N 'NYE' G - '58 Korina Flying V

garybaldy

Reaction score
Just bought this now off ebay so don't actually have it just yet.
Veneered multi block body, heavy maple neck causing neck dive, scarf jointed headstock, generic pickups and cheap harness etc,etc. (or so I've read) - I can't wait!! :fingersx:
Epi Flying V.jpg

BKS

Reaction score
If it plays....been reading it too, but if you can pick it up cheap... Enjoy it.

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
I have one, it needed some major repairs when I got it but it plays & sounds great now that I fixed it & it cost much less than a Gibson so win win (I do want a Gibson though). I had to fix the body at the ABR post as someone cheesed it pretty bad. I put BB1 & 3, proper 58 wiring & historic tuners from one of my reissues in it & it kicks.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I have one and it's damn nice.
The fretboard is probably blackwood, has a super tight grain, is VERY hard and, for my money, may as well be ebony.
Makes the guitar look/feel very rich.
I replaced the jack and switch and cleaned up the wiring.
I can't handle all that extra wire jammed in there.
Couldn't bring myself to drop big dough on pickups so I bought a Blizzard of '59 set.
When I installed them, I still had a Gibson V with a Duncan 59 and a Pearly, and I think the Blizzards compare very favorably.
Neck dive?
Well....if you put the strap over the front of the guitar, the neck doesn't dive, but it sort of pulls the guitar in a weird way...
It's a bit of a bummer.
It's only a LITTLE, though...I've had SGs and Firebirds that were much more divey.
I guess I have to try a grippier strap, but I really like the old school skinny ones with the pad that slides around.
Bottom line...It's a cool guitar and I look cool playing it, and that's all that matters, dammit!

garybaldy

Reaction score
I have one and it's damn nice.
The fretboard is probably blackwood, has a super tight grain, is VERY hard and, for my money, may as well be ebony.
Makes the guitar look/feel very rich.
I replaced the jack and switch and cleaned up the wiring.
I can't handle all that extra wire jammed in there.
Couldn't bring myself to drop big dough on pickups so I bought a Blizzard of '59 set.
When I installed them, I still had a Gibson V with a Duncan 59 and a Pearly, and I think the Blizzards compare very favorably.
Neck dive?
Well....if you put the strap over the front of the guitar, the neck doesn't dive, but it sort of pulls the guitar in a weird way...
It's a bit of a bummer.
It's only a LITTLE, though...I've had SGs and Firebirds that were much more divey.
I guess I have to try a grippier strap, but I really like the old school skinny ones with the pad that slides around.
Bottom line...It's a cool guitar and I look cool playing it, and that's all that matters, dammit!
Yeah, my main gigging guitar is a 24 fret SGJ 2013 and back up a Tokai Firebird so I'm used to the dive. I hope I can get it to be gig worthy.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I hope it is, thanks.
Very mixed opinions on the net. Undeniably great shape though.
I can only speak from the 2017 one I got pictured here, dug it out for these pictures just now. It’s good stock, great electronicals and the Alnico Classic pickups and Plus in the bridge sound sooooo sweet.

What year is yours?

Mine has synthetic bone nut, Korina (Limba) neck and body.

Post some pictures when you’ve finished revamping yours. They’re great guitars.
0707D0FB-7D9E-439E-939E-3669CC24FDF3.jpeg
F101C37B-1576-4190-BA10-FC80F346A68A.jpeg
D6C16A03-933E-4F53-8143-DAB4F8F58B26.jpeg
B230EB28-99A9-40EB-91C3-A46F2C3666B2.jpeg
4835812E-BCCE-44A1-8CBC-985E1CD2766A.jpeg
926CE944-A7E0-4FDE-9E7C-4232CFD05DA5.jpeg

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn’t happen to yours! I returned this one to Zzounds because it was broken during shipping. They replaced it easily though with the one pictured above.

I’ve had two Vs broken at the headstock in the mail, the pointy ends are easy to absorb shock inefficiently to cause breakage.

I’m flexing it open to show the break in the first photo.

FAFF210C-514C-499C-82EC-42D814C9A563.jpeg
F4C813F4-1487-4D9B-A696-4FD5F8F9924C.jpeg

garybaldy

Reaction score
I can only speak from the 2017 one I got pictured here, dug it out for these pictures just now. It’s good stock, great electronicals and the Alnico Classic pickups and Plus in the bridge sound sooooo sweet.

What year is yours?

Mine has synthetic bone nut, Korina (Limba) neck and body.

Post some pictures when you’ve finished revamping yours. They’re great guitars.
View attachment 350302 View attachment 350303 View attachment 350304 View attachment 350305 View attachment 350306 View attachment 350307
Mine is Korean from 2000. I've read it probably has a maple neck and a scarf joint for the headstock. So are the newer ones like yours (made in China?) all korina?

garybaldy

Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn’t happen to yours! I returned this one to Zzounds because it was broken during shipping. They replaced it easily though with the one pictured above.

I’ve had two Vs broken at the headstock in the mail, the pointy ends are easy to absorb shock inefficiently to cause breakage.

I’m flexing it open to show the break in the first photo.

View attachment 350309 View attachment 350311
That's worrying. Glad you got yours sorted. Mine is used but I have politely asked the seller to pack it well and he reassured me that he would and is a dab hand at it!!

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Yeah, my main gigging guitar is a 24 fret SGJ 2013 and back up a Tokai Firebird so I'm used to the dive. I hope I can get it to be gig worthy.
The stock pickups are pretty damn good, IMO.
Some may cry snake oil, but I melt the wax out of them with a hair dryer.
I think getting it out from between the bobbins and the cover makes them a little more microphonic and sensitive...wakes them up a bit.
Mine has been gigged probably a dozen times.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
Mine is Korean from 2000. I've read it probably has a maple neck and a scarf joint for the headstock. So are the newer ones like yours (made in China?) all korina?
Yes, the newer ones are all Korina (limba) with a veneer on the top and back. The neck is a scoff joint.

Mine is made in China yes ... the fret (level) job was correct by the way which is rare for Epiphone. Usually I have to level the frets and do a recrown/polishing.

This one I just did a buffing and was good to go.

Good luck with yours, they really are great guitars and they look super cool too.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
Two months ago I got this 1999 Epiphone Korina SG also from the Unsung factory (what a name name for a guitar factory!) so it's closely related to your Flying V.
When I got it I was really surprised by how well it resonates and the superb playability, I'm talking about the chassis as the pickups and hardware were really generic and low quality, so I replaced the tuners with Wilkinson locking ones, Gibson ABR bridge and TP6 tailpiece, DiMarzio pots, and I put an old '93/'94 Gibson "Tom Holmes" Classic 57+ that I had laying around in the bridge position and now, and I'm still amazed by this, I use this guitar just as much as my other Custom Shop ones for gigs and recordings.
I posted a thread here about my experience with this guitar few weeks ago...
Like I said this SG and your Flying V are very closely related so you should be able to enjoy the same results... Enjoy it and long may we all wail!
fullsizeoutput_1acc.jpeg

Latest Threads