N80'sAD - Marshall 5210 with one issue (edit 2 problems) + mod

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Ive been hearing that these 80s Marshall SS amp are a great bang for their buck for a long time. That said people have been asking crazy prices and even more if it has onboard reverb. Well one came up on reverb and the guy took an aggressive offer and here she is

So I have had an afternoon with her and they really are great value IF you can get them for cheap. It does a pretty clean and 80's crunch and distortion. That said it has none of the lovely sag and compression I get from my jtm45 when you dig in. I'll post some mic'd tone clips later but she is definitely a keeper* for my purposes which was to leave her at the family vacation home so I dont have to bring my Tweed Deluxe every weekend.

Me being me I have already modded the amp and took the hardwired speaker and turning it into a jack and cable so I can run the amp to cabinets. The amp is 4 ohms out but the internet tells me a mismatch to 8 ohms should be ok. I have already tried it with two other speakers and it sounds better through them then the stock celestion g12m-70 though you may loose some detail on the cleans with a warmer speaker.

Gut shots and more photos

Speaker mod....just used existing hole

So the only issues is that there is definitely a bit of fizz on the decay. I've read a bit about certain caps going bad and I am guessing a general refreshing could be warranted but any help is appreciated. I am not going to raise a fuss with the seller as he took a bath on shipping.

schematic

* I may try to parlay this amp and some GC gift certs + cash into something like a silverface twin, AC30, etc

Last edited:

AlvisX

Reaction score
JCM 800 solid states are fun amps . I got and use a good selection of em ,especially the lead 12 combo

But anyhow ,the 5210....I recall having a similar issue. One of those 4700uf caps had worked it self loose .I found it via chopstick

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
* I may try to parlay this amp and some GC gift certs + cash into something like a silverface twin, AC30, etc
This is what I probably would do.....However,that clean channel is just beautiful,brother!!! Maybe if the gain channel is a bust,just use the clean for a pedal platform?
Anyhow,HN(80s)AD! I’m hoping y’all get things sorted out......man,that clean channel! Ya know!?!:dude:

mdubya

Reaction score
That stiff solid state feel is part of what makes them so fun at low volume.

DeOxit in the pots and input jacks make my Lead 20 sound better every time.

Tom Morello recently posted photos from a recording session with Prophets of Rage with a Lead 20 standing by.

mdubya

Reaction score
Also, if there is a line out, try running it into the front of your JTM45 for interesting results.

mdubya

Reaction score
There is a DI out...is that what you mean? Havent tried the headphones yet.

I would try either or both. :D

My Lead 20 has "Line Out" only. Whatever that means. Running it into my low gain, saggy, mushy 1976 2204 turned it into a nwobhm machine! That wasn't my go to tone, but was lots of fun and sounded awesome when I was in the mood.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
I would try either or both. :D

My Lead 20 has "Line Out" only. Whatever that means. Running it into my low gain, saggy, mushy 1976 2204 turned it into a nwobhm machine! That wasn't my go to tone, but was lots of fun and sounded awesome when I was in the mood.
Manual says DI out is to go to a mixer so are you sure there wont be any issue running it into the front of my jtm45? I am guessing the headphone would work with probably some weird results.

Maybe a cool way to get a cheap jcm800 30w as I can run the jtm clean and have the drive of 5210 give me the tones while pushing the power tubes.

mdubya

Reaction score
Manual says DI out is to go to a mixer so are you sure there wont be any issue running it into the front of my jtm45? I am guessing the headphone would work with probably some weird results.

Maybe a cool way to get a cheap jcm800 30w as I can run the jtm clean and have the drive of 5210 give me the tones while pushing the power tubes.
I don't think it will cause any problems. I have always been pretty cavalier in my attitude towards my gear, though. Daisy chaining amps is an old practice. I would plug different amps into each other curious about the results. The Lead 20 into the 2204 produced particularly good results.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Ok so oscillation was something to do with my switcher so that is solved.

Static/fizz decay actually sounds more like electric sound when the volume is turned up. Seems to be more noticeable when playing bass notes. Depressing the board in a certain area has some impact so I removed the knobs and lifted it but the joints look good. Clean the jacks while I was at it. May try detoxin the pots too.

Have some fresh filter caps (the 4700uf and the 1000uf assuming all filtering) en route for tomorrow and then will check a few other caps known to fail and IC1 which I could upgrade while I am in there :naughty:

Things I have read on other threads:

VR7 is middle pot. You can also change c23 to .022 to get some low mid.

Trouble caps
C12, a 2.2 microfarad 35 volt tantalum capacitor.

C13 seems to have solved it. C13 got my attention because it was very microphonic.

AlvisX

Reaction score
Yep,those are all the usual suspects
I had a bad C12
I also re-flowed all the pot connections while I had the board out .

Im using these amps a lot these days ,in conjunction with a small tube amp like a Pro Junior ,Champ II or Super Champ

Gooner

Reaction score
it may be worth e-mailing Marshall, if you need some info regarding the ohm mismatch. They are pretty good at responding. I asked if the two Mosfet heads had the same circuit (3210 and the 3310,) and if it was ok to use a 12ohm cab on 3310.(3210 output states 4-16 ohms, 3310 states 4 or 8 ohm) I got a response within three days, stating that the circuits were different but as they were solid state they were both fine with the 12 ohm cab.
contactus@marshall.com

Last edited:

NYC LP player

Reaction score
recap and wiggling stuff seemed to work

while I was in there I put chip sockets in the two IC1s and swapped the TL072 vs the top notch OPA2134

here is a demo of both channels before and after using mic audio

FULL VOLUME TEST THIS WEEKEND!!!!

Last edited:

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Had some more time today and without going back through the footage did the chip swap again. Originals are much better if you are going after the original sound. I am sure some of it could be EQ to be closer but I am going to leave it be. This thing is awesome with an LP/humbuckers. I tried it with a strat and you really need to boost the channels to get some thickness for single coils.

I know people tried to talk me out of it but I think this thing could use a speaker with a bit more character. I'll try to record some clips but it just needs a bit more warmth/lows while not losing too much of the detailed highs. My brief test with a Scumback h55 seemed to be right on but we shall see.

AlvisX

Reaction score
I put Weber 12 65's in my 5210 and 5010
Big improvement I say