NAD - Marshall DSL40C Limited Edition

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I just had to get one, since I really like the way these amps sound. The clean is a little weak, since you really need to turn it up to get a really nice tone and then when you hit the crunch mode on the first channel it will blow your ears out. I wonder why they designed the DSL models this way on the clean channel side. The Ultra Gain 1 and 2 have more gain on tap than you ever really need, which I guess is a good thing to not run out of gain. :dude:

I played it at GC for a while and just have not hit it at home yet, maybe tomorrow I will get a chance to kick it out at home. :thumb:

I sold my Marshall SL-5 to fund this purchase, since I purchased the SL-5 instead of the DSL40C this past year and was still wanting the DSL40C over the SL-5. :cool:
marshall_dsl40c.jpg

crazytrain513

Reaction score
I had an SL5 and was GASing for one of these (I'm a huge Randy Rhoads fan so white Marshalls really bring out the GAS). Why did you sell your SL5 for this one out of curiousity?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I had an SL5 and was GASing for one of these (I'm a huge Randy Rhoads fan so white Marshalls really bring out the GAS). Why did you sell your SL5 for this one out of curiousity?
The SL-5 even with the Bass all the way up, could not get a really full deep tone to it. Maybe it's because it is only 5w, but I do like a deeper fuller tone in a tube amp.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!

I did get to play with it for an hour this morning with no one at home. Oh Yea... Me's a like it a lot! :thumb: It took my RP500 very well, and the Clean Channel with a Van Halen JCM tone, to a nice Metal tone with a triple or double rectifier sounded totally awesome at the lower volume that the clean channel has going on without the crunch engaged. You can turn the clean channel up with the gain at 1/4 to just below half and it get's loud and still sounds great.

The clean sounds really good and the crunch even better, hitting that early AC/DC to Back in Black era very well. The gain even on OD1 is a lot, but very tameable, and the OD2 really kicks it up a notch, so I have all the gain I would ever really need. I am not sure if I'm going to keep my Blackheart now, even though I got it modded, since this 20/40w Marshall is the cat's meow for sure especially with the price you pay for it. I like the Celestion Seventy 80 speaker, so I don't see a speaker swap is needed, even though a lot of people are getting the cream back model or putting a cream back in them.

marshall_dsl40c_bedroom.jpg

Latest Threads