NAD: It was free!

Raider08

Reaction score
I scored a Peavey Heritage VTX yesterday afternoon. It did't cost a dime.. It looks like it's got it's fair share of problems, but I think I can get it going for pretty cheap.

It's in rough shape right now. I have the black widow that's pulled out of it, but I'm guessing the speaker coil has a break in it because I've got no continuity at the speaker tabs.. All of the resistors and caps are pretty close to where they should be. I ran it to my tech yesterday, and he gave me a set of junk 6l6's to use for testing, but I think one of them has a short, so I'll swap with him today. The foot switch was hard wired (It looks like they used electrical tape and bailing wire...) but it supposedly worked last time it was turned on. It's missing the chasis straps, and only has one chasis bolt holding it together, but outside of that, I think it's going to work. The best part is that we've got one of these in the shop that's been here for several years that someone abandoned, so I should be able to get parts for free or really cheap.

If it doesn't work out, I've got a really, really heavy paper weight. This sucker weighs a little more than 90 lbs.. Thank Jesus for casters. =]

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
That's an underrated amp.
Friend has one that I serviced and it sounds quite good!

Congrats.

:D

zontar

Reaction score
Cool, can't complain about the price--enjoy the experience...

jay1williams

Reaction score
those old Peaveys are tanks - should be up in no time - nice score!

Raider08

Reaction score
That's an underrated amp.
Friend has one that I serviced and it sounds quite good!

Congrats.

:D
Question for you since you've worked on one.. Any idea what the diodes in the power supply should be testing, the lettering is gone on them, but I've got some nasty hum coming from the amp.

Trea

Reaction score
I had one back in the 80's. Carrying that thing up stairs was a real bitch for a skinny kid like me :)

Latest Threads