NAD - Blackheart Handsome Devil

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I was looking for a low watt home amp, and I remember my old Blackheart Handsome Devil, how warm and creamy the clean tone was on it. I was looking around on Reverb for the combo and I really couldn't find anything reasonable. This bad little boy came up on Craigslist yesterday for only $250, and it is in like new condition. A bass player had it to play guitar every now and then, but it was just sitting dormant and unused for 10 years in this guys house. I figured I would have to get it for when we downsize back to a condo or apartment in 5 or 6 years. She was a little weak out of the gate, so I picked up a pair of EL84's from GC on the way home. All they had was Groove Tubes which are basically JJ's rebranded I think. Anyway, it is good enough for now and after putting them in, this girl came back to life after years of being dormant. A lot louder and quite a bit more of that full warm creamy tone that you get from these boutique amps. This is completely stock, so the speaker will need to be replaced with something that doesn't get mushy when you turn it up. I am trying it through my PPC212V with Neo Creambacks, but that's not doing it for me, so I am on the hunt for a new speaker. I know I put a Governor Speaker in my old Handsome Devil Combo I had years ago, before I modded it with a more Marshall tone and the beautiful cleans went away after that. It sounded better for gain back then, but the beautiful cleans were gone so I ended up selling it before I left Michigan and came to California.

handsomedevil.jpg

handsomedevil_ppc212v.jpg

Last edited:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BAD ASS :p

I have thought about getting one meself.

CONGRATS

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Kind of funny, I was looking up speaker swaps for the Handsome Devil and I found my old thread. haha

NSD - Blackheart Handsome Devil | My Les Paul Forum

I have a Warehouse Speaker/Reaper HP in a little 1x12 cabinet in the garage, I will pull that out and see how it sounds. I will end up having a nice little 2x12 setup just like I had 9 years ago. We have now come full circle it seems. haha

Last edited:

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of funny, I was looking up speaker swaps for the Handsome Devil and I found my old thread. haha

NSD - Blackheart Handsome Devil | My Les Paul Forum

I have a Warehouse Speaker/Reaper HD in a little 1x12 cabinet in the garage, I will pull that out and see how it sounds. I will end up having a nice little 2x12 setup just like I had 9 years ago. We have now come full circle it seems. haha
Nuttin' wrong with going full-circle.

Les Pauls remain the constant in life

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ok, here is the Epiphone Valve Jr extension cab I got from Craigslist like 3 years ago for $75. I took out the Eminence Lady Luck speaker and replaced it with a Warehouse Reaper HP. I will give this a try to see how it sounds, but this speaker is more for Hard Rock and Metal, very middy and a tight bottom end, so I am not sure how it's going to sound alone. I know if I get something Warm and Smooth for the Combo to run along with it, this will bring everything together a lot better. Well, I am going to give it shot tonight, my wife is sleeping right now, working a 7pm-7am shift tonight. After she goes to work it is game time. haha

The Epiphone Valve Jr and Blackheart Cabinets are almost identical for about 80-90% I think.

epivalvejrcab.jpg

HandsomeDevilStack.jpg

mycorner.jpg

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The Handsome Devil sounds better through the WGS Reaper HP than it did through the Neo Creambacks in my Orange PPC212V. It is still just a little bit harsh and stiff, probably because this speaker is barely used and not even close to broken in. I will have to search for a nice speaker to pair with the Reaper HP, please feel free to give me some suggestions, it would be great to hear what you have to say. I am looking to keep a nice Warm Creamy tone on the clean and use my Line 6 HX Effects for Gain/EQ/Effects and such.

Last edited:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Handsome Devil sounds better through the WGS Reaper HP than it did through the Neo Creambacks in my Orange PPC212V. It is still just a little bit harsh and stiff, probably because this speaker is barely used and not even close to broken in. I will have to search for a nice speaker to pair with the Reaper HP, please feel free to give me some suggestions, it would be great to hear what you have to say. I am looking to keep a nice Warm Creamy tone on the clean and use my Line 6 HX Effects for Gain/EQ/Effects and such.
Vaughn always recoomends the ET65 with the Reaper or Reaper 65 for a smooth, yet still controlled, tight tone. The ET65 balances and smooths out some of the Reaper's extremes.

Or an Invader if you wanted to widen the mid and extend the bottom.

And yeah, I found the Reaper HP needed a concerted break-in.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
We shall see, I am not impressed with the ET65 from those clips, I will have to hit up Youtube.

I picked up the Pod Go earlier today, to give it a try. I was not impressed, I mean they fall short by the way they force pedals on you that you may or will not use. You get 9 spots, just like the HX Effects. But... out of the 9 spots, 2 are assigned to Exp Pedals, 1 for the Amp and 1 for the Speaker Cabinet as well as 1 for the EQ. That is 5 spots of the 9 spots available, so you have 4 left for pedals of your choice. Lets see... Comp, Noise Gate, Reverb, now that just leaves 1 spot left. They should allow you to X out the Exp pedals if you're not going to use them to give you 2 more spots. I think they are falling short of a great product. That's ok, I have the HX Effects and can assign all 9 spots however I want to. I was looking forward to some Amp/Cab models on the Pod Go, but it was not meant to be, so I took it back.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We shall see, I am not impressed with the ET65 from those clips, I will have to hit up Youtube.

