Mystery Tokai.. WTF is this ??

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
This has me puzzled.

Could anyone tell me what this might be ?? Some of it looks MIJ Tokai, but there's a whole lot of ???? as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDB

Reaction score
It is MIJ cavity- routings. possibly the bridge posts been drilled out.
Top looks nice but hard to say if its veneer, pretty low res pics and could of been sanded through in spots?
Not worth the gamble imo, especially with those bridge post holes.

filtersweep

Reaction score
THIS is the entire issue I have with Tokai: their products are so poorly documented.

I own a Tokai that doesn't seem to even exist on the internet. I literally can find nothing about it on the internet-- nothing on ebay, nothing on Reverb. If you get away from the highly documented 'sought after' models, it can be a bit risky.

Half the issue is that their models that are questionable from a trademark perