NAD! Marshall dsl15h and 2x12 cab.

onedaycloser

Reaction score
Did some horse trading this week and ended up with a new amp. Marshall dsl15h and a matching 2x12. My first 2x12 and this thing sounds huge! Really gets some thump going even at lowish volume.

Kind of surprised at the 6v6 tubes as they're not a real common Marshall tube but I don't mind with this tone happening.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220125-092206_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-092206_Facebook.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20220125-092157_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-092157_Facebook.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 14

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and happy NAD :)

kelsodeez

Reaction score
The marshall dsl line are some of the best sounding tube amps around. I have a silver jubilee and a dsl100 and I'm choosing the dsl more and more these days.

onedaycloser

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, couldn't be happier with the way this thing sounds. Just got home from work and cranked it up a bit and ...

:dude::dude::dude:.

fry

Reaction score
Ya know I'm not sure right off the bat. I'll have to look lol.

Celestion Seventy 80s according to Sweetwater. Previous owner didn't mention any different. They sound fine to me, never was much of a speaker aficionado.
People crap on the Seventy 80 but I’ve heard that they are pretty good in a closed back cabinet. I read once where a guy said he had four of them in a 4X12 well broken in, and he said it sounded awesome.

Deftone

Reaction score
Ya know I'm not sure right off the bat. I'll have to look lol.

Celestion Seventy 80s according to Sweetwater. Previous owner didn't mention any different. They sound fine to me, never was much of a speaker aficionado.
Respectfully, I'm not a "speaker aficionado" either. But IMHO you should a least have a little bit of knowledge on the subject. I believe speakers are as integral to shaping your tone as your guitar, pickups, amp and cabinet. Maybe more. Finding the right combination can result in tone that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

In my limited experience, you really can't wrong with any Celestion. So you're OK there.

fry

Reaction score
Finding the right combination can result in tone that is greater than the sum of it's parts.
Yeah, I’m one of those people that went down the rabbit hole of trying every speaker a time or two. I briefly had one of those Blackstar 20 W combo amps. I was convinced that the speaker was lightweight and flimsy, and had to be upgraded. I put a nice Celestion in there, and you know what? It didn’t sound a bit better than the factory stock speaker. Some people are happy with the speakers that the factory installed, I admire that, they are probably better off for it.

Deftone

Reaction score
The marshall dsl line are some of the best sounding tube amps around. I have a silver jubilee and a dsl100 and I'm choosing the dsl more and more these days.
I listened hard to a comparison between the DSL20H and the SC20H and I thought the SC sounded a tiny little bit better but in the end it didn't justify the difference in price. The DSL is an absolute tone busting bargain.

Yeah, I’m one of those people that went down the rabbit hole of trying every speaker a time or two. I briefly had one of those Blackstar 20 W combo amps. I was convinced that the speaker was lightweight and flimsy, and had to be upgraded. I put a nice Celestion in there, and you know what? It didn’t sound a bit better than the factory stock speaker. Some people are happy with the speakers that the factory installed, I admire that, they are probably better off for it.
I think the factory designs speakers for the amp and vice versa. A lot of time the factory speakers are your best bet.

To me, tone testing & mixing and matching are part of the fun. Like swapping pickups.

fry

Reaction score
I think the factory designs speakers for the amp and vice versa.
Certainly true when it’s boutique amps you’re talking about. I saw something from Richard Goodsell online once. He said somebody contacted him, they had purchased one of his amps, and wanted to know what speaker he recommended. He said “the speaker I put in it when I built it!“

Latest Threads