NAD Class 5!

David Corrales

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Finally got my Class 5 and it's really really nice! I love the looks, smell, fit and finish and sounds of course. It's super lightweight for its size (not so small a box when compared to say the Mini Rectifier).

I've read all kind of opinions on the Class 5 and now that I finally got to try it... I really like it :D. It has that "whack" when hitting chords and it's also very loud so I use the headphones mode to play or to record directly.

The only thing that I think was necessary was a minor tube swap. It comes stock with a JJ in V1 and a Shuguang in V2. I put a Tungsol in V1 and moved the JJ to V2 and it got rid of the fuzzy quality from the distortion plus it tightened things up. Cheap upgrade with a very noticeable improvement in sound.

Here's a little sound snippet I created to demonstrate it (the rhythm is without any pedals, the melody has a Joyo Vintage Overdrive engaged):
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/davidcorrales/class-5-demo[/SC]

The new Class 5 on top of the JCM 2000:

All 4 mini heads hanging out together :thumb:

Tungsol in V1, Marshall JJ in V2 and Marshall JJ EL84.

Syn

Reaction score
HNAD. Looks like you can cover a lot of bases with your collection!

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Congrats! I dig mine. I feel the head version is the way to go on these! C5Hs are the bomb!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
HNAD :thumb: Which do you like better so far, the Class 5 or the Blackstar HT-5?

David Corrales

Reaction score
HNAD :thumb: Which do you like better so far, the Class 5 or the Blackstar HT-5?
Hmmm it depends...

I think the Marshall is more organic sounding and less compressed. The EQ controls aren't very drastic although it's a very nice crunch ride. I'm very happy with the "whack" you get when attacking chords, I hear this characteristic on lots of Plexi videos. It also has plenty of gain when maxed (I wasn't expecting as much) and the looks are amazing! I'm in love with its super classy and sexy looks :applause:

The Blackstar to me is more "hifi"/"digital" if you will, with less "hair" around notes. It's great for fast palm-muted runs and has a more overall modern voicing to it. Feature-wise, it of course has more stuff: 2 footswitchable channels, effects loop and emulated recording.

Without any pedals the Blackstar would be better suited for Prog/Metal and the Marshall for Rock/Bluesy stuff. Both benefit from a cheap single preamp tube change, which is nice. Both are great recording tools as well (I'll post some samples soon).

beaner

Banned
Reaction score
HNAD man! I was looking at the combo version of the 5 and the blues junior since they are close in price. Everytime i went to play a 5 at guitar center they wouldnt power up for some reason plus i heard you really gotta crank them to get a nice OD tone and thats no possible for me in my home so i ended up buying the blues junior. Anyone ever compared the 2? I know you cant beat a les paul thro a marshall but i can deff get some sweet ass overdriven tones from my blues junior that rival some of the best sounding marshals i have heard. Any thoughts?

hogdaddy

Reaction score
I just might have to try that tube sawp on my Class 5 head.
I like your sound and playing.

Latest Threads