NAD EVH 5150 III & ENGL 412 Pro XXL

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
Hey all.I recently sold my Laney Ironheart 60 and got the EVH 5150 3 50w which i wanted for a year now...and finally its here.I tried it with my EVH 412 cab and for some reason i didnt quite liked it with the Greenbacks so i was lucky enough to sell the EVH cab at the exact price i bought it and got a brand new ENGL XXL cab.

The tone that comes from that rig is monstrous.The cab is more like a Mesa oversize but much tighter delivering a huge but tight low end.The amp itself is a more refined version of the previous Peavey versions,with a much improved clean channel,an almost marshally second channel and a tight brutal,slightly scooped third channel.Also suprising is how great it sounds on low volumes.

This is a great improvement on the 5150 line,although i must admit the original version is more raw on the third channel,but in every other aspect i say the 5150 III wins.

20140901_172727.jpg

20140901_172739.jpg

20140917_150206_2.jpg

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Congrats that's a sweet looking setup! The engl cab looks way nicer to me

dspelman

Reaction score
What's the difference in the speakers between the two. What kind were in each cabinet?
What are the dimensions of the Engl? Have you had the back off the Engl? Photos?
Have you checked the bottom end at full bore, or just in the bedroom at "loud bedroom" volume?

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
What's the difference in the speakers between the two. What kind were in each cabinet?
What are the dimensions of the Engl? Have you had the back off the Engl? Photos?
Have you checked the bottom end at full bore, or just in the bedroom at "loud bedroom" volume?

The EVH has the EVH Greenbacks and the ENGL has V30s.

ENGL's dimensions are 84 tall,74 wide,38 deep.Its a bit taller and deeper than standard cabs.

I havent opened the back but i removed a side handle to look inside and its top notch construction.18 to 20mm 13ply wood,massive center brace,corners reinforced,quality thick wires,acoustic foam in the back.This thing weights 65 kilos.For reference Orange cabs weights like 45.

I play loud and have cranked the volume on half (which is insane) with a lot of gain plus boosted with OD808 and it shaked the whole block.The ENGL is louder since the V30 are rated at 100db and the Greenbacks at 96db.

Lolly

Reaction score
Killer! Congrats and have fun with it! :thumb:

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
If I had that cabinet, I'd just have to get an ENGL Powerball II head to go with it. :hmm: Those are my thoughts on the matter.

cvonkanel

Reaction score
Noce! I have wanted the new 5150iii for a while...just havent pulled the trigger yet. It was between this and a boogie rectifier, but leanong more towards the evh. Maybe there will be some good end of the year sales on them.

El Pablo

Reaction score
You still in the honeymoon? Any issues to report?

Thanks.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
No issues whatsoever,in fact it sounds better.At first i had some high frequencies that just couldnt dial out but now that the speakers are breaking in and i eq the amp a bit better,it sounds great.

The presence knob really makes the difference,bringing the tremple down and the presence up gives the amp more low mids which i kinda always go for.

The second channel boosted might be my favorite...

Latest Threads