n00b question about my new R8

Ruthie58

Reaction score
Just joined the forum so this info is probably everywhere. I work at a music shop, #2 privately owned in USA for volume Gibson sales. We get alot of cool stuff lets just say. I'm a little jaded by Les Paul's and honestly always liked my strat over the pricey Gibsons that didn't really blow my mind. Then about two weeks ago we get this R8 VOS and I had to try it. Immediately I wrote 4 new awesome riffs and I needed it. Let's just say as a former Fender snob:

I GET IT ALRIGHT ITS THE BEST GUITAR IVE EVER TOUCHED AND I HAD TO DROP DOUGH ON IT LOL

According to the owner this was the Last R8 Gibson sold to dealers. Now it's all true historic series from here on out.

My question: Many of my peers have noted the flame on the R8 I bought was nice for an R8 and initially ask if its an R9. My question is are flamed R8's from a certain run or are flamed R8's harder to come by than a plain or slightly flamed top? The justification for the R9 being 1000$ more is the flame top (and weight but the R8's thicker neck is automatically heavier) so why aren't flamed R8's more expensive?

Hope that made sense

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1449633128483.jpg
    FB_IMG_1449633128483.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 519

rclausen

Reaction score
9 is one more than 8, hence the price difference:hmm::laugh2:

Great looking guitar btw

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
R9s are the Holy Grail, R8s are the first loser. :laugh2:

J/K Nice R8 you have there!

Ruthie58

Reaction score
Thanks all...but Q: are flamed R8's the norm or 1/10 type thing or are they a limited run type thing. From what I've seen or heard R9's are the holy grail because of the tops...

Sct13

Reaction score
Its a little more "rare" using the term "rare" loosely....

the R8's were known to be "plain tops' for many years....its was just in the last few years they started making Flamed R8's or Figured R8's

The figure was reserved for the almighty R9, THE most desired guitar....due to weight, neck size and the stamp....oh and the p'nash that went with owning one.....so the implied marketing strategy is ..charge more...its an R9...

But...the more symmetrical and "matched" the figure was the better...

You need to look up "book matched" "flitched matched" and so on....this is where the figure is either from the same board, the same tree, or two completely different trees....

Book matched is a piece of quarter sawn is cut down the middle and opened like a book...and glued together like a book....the flames match up nice, but only so many in a given tree are available....so ...its hit and miss...the few that come out of that tree are used as the R9...the rest are matched by figure and color of the wood....ever see those ones that are slightly off in color, of the flames don't match at all?

Many other things go into it, like top carve loss, weight, density.....also the weight of the mahogany back. Typically the back of a R9 is a different cut of the log.

R8's of the plain top variety are flat sawn, Generally, and there is rift sawn as well...

there is a whole study of this subject in the book Beauty of the Burst...and other great books.

Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

Ruthie58

Reaction score

the R8's were known to be "plain tops' for many years....its was just in the last few years they started making Flamed R9's or Figured R8's

The figure was reserved for the almighty R9, THE most desired guitar....due to weight, neck size and the stamp....oh and the p'nash that went with owning one.....so the implied marketing strategy is ..charge more...its an R9...

You need to look up "book matched" "flitched matched" and so on....this is where the figure is either from the same board, the same tree, or two completely different trees....

Book matched is a piece of quarter sawn is cut down the middle and opened like a book...and glued together like a book....the flames match up nice, but only so many in a given tree are available....so ...its hit and miss...the few that come out of that tree are used as the R9...the rest are matched by figure and color of the wood....ever see those ones that are slightly off in color, of the flames don't match at all?

Many other things go into it, like top carve loss, weight, density.....also the weight of the mahogany back. Typically the back of a R9 is a different cut of the log.

R8's of the plain top variety are flat sawn, Generally, and there is rift sawn as well...

there is a whole study of this subject in the book Beauty of the Burst...and other great books.

That's an awesome answer, thank you! However it looks it plays like VROOOOOM!

Ruthie58

Reaction score

the R8's were known to be "plain tops' for many years....its was just in the last few years they started making Flamed R9's or Figured R8's

Can you post a pic of the R8 u have for sale? What makes it handpicked?

Sct13

Reaction score
Hand Picked is when a member fro the ordering store goes to Gibson and hand picks the blanks of maple for a run of guitars...

this is the one....Its an R8, but its in R9 land...its neck is thinner and rounder than a typical R8, (many are in the 14 models)

This one looks to be book matched...Its near fiddleback curl, flame is very symmetrical

Your's isn't....I'll trade you straight up....:thumb:

IMG_2664.jpg

Sct13

Reaction score
can you post a non altered image of that top?

dwk302

Reaction score
Gorgeous! Congrats! Flamey R8s were not "rare" in 2013-2014.

Sct13

Reaction score
No they weren't....:)

the "figured" ones started popping up about 2011....maybe sooner..?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
It's a little strange you work for the #2 US store for Gibson sales and are asking those questions (R8 vs R9? Flame top R8s? What does hand picked mean?) not to mention your guitar isn't even a VOS. It was built years before any VOS based on the inlays. The last R8 Gibson made? They've probably built 15,000+ since yours.

Great looking top.

Ruthie58

Reaction score
can you post a non altered image of that top?

Here u go l:
I just adjusted the warmth and sharpness because the light in my room is very cold blue (called a happy lamp? Used for filming)

Attachments

• IMG_20151208_180622286_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20151208_180622286_HDR~2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 123

Sct13

Reaction score
yep...good eye Tim...those do look like rounded inlays....

Stoj

Reaction score
Killer looking R8 - Nice Score :cheers:

Ruthie58

Reaction score
It's a little strange you work for the #2 US store for Gibson sales and are asking those questions (R8 vs R9? Flame top R8s? What does hand picked mean?) not to mention your guitar isn't even a VOS. It was built years before any VOS based on the inlays. The last R8 Gibson made? They've probably built 15,000+ since yours.

Great looking top.

1. I don't have time to pull my bosses ear about the guitar I just sniped off his customers before it even really hit the floor.
2. Fortunately for me, my guitar is a VOS and your assertion is erroneous.
3. I said last R8 left to purchase for dealers...they do not produce the R8 now they only produce the true historic 58. Mine was the last available to purchase thru Gibson direct.

Any questions about my legitimacy can be asked directly, as for your legitimacy I think you're a bad judge of what a VOS is.

Ruthie58

Reaction score

Great looking top.

My guitar is a 2014 Gibson...did you mean built years AFTER any VOS or is this the noob hazing ?

Latest Threads