NAD Deluxe Reverb Tone Master

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Over the past 45 years or so I've had a ton of amps, still have a few, and all have been tube amps. Because that's what I grew up with, my dad repaired them, I do and build a few.

I sold my 67 Deluxe Reverb last year when I was selling off some amps to fund some guitar buys, but missed it and tried a Marshall SV20C, and a Dr.Z Z-Plus, just to try something different, but at heart I'm a Fender amp guy, and those didn't last long.

So the short answer was to get another DR, and looked at the new 64 Hand wired ones. ( Didn't want a vintage one this time, even tho I have enough spare BF parts to almost build one).

Doing YouTube reviews, I hit on a Tone Master review just to see what the deal was, and was impressed to the point that I started to really check it out. And just got more impressed.

Hello Sweetwater, It arrived a week ago. I waited a week to do a NAD, because I've not had the best of luck with new untried amps lately.

I really can't believe how true to a tube DR this amp is. The cleans up to having some nice dirt is 98% of a tube DR to my ears. A very usable tone can be had anywhere from bedroom level up to a dance hall gig. The very loud overdriven sounds aren't quite a warm as a tube DR, they're fine, but it's way louder than I play anyway.

I know, :photos: We're almost there.

It loves pedals! It weighs 22 lbs, and has the lightweight Neo magnet speaker, witch actually sounds good, and expect it to get only more rounded as it breaks in, which seems to be starting.

It has a variable output power selector in back, which in the digital world I guess is like a MV, and it works great. This is the most well behaved DR I've ever played through! 22 Watts down to .02 Watts. Same DR tone at levels that can be useful.

I've tried to find things I don't like about it, but I just haven't. In fact, I like it so much, I'm considering the Twin Reverb TM to go along WITH the DR.

I know it's not as sustainable as a hand wired tube counterpart, but I'm ok with that. If it dies and can't be fixed, I'll use the cab for a DR build! And buy another!

It's a keeper!

image0.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Sparky84

Reaction score
Been researching what to buy for occasional gigging and home use when i get back to the US this summer, and this one looks to be the clear favorite. I’m not good enough to take advantage of the small difference between this and real tube tone (assuming I could even distinguish it), and the light weight and features of this one looks idiot-proof, which is exactly what I need! Thanks for the review.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as simple, it doesn't matter which guitar I plug into it, I usually only need to move the treble knob one number up or down, to be dialed in.

The dials pretty much stay at V-5, Tr-5/6, B-5, R-1.8, Trem as needed on occasions. Which also sounds very close to a tube driven trem.

The reverb is just like a BFDR. Sounds great but has a small dial area between enough and too much. Just like the originals! :rofl:

Honestly, at volume in the sweet spot, I'd find it hard to tell the difference between this and a tube DR. And in the mix, I seriously doubt it.

This one you can lift with one finger, and it's big brother the Twin Reverb, is only 33 lbs! That's 5 lbs less than my Dr.Z 15 watter. :shock:

jb_abides

Reaction score
Fender did well on these, glad you enjoy it! :cheers:

I would be looking at it, too, if I were new to this market segment.

As is stands, it won't displace my Roland Blues Cube, and doesn't replace my DRRI.

mdubya

Reaction score
That is interesting that it came to you with "character" built in.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I thought really really hard about posting a " Should I return my New Amp" thread, but don't think I could sit through another one of those threads again for a while! :rofl:

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've found that the knothole only affects my tone when I play!

Even if I'm playing one of my others amps, my tone still sucks and I'm sure it's because of that knothole!

Come to think of it, my tone sucked on the BFDR that had a knothole!

I think I've just realized that Fender's poor quality control cost me a productive career as a sexy chick magnet lead guitar rock star! :mad2:

Rhust

Reaction score
this is awesome! I think this is exactly what Fender should do. I haven't liked their fender modelling amps like the mustang line, but if they can make a digital modeller that is 90% of a classic amp, that is the way to go. it looks awesome!

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still loving it!

