NAD: Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb

rich85

Reaction score
Starting a new thread as I ended up with a different amp. I realised I couldn’t fit the Super Reverb in my room as my main practice amp, I didn’t actually think about it until I did some measurements. So I went with the Deluxe instead.

I honestly thought I would not like the Deluxe as I assumed it would lack midrange. It doesnt. At all. Plugging my Les Paul into it the midrange just balances between the Treble and Bass settings, really no need for a control.

My main complaint on this amp is Fender selling it still with the ridiculously bad Reverb firmware. Fair enough if they want to keep the Bright cap, but it’s a joke at this point with the Reverb. I actually installed the “Blonde” firmware so the Reverb is fixed, no Bright cap and Celestion IR’s for when I record. It did only take 2 minutes but sort of annoying on a brand new amp.

So after doing that I must say I really can’t fault this amp. In store I compared it to the 68 Deluxe and I really could not hear much difference, if any. They both sounded like Deluxe Reverbs, funny that.

So anyway, if you are interested in getting one of these I can’t recommend them highly enough. Amazing lightweight amps that can do Duo gigs at a cafe or loud heavy rock gigs.

The 4x10 Super Reverb is still on the list of amps to buy, I just need a band first.

B8F0C12B-067D-4268-BEBE-B93A1469C47D.jpeg
5CE76C85-D6E8-432C-A89E-748E26A7A5B0.jpeg
14FB1F84-3CCA-4B46-BACD-633F45A659B3.jpeg
BD0BE464-14EE-4F5C-B973-3D9A64201AFE.jpeg

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I received a new Tone Master Deluxe Reverb the other day and I’m sad to say that it’s going back. I already have a TM Twin Reverb, and the new Deluxe will never compare with the Twin or my former DRRI. I had high hopes that the new TM Deluxe would work out, but it made me realize just how great my Twin Reverb is. It’s everything the TM Deluxe isn’t.

rich85

Reaction score
I received a new Tone Master Deluxe Reverb the other day and I’m sad to say that it’s going back. I already have a TM Twin Reverb, and the new Deluxe will never compare with the Twin or my former DRRI. I had high hopes that the new TM Deluxe would work out, but it made me realize just how great my Twin Reverb is. It’s everything the TM Deluxe isn’t.

Did you do the Reverb fix??

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that Fender created the hype and it took seed on the internet and grew exponentially, but I wish so much of the conversation wasn't centered around "sounds just like". Mine sits on the floor next to a boutique Vibrolux. Does it sound "just like"? No. How can it? Does it have 237 different settings and 600 effects? No. Does it sound pretty amazing, have the best DI I've had on an amp to date, have a useful power setting, master volume on the line out, do a fantastic job of doing what its supposed to do, weigh 22 lbs that even I can toss around and throw in the car, sound great enough that outside of my bedroom I'd dare anybody to hear the difference, operate with the ease of a SS with none of the fears or hassles plus allows the easiest and best home recording I've heard? YES! It's a one trick pony that does the trick very well and was just what I was looking for. It does what I want it to do both at home and away better than anything I've tried to date. It's a tool like any other. For me, it's the right tool for the job. I couldn't be happier.
Congrats on yours!
tm.jpg

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Did you do the Reverb fix??
No, and I didn’t do it for my Twin Reverb either. The Twin didn’t need it. I owned a Deluxe Reverb Reissue for twelve years. I stupidly sold it, regretted selling it and thought this would take its place. I was wrong. Nothing is the same. The rich tone, the dynamics and the feel aren’t there.

Reactions: tzd

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, and I didn’t do it for my Twin Reverb either. The Twin didn’t need it. I owned a Deluxe Reverb Reissue for twelve years. I stupidly sold it, regretted selling it and thought this would take its place. I was wrong. Nothing is the same. The rich tone, the dynamics and the feel aren’t there.
…..and I wouldn’t argue with you. Totally get why it didn’t do it for you. For me, it doesn’t replace my other, but compliments it. It does what I want it to well.

