just does not have enough versatility with the tone that I was hoping for. You move the Presence, Treble, Mids and Bass around as well as the gain and volume, but it is still was pretty subtle compared to other amps in this price range. I wish the Mids could also scoop more like the Dark Terror can. I will have to spend more to get a more versatile amp that has it all I guess. I would like to have more gain from an amp than this can give me, as well have some more versatility with the tone knobs. I played a lot yesterday because there was still something not giving me that killer gain tone I was looking for and I could not find it.
Bummer. But yup, why settle if it ain't giving you the sound you're looking for.

What are you looking at instead?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Looking at the Rockerverb 50 MKIII and the Rocker 15 Terror. It depends on how much money I want to spend, as well as the weight and size of the Rockerverb compared to the rocker 15 terror. The Rockerverb is definitely overkill for what I need at home, but the attenuator would really help with that. But again still overkill for home use. I may just start off with the rocker 15 terror for this year. It gives me more versatility than my Dark terror, Plus it has the headroom/bedroom for a one watt and half watt setting.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I was also just a little bit disappointed between the MK II and the MK III, that the MK II had a mid range for the clean channel and The MK III only has bass and treble.

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Rockerverb 50 MKIII and the Rocker 15 Terror. It depends on how much money I want to spend, as well as the weight and size of the Rockerverb compared to the rocker 15 terror. The Rockerverb is definitely overkill for what I need at home, but the attenuator would really help with that. But again still overkill for home use. I may just start off with the rocker 15 terror for this year. It gives me more versatility than my Dark terror, Plus it has the headroom/bedroom for a one watt and half watt setting.
It's really nice sounding--I test drove the Rocker 15 combo. Ended yo returning it because I don't need the clean channel. I preferred it through my PPC112, but with the Rocker Terror it's a nonissue for you.

The bedroom setting was nice.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, it should be a fun new amp for me. It won’t be as dark and have a lot more versatility for sure. It sounds like it has a nice tight full gain as well.

CaptainT

Reaction score
Did you try a mini silver jubilee yet? Could be worth a test at least.

eaglewolf

Reaction score
Although I haven’t had the opportunity to play one yet, that seems to be what I’ve heard people say about the JCM800 in any version, let alone this one. Still, I love the tone I’ve heard from that amp and hopefully one day will own it for myself.

Though I wouldn’t consider myself to be an expert on the topic, I found Mesa’s to be among the most versatile amps I’ve tried this side of a modeler, assuming you like their tone. (I’ve owned the Roadster and TA-15, and played through the Mark V, Express, Lonestar, and a few others.)

Too bad the Studio Classic didn’t work for you. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for.

Latest Threads