NAD - Laney Cub 15 head

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I'm now a Laney artist!

Well, I now own a Laney, anyways. Sold my Blackstar HT-5RH and bought this for the same price. Even Steven. And even though I loved the HT-5, I love this wayyyyyyyyyy more. It suits me so well. It's a classic rock monster through a 4x12. I've always loved that grainy Laney distortion that borders on fuzz, and this gets very close too it. Think of it as a 15watt Supergroup in a fugly box. Didn't expect that with EL84s, but it works. I've heard some say it sounds like a Vox. I only hear that maybe in the cleans. Get into crunch and distortion, and it's a beast. In 15 watt mode, its got a brighter, tighter pre-amp distortion, but in 0.75 watt mode, you get that fuller, saggier roar. And >1 watt is still LOUD. 112DB max gain/volume. I'm seriously impressed. May like it better than all my other amps.

Now the negatives. First, it's fugly. If they put this in a classic Laney box, or even put salt and pepper Supergroup grill cloth in a square opening, it would sell like hotcakes. Second, the controls are on the top. So if you have it on top of other heads on a 4x12, it's annoying to get at the controls. So I set it on the floor to use it. Third it has a very short power cord. Again, why it's on the floor.

But I forgive all that because it sounds so immense. Works great with pedals, but it sounds best on its own. Pedals change the character, but it's own character suits me best. Don't hear much about the Cub 15 head, but it's a secret little sleeper.

Last edited:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I had heard a few clips of the Laney LA30BL on ThatPedalShow and Andertons and lusted after that tone, but couldn't justify that kind of money for a NMV amp with no loop. Would be a luxury. When this came up I listened to the very few YouTube clips I could find and heard the same character and tone that made me lust after the LA30. Jumped at the opportunity and wasn't disappointed. Such a sleeper little amp.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
I prefer the clean tones out of my Cub 12R combo. Has nice headroom even for 15w, pairs good with good transparent OD pedals.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I prefer the clean tones out of my Cub 12R combo. Has nice headroom even for 15w, pairs good with good transparent OD pedals.
It does. I've tried it both ways (clean with pedals vs amp gain) and both are excellent. Through the 4x12 with mixed Greenbacks and 75s, the amp gain works best for me. It's supposed to be based on a hot-rodded JCM 800 preamp. What's scary is I like it better than all my more expensive amps. It's literally putting in my head to sell the Marshalls. Yeesh. FIGHT IT! :Ohno:

NHTom

Reaction score
I've got the 1x12 combo version and I have to say they are a lot of "bang for the buck".

Very affordable, and a great sound.

enjoy!

NHTom

pillbug

Reaction score
Congrats. Those are great amps. Underrated IMHO. I had a Cub 212 that could do AC/DC all day long.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Happy belated Nad!
Any thoughts on the low wattage mode for bedroom use? Still too loud?

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Happy belated Nad!
Any thoughts on the low wattage mode for bedroom use? Still too loud?
Thanks! If you mean can you crank it full on in a bedroom setting? No way. I measured full gain and volume at 112-115db at 1 watt through a Greenback and G12T-75. So it's still loud.

But, when I play at 3-4 on the master volume, it's reasonably loud and still pushes the power section. Nice full tube amp sound and grind. When I switch over to the 15 watt setting at the same volume level, you get that brighter, crisper pre-amp gain. You can get great tones at any level in both wattage settings. I play it quiet and loud. But 1 watt will get a fuller tone at quieter levels and is what I mainly play it at.

Latest Threads