I picked up the Pod Go earlier today, to give it a try. I was not impressed, I mean they fall short by the way they force pedals on you that you may or will not use. You get 9 spots, just like the HX Effects. But... out of the 9 spots, 2 are assigned to Exp Pedals, 1 for the Amp and 1 for the Speaker Cabinet as well as 1 for the EQ. That is 5 spots of the 9 spots available, so you have 4 left for pedals of your choice. Lets see... Comp, Noise Gate, Reverb, now that just leaves 1 spot left. They should allow you to X out the Exp pedals if you're not going to use them to give you 2 more spots. I think they are falling short of a great product. That's ok, I have the HX Effects and can assign all 9 spots however I want to. I was looking forward to some Amp/Cab models on the Pod Go, but it was not meant to be, so I took it back.
Oh I don't like the ET by itself, ONLY in a 2x or 4x with something else.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
After listening to a lot of Youtube vids, I am taking the plunge on a WGS Invader 50 for the Combo to run along side of the Reaper HP in the cabinet. I will definitely try to get some before and after sound clips.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yes, I still have the TH30. Debating on what to do with it right now if this Handsome Devil works out well for me. I love the TH30, but as others have mentioned for home use, I can barely turn it up even owning a house. I love the TH30 and Dark Terror gain structure, just a killer overall gain for sure. This has a little bit smaller foot print, sounds really smooth and warm with some more versatility for my clean tone. I can get some nice gain with the pedal choices I have on the HX Effects. I set a little bit of gain for the Handsome Devil which deepens the tone nicely for a killer blues tone and I can back off the guitar volume to clean it up nicely. Then I just kick in a pedal for a nice upshot on gain. Hopefully the added speaker will fill this out nice for me.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My iPhone 8 did better video/sound clips, my new iPhone 11 is doing some clipping and I can't seem to get a good clip from it to really show how this sounds with the Stock Blackheart Speaker and Reaper HP. I will still post the two clips, you may be able to hear the difference. The Reaper HP is definitely higher volume with 99.42 Decibels, I am not sure of the Blackheart speaker but it is not as loud.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow, it sounds amazing, such a great overall tone from this little 2x12 beast of a setup. I put the volume up to 5 and that is really the max, once you go past 5 it really doesn't get louder, it just gets a bit more deep and full pushing the power tubes more. I have the gain at 3 to 3 1/2 and the volume at 2 1/2 to 3 which gives me that nice blues break up with the guitar volume on 10. I then back down the guitar volume to get a nice full clean tone without much breakup at all and plenty of headroom. I then of course have what ever I want from the Line 6 HX Effects, where I can add up to 9 effects to give me what I am looking for. I put in a noise gate to keep it quiet and man... talk about top notch gain, modulation, delay, EQ, etc... anything you want or need is available.

Looks like I don't need the TH30 anymore. Sure it is sweet for sure, but just to much for my needs and there is no sense on putting it in the garage or closet for just in-case. If the Blackheart breaks down with an issue, I have the Katana to use if the Blackheart needs to go to the shop. Keeping it simple/small for the most part and Loving It.

Last edited:

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, it sounds amazing, such a great overall tone from this little 2x12 beast of a setup. I put the volume up to 5 and that is really the max, once you go past 5 it really doesn't get louder, it just gets a bit more deep and full pushing the power tubes more. I have the gain at 3 to 3 1/2 and the volume at 2 1/2 to 3 which gives me that nice blues break up with the guitar volume on 10. I then back down the guitar volume to get a nice full clean tone without much breakup at all with plenty of headroom. I then of course have what ever I want from the Line 6 HX Effects, where I can add up to 9 effects to give me what I am looking for. I put in a noise gate to keep it quiet and man... talk about top notch gain, modulation, delay, EQ, etc... anything you want or need is available.

Looks like I don't need the TH30 anymore. Sure it is sweet for sure, but just to much for my needs and there is no sense on putting it in the garage or closet for just in-case. If the Blackheart breaks down with an issue, I have the Katana to use if the Blackheart needs to go to the shop. Keeping it simple/small for the most part and Loving It.
BAD ASS :p :p

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have been messing around with gain pedals on my Line 6 HX Effects, trying to decide which sounds best through this amp setup, and I have settled on one that is pretty versatile giving me some great gain and tone. I can also dial back the volume and it cleans up nicely, with just a small bit of grit to it when you dig in. Plenty of volume and a great full tone for home with a lot still in reserve if I want to use it for gigging. It is amazing how much overall volume and headroom you have when you throw a couple of 99db speakers though a 15w tube amp. I am still playing around with my tone and when I get what I want, I will give you some clips to hear what it sounds like.

The TH30 is now gone, I sold it to someone who plays gigs and is also working to produce younger bands. I am glad it went to someone who will use it a ton more than I did. I will miss it, but I am also excited and having fun with my new setup for sure.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I finally had some time to play for a bit today on this amp setup. After a bit of noodling with the Line 6 HX Effects using my amps base tone that I have setup, I finally got pretty close to that nice Van Halen 1 brown sound that we love from the late 70's early 80's. I then proceeded to turn the amp up to 4, which was pretty damn loud for sure, and the tone was just perfect. The speakers were tight and sounded great, not mushy at all, very sweet where you could hear every note very clearly. My ears are still ringing a little. haha :jam:

Latest Threads