NAD: A toy, but a very cool toy

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Last week I got a tip that my wife went into my local instrument shop where they know me and my gear well, and asked for a suggestion for "something cool that I would never buy for myself." On Christmas morning, here is what I unwrapped:

20181220_070539.jpg

Boss Katana Air. They were certainly right about it being something I never would have bought for myself; I've never even heard of it. I opened it up and set it up with amusement. It's tiny and weighs nothing. It looks like a lunchbox head, but it's actually a combo with a pair of 3-inch speakers in the front.

Part of the concept (gimick?) is that it's completely wireless. In lieu of an instrument cable, it connects to the guitar via a wireless, rechargeable transmitter:

20181226_204905.jpg

The transmitter can be charged in a dock atop the amp. What's neat is that when you leave it plugged into the guitar and put the instrument on a stand or hangar, the amp goes to sleep and wakes up via a motion sensor once you pick the guitar back up.

The amp has five voicings, apparently consistent with the larger Katanas:

20181226_205612.jpg

It also has a bunch of Boss effects built in, with the ability to add, swap and store more via an app and six programmable banks (three each on a pair of "channels").

Once you download the app, you can also use your smartphone or tablet as a remote control for the amp.

Probably the coolest thing about this amp is that I can put on wireless headphones, pick up a guitar and walk around my house playing, totally unencumbered - even downstairs from where the amp is physically located. I find that kind of amazing. The amp is 30W when plugged in but can also run at 20W on battery power, so it's got strong take-along capabilities for practicing on the go.

Sound-wise, it's cool. Fun to mess around and experiment with. No, it does not sound like a tube amp and I'm sure many of you would turn your noses up at its tone. It's bright, and has that cold and somewhat sterile sound that some Boss effects are known for (the RV-3, for example). There is no way you could gig with it; it doesn't have nearly enough balls on its own and lacks a speaker out jack. But as a creative tool for practicing and writing, and just messing around with when the urge strikes at home, it's a lot of fun.

A toy, but a very cool toy.

Last edited:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Congrats!

Gig a Kat 50 and the only one that knows it's not tubes is me. There's a reason they've been the most popular amp the last couple years. :naughty:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Nice, very cool indeed. Have fun with that, I like the Boss Katana amps and have one myself. I am using the Line 6 Wireless kit with my amps.

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Kat mini and it's pretty cool.

The tone just blows me away considering its size.

Boss done did good on this line.

Latest Threads