NAD! Fender 68 Vibro Champ Reverb

whatshisname

Reaction score
It was waiting for me when I got home. Thirty-something years have passed since I had my original, but this one does sound nice! The tremolo sounds fantastic, and the digital reverb works nicely. However, the speaker doesn't break up as much as I recall my old one did. But, I'm sure the larger, and probably more efficient, speaker is at least part of the reason. It could probably use a bit of breaking in...? Curiously, it doesn't seem to take my fuzzes very well. I'm a bit puzzled. Any words of wisdom on that?

ARandall

Reaction score
I've only got the 68 Deluxe.....but its not quite the same as the typical Deluxe. Maybe the slight changes typical of this series that make it not play as well with certain things.

whatshisname

Reaction score
Right. They're not so much a "reissue" as they are modern interpretations. Still, you'd think that they'd take overdrives or fuzzes well. Hmmm...

mdubya

Reaction score
It was waiting for me when I got home. Thirty-something years have passed since I had my original, but this one does sound nice! The tremolo sounds fantastic, and the digital reverb works nicely. However, the speaker doesn't break up as much as I recall my old one did. But, I'm sure the larger, and probably more efficient, speaker is at least part of the reason. It could probably use a bit of breaking in...? Curiously, it doesn't seem to take my fuzzes very well. I'm a bit puzzled. Any words of wisdom on that?

I have a Champion 600. Lots of people have modded them relentlessly. They never sounded good to me when modded.

I played mine hard for most of a winter, dimed fuzz face for a few hours a night. Then one day the whole sound changed. I broke out my ES 330 and plugged into input 2, set the volume to 6 out of 12, and it was so sweet.

So I agree, the speaker needs to break in.

I'll tell you what I told the other guy. Photos or it didn't happen. :p

:photos:

Proof of my 600. :thumb:

fjjX2Yo.jpg

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Right. They're not so much a "reissue" as they are modern interpretations. Still, you'd think that they'd take overdrives or fuzzes well. Hmmm...
Well, my Deluxe takes OD well thats for sure. Fuzz pedals tend to be more picky just as a matter of course - according to what I've heard here and elsewhere.

mdubya

Reaction score
Oops! LOL Here's the pic.

My 600 is a cheap MIC amp. It sounds a lot like my 1978 silver face, just a bit tighter. Better for some things, not as good for others. I cannot image they could do much wrong with those. :dude:

I'd love to have the vibrato and the reverb.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
The best mod you can do on the Campion 600 is to replace the speaker cloth. What comes on it is like upholstery fabric. It’s like having a pillow on the front of your amp. You can buy vintage correct grill cloth fabric at someplace like Angela. It will let the speaker breathe. The change in your amps sound will astound you.

Latest Threads