Last edited:

rich85

Reaction score
I get that Fender created the hype and it took seed on the internet and grew exponentially, but I wish so much of the conversation wasn't centered around "sounds just like". Mine sits on the floor next to a boutique Vibrolux. Does it sound "just like"? No. How can it? Does it have 237 different settings and 600 effects? No. Does it sound pretty amazing, have the best DI I've had on an amp to date, have a useful power setting, master volume on the line out, do a fantastic job of doing what its supposed to do, weigh 22 lbs that even I can toss around and throw in the car, sound great enough that outside of my bedroom I'd dare anybody to hear the difference, operate with the ease of a SS with none of the fears or hassles plus allows the easiest and best home recording I've heard? YES! It's a one trick pony that does the trick very well and was just what I was looking for. It does what I want it to do both at home and away better than anything I've tried to date. It's a tool like any other. For me, it's the right tool for the job. I couldn't be happier.
Congrats on yours!
View attachment 599537

Everything you said is why myself and friends love the amp. I am not obsessed with the DR sound. I just like Fender amps. The only one I have liked is the 68 Custom and according to my mate who works at Fender amps it is quite literally the 65 DRRI with a different speaker. The whole Bassman side stuff is complete rubbish and just Fender making up stuff as the V Type speaker sounds so different to the Jensen. So anyway that’s why I put a Neo V Type in my Tonemaster.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Everything you said is why myself and friends love the amp. I am not obsessed with the DR sound. I just like Fender amps. The only one I have liked is the 68 Custom and according to my mate who works at Fender amps it is quite literally the 65 DRRI with a different speaker. The whole Bassman side stuff is complete rubbish and just Fender making up stuff as the V Type speaker sounds so different to the Jensen. So anyway that’s why I put a Neo V Type in my Tonemaster.
Congrats dude. Enjoy the heck out of that amp. Ignore people that are haters. As the phrase goes, haters going to hate. Most are just unhappy people, want everyone else to be unhappy too, so crap all over what you like.

MUCH better recordings above.

FWIW the 68 Custom, on the left, or custom side is a slight different circuit. , particularly arounf the negative feedback portion. Also has the Bassman Tone circuit. I had one. It's the one amp I miss, if any, after I went digital (specially what I paid, and what they cost now, yikes). Did sound good with the V Type speaker.

ARandall

Reaction score
I think the central point here is the 'what it should sound like'.....and whether it does or not. And a lot of people seem to judge based on what it doesn't sound like rather than assessing what it can sound like.

I'm just in the middle of building a bunch of kits of amp clones of iconic old tube amps. Most of the threads about these sort of things is a bunch of idiots gatekeeping about how they don't quite sound 100% like the 60's version of it......Well, I've never played the amp type even once in any form so its not like I'm going to know what is missing or there. So I just turn it on and make it work for my playing.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the central point here is the 'what it should sound like'.....and whether it does or not. And a lot of people seem to judge based on what it doesn't sound like rather than assessing what it can sound like.

I'm just in the middle of building a bunch of kits of amp clones of iconic old tube amps. Most of the threads about these sort of things is a bunch of idiots gatekeeping about how they don't quite sound 100% like the 60's version of it......Well, I've never played the amp type even once in any form so its not like I'm going to know what is missing or there. So I just turn it on and make it work for my playing.
Well, I doubt that anybody on the spur of the moment can listen to a recording and tell you what amp is being used.... :)

Better to just answer "Champ" every single time... Sucker has been fooling folks for decades... ;)

rich85

Reaction score

Yep indeed. It’s kinda weird how much people will argue points that are just silly. I do know one thing, the Tonemaster sounds much better run straight into the desk then an original. Ha!

Actually after I picked mine up a mate that isn’t an amp snob but likes amps with 6L6 tubes as a general rule, picked up the Blonde version and is now selling his other amps. Obviously because it sounds good but all the other features makes it win out for a gigging musician.

Everything is getting quieter. People are living in smaller and smaller houses and units. Stage volumes lower and volume levels stricter. You can get a Tonemaster cheaper than an Ox attenuator. So eh I know obviously what my choice is. But people can do what they want.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep indeed. It’s kinda weird how much people will argue points that are just silly. I do know one thing, the Tonemaster sounds much better run straight into the desk then an original. Ha!

Actually after I picked mine up a mate that isn’t an amp snob but likes amps with 6L6 tubes as a general rule, picked up the Blonde version and is now selling his other amps. Obviously because it sounds good but all the other features makes it win out for a gigging musician.

Everything is getting quieter. People are living in smaller and smaller houses and units. Stage volumes lower and volume levels stricter. You can get a Tonemaster cheaper than an Ox attenuator. So eh I know obviously what my choice is. But people can do what they want.
How does it take pedals. One thing my former 68 Custom DR excelled at, was as a pedal platform.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Heck two different tube amp x models will sound a little bit different. That's what you always hear about nIt doesn't sound exactly like _______ (even though same people often fail blind tests). But, does it sound good? Thas what really matters. Can it make tones you can create music with, Can it make your tone.

Latest Threads