NAD. 1986 JCM800 2203 and matching 1960A Cabinet

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Found this on Reverb. 1986 JCM800 and matching 1960A cabinet. Guy bought it new when he was 20 years old. Owned it 35 yrs but is downsizing houses.

he has never gigged it, and never left his house. Near mint. One greasy spot speaker mesh.

I got about 20 minutes of playing on it, and it sounded sweet. Then I blew the 4 amp fuse. Probably needs some power tubes and a bias and look over.

2EA0E69E-5C2D-4DA3-BE75-EA23DD57C74A.jpeg
A311373D-ACA0-445B-B535-8CAD90CC475A.jpeg

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
It’s interesting to compare cabs. That B52 cab is Burch ply and stock speakers are not great imo. Loaded with Scumback speakers it sounds really nice. The Marshall cab sounds less clear/articulate. But has a nice creamy dirty smoothness to it. I can see why people gush about 1960A cabs. Hard to say which I prefer. I’d say the Scumback for now, but the Marshall is no slouch. This was all A/B’ through the Marshall JVH205H head as the 800 was fuse napping by then.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I put a new 4 amp fuse in tonight and ran it about 30-45 minutes. Seemed to hold ok.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fuses dont blow for no reason. You should get that into the shop asap. You dont want to wipe out that transformer
Agree 100%!

If the amp's that mint, it's almost certainly got the original filter caps in it. They're dry. They need to be changed.

There'll be a little puff of smoke and that'll be the filters saying, "Goodbye, Randy, I'm leaving you forever! And I'm taking the power transformer with me!"

Deftone

Reaction score
So give us your thoughts on the tone.

I have an '85 2204, horizontal input. I didn't really think it would live up to the hype but IMHO it surpassed it.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
So give us your thoughts on the tone.

I have an '85 2204, horizontal input. I didn't really think it would live up to the hype but IMHO it surpassed it.
I haven't played it a ton. Wanted to kind of feel it out after that fuse blew and other's here have me thinking I should indeed check out the caps etc....

That said, I did get a good couple of hours on it, after I got my SD-1 the other day. Without the SD-1, the amp can get a little crunch. Maybe I'm not adjusting things right, but master has to stay low or else it blows the walls out. Pre amp I crank to about 3 oc'lock or #8(higher seems to just get more fizzy). Presence at #1, Bass at #4, Mids at just past 12'oclock or 5(say 5.1), Treble at 4, If I have things way off lmk, but that's kinda what sounded good to me. Anyway, that will get a me a very very mild crunch. Plugging a SD-1 straight out of the box and all dials 12'oclock/default, was like instant AFD GnR tone, IMO. Well, as close as I've come. 80's hard rock/heavy metal. Futzing with the SD-1 more and Metallica tones are there.

Compared to my Marshall JVM205H. Playing through a 1960A clone cab loaded with Scumback 4x BM75-16-65w speakers. The JVM is easier in a lot of ways to get good tones out of, and be versatile. I love that amp. The JCM800 though does seem to be a bit more "alive" or have a palpable sense about the tone. Could be speaker differences too? I think they are both great setups and I'll have to A/B them more as I get that JCM800 more dialed in. Is really just so new to me, still have to figure it out. Plus get it serviced. I'm fairly handy, so I may have to see how to safely discharge the caps etc.... to work on this without killing myself. I live in the sticks and no competent amp techs within hundreds of miles I'd trust. Could be I have to just appreciate the art of having this amp to look at, until I can figure something out lol. Sneak in a quick play here and there maybe ???

Deftone

Reaction score
I've heard the JVM is an awesome amp. They rave about it over on the Marshall forum. If I find a deal on a head I would probably buy it. That said for me personally, I really like the simplicity of the 2203/4. No tone is bad out of that thing.

I bought four 80's/90's Marshall heads over the last year or two and I took all of them in for service. Most just needed new tubes, some needed new caps. All of them got a thorough inspection, testing & cleaning. Just maintenance. Older Marshall's are somewhat inconsistent, IMHO. Hazards of mass production. If you can't get it serviced easily you might try buying a new set of tubes. My tech recommended a complete new set for every amp I brought to him even if only one tube tested bad.

IIIRC mine is set with the Bass, Mid and Treble at 60%, 40%, 60%, respectively. The presence is at 75-80%, preamp about 40% and MV low 10-20%. I use the vol. on my distortion pedal to keep the output vol reasonable. Set at maybe 30%.

I get the appreciation for the art thing too. They never fail to make me smile when I walk by them.

Deftone

Reaction score
oh yea, speakers....huge difference. I happen to like the G12T-75's but most prefer V30's or greenbacks. I have three 4x12's and they all have V30's so I just picked up two G12T-75's that I might mix in with the V30's in one cab.

Latest Threads