N(u)GD white Explorer

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
So, a while ago i asked about the value of my JJMelodyMaker, and i guess i have found out in the real world - at least i traded the JJMM against the pictured Explorer. :)

It is not the nicest explorer to look at, it's got a few chips missing on the edges (explorers in a nutshell), the finish is worn badly, someone sanded the back of the neck, the pickups have been changed (obviously), the knobs too and the electronics don't work quite as they should - and furthermore the serial number is all but unreadable as it is more or less covered in paint... Supposed to be a 09 though... (And doesn't look like a refin either...)

But i am actually happy :laugh2:, 'cause it plays nicely (better than the '96 explorer i once had) and sounds just fine with the pickups that are in it now (the p94 actually sounds really nice in this guitar) the finish can be polished back to its original shiny state, and knobs and electronics are cheap and easy fixes as well.
The only thing i can't fix is the missing paint on the back of the neck, but then again - as said, it plays well, so even though i would never have removed the paint myself, i can easily live with that.

...the fun part is the back story, because i actually got the JJMM as part of a trade where i traded the aforementioned '96 explorer for a Mex strat + the JJMM, simply because i was a bit tired of the explorer.

...i guess all this trading explorers back and forth resulted in me having a free Stratocaster (which is a good guitar as well) sitting in the flat now :)

...and, oh yeah, Explorers just look cool! :cool:

Attachments

• explorer01.jpg
    explorer01.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 105

hextall27

Reaction score
Awesome guitar! Looks like an ebony board.

The finish is aging beautifully, don't dare try and polish it.

Got yourself a real player it seems. :)

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
Awesome guitar! Looks like an ebony board.

The finish is aging beautifully, don't dare try and polish it.

Got yourself a real player it seems. :)
Yup, ebony fretboard afai can tell (but with Gibson, who knows what sort of wood it might be ;) ) :)

And the finish needs to be polished, even though i am usually fairly relaxed about the looks of my guitars :(
You can't see it in the pic, but there are some rough patches on the front that look like the guy with the sandpaper started on the front too, but gave up quickly - it's not just worn from use but actually has stripes and swirls on it.

But yes, a player indeed, thx :)

gibbycustom

Reaction score
I just got a '76 reissue in natural, but what I wouldn't give for a white one like this. That thing looks great. Definitely my favorite color on an explorer. Enjoy!

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
I just got a '76 reissue in natural, but what I wouldn't give for a white one like this. That thing looks great. Definitely my favorite color on an explorer. Enjoy!
Thx :) congrats on your guitar too :cheers:

...and not only does this explorer look great (yes, i think so too) but after having set it up to my preferences and adjusted the pickups i have pretty much spent the last few days just playing this.

I am still a bit in doubt about the "Super Distortion" in the bridge - it is not a pickup that i am fond of, but in some positions it does work for certain things - while the p-94 is just a perfect match for this guitar.
Normally on Gibsons i use bridge pickups 95% of the time - but on this one i think i might actually use the neck nore than the bridge :shock:

One difference to the '96 is the ebony fretboard - i actually think it makes a slight difference in the tone - this one is slightly "springier" in its tone.

And also the colour actually makes the guitar look smaller.
It certainly looks smaller than the wine red i had, but i have measured it (because i actually doubted it was full size), and it has standard explorer dimensions...

All in all i am really happy about this guitar:hippie: - and this will get far more playing hours than the JJMM i traded :)

....and lastly i have to admit that i now understand what sanding that sticky gibson paint is all about, because the neck is really smooth compared to the '96 i had before, which had the annoying modern gibson nitro on it.
(Never had sticky necks on Norlins - not even with the laquer still on...)

After this experience i would probably consider sanding other gibson necks that have this sort of laquer on them - then again, i am not likely to get my hands on another newer Gibson in the foreseeable future...

But for those that have them, and think they are keepers, after this experience i'd actually recommend sanding the necks. I never thought i'd say this.:shock:

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
I love explorers nice one
Well, i didn't really love the first one i had, which was a good guitar and all original and well cared for - but this one, as battered as it is, just does it for me :)

...my first thought was to clean this up and then swap it for an LPstudio which is what i wanted in the first place, but that isn't going to happen now. This one ain't going nowhere. :jam:
I have owned enough guitars to know when one is just right for me - and learned the hard way that i should not let the ones that speak to me go.

That said, yes explorers are very cool guitars, and their only drawback is that you need a hanging stand for them ... :)

Latest Threads