I played last night on the .02 Watt setting while my wife was sleeping, it sounded awesome, and was no louder than the TV,

I'm kinda digging this thing!

mdubya

Reaction score
I think the ability to get pretty damn good tone at very reasonable volumes changes everything. *JMHO!

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
That was the deal maker right there!

It can get a little thin sounding if you have too much treble dialed in, but it's easily EQ'd out.

But it's rock solid and sounds the same every time!

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I sold my "almost BlackFaced" SF DR many years ago, but it was an amp I used relentlessly for smaller room gigs for absolutely years. It could get pretty thin, and pretty harsh sounding with too much treble dialled in. The reverb turned up too high was just ridiculous. A "surf monster". I loved that amp, sold it for more than 5 times what I paid for it after all those years of playing out and getting paid, but I'm guessing would cost me even more to find another.

One thing I do remember about it was that for pub and club gigs it had really quite decent clean headroom, and with pedals could really move some air for what was specified as an 18 watt amp.

Mike, I am guessing you might not know just yet, but does the Tone Master replicate this aspect? I still have my original Princeton, which can also get pretty raucous, but you do have to put a microphone in front of it to play with an acoustic drum kit if you want any truly clean tones. The DR was just enough more not to need it.

Did I mention I loved that amp? Selling it got me a long way towards my first R9 Historic, but it's one that I remember incredibly fondly.

Liam

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I sold my "almost BlackFaced" SF DR many years ago, but it was an amp I used relentlessly for smaller room gigs for absolutely years. It could get pretty thin, and pretty harsh sounding with too much treble dialled in. The reverb turned up too high was just ridiculous. A "surf monster". I loved that amp, sold it for more than 5 times what I paid for it after all those years of playing out and getting paid, but I'm guessing would cost me even more to find another.

One thing I do remember about it was that for pub and club gigs it had really quite decent clean headroom, and with pedals could really move some air for what was specified as an 18 watt amp.

Mike, I am guessing you might not know just yet, but does the Tone Master replicate this aspect? I still have my original Princeton, which can also get pretty raucous, but you do have to put a microphone in front of it to play with an acoustic drum kit if you want any truly clean tones. The DR was just enough more not to need it.

Did I mention I loved that amp? Selling it got me a long way towards my first R9 Historic, but it's one that I remember incredibly fondly.

Liam
Liam,

Funny you should ask!

I had a 67 BFDR for 27 years, and I loved it, but it was so bright it hurt. I changed everything in that amp but the two trannies. And it was loud! When I took it to band practice the first time, after the first song the lead player says, that SOB is loud! And we were a VERY loud band!

Anyway, I just finished playing the DRTM, and my 65 Princeton Reverb ri. That PR is such a perfect home amp it's ridiculous.

The tone master is really very very close to the BFDR. It WILL get loud! and the head room is pretty much the same as a DR. When it's cranked to overdrive, it does fall a little short of the tubes really cooking in a DR, but I'll never play that loud to notice.

The reverb is just like the DR, and I normally keep it just a hair past 2, same as my BF. It will get super surfy!

Plus what I like, is I can select the output power to 22,12,5,1,.5, or .2 Watts. The full 22 gives the best and loudest headroom of course. At home I use 12 Watts during the day, and 5 watts at night. Perfect.

It has a nice chime to it, and loves my R6, Strat, Tele, 330, so it's easy to get along with.

It's a DR. Oh, it loves pedals! I use a Carbon Copy always on pretty much, and it rounds things out nice. Loves the TS 909, OCD, and Archer Ikon just lights it up!

I bought this because I missed my BFDR! And I like it better. ( Did I just say that)?

Dogbreath

Reaction score
As you know, I have the Tone Master Twin Reverb. Since getting it a couple of weeks ago it’s the only amp I use. I just can’t get enough of it. At first I didn’t like the results when using an overdrive pedal. Now that I’m more comfortable with the amp, overdrives are insanely good! I’ve been using an OCD and a Wampler Tumnus. Wow!

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an original OCD, but just ordered the V2 version.

Mostly did it to help out Mike Fuller, since he was black balled by guitar center for speaking up against the riots.

Latest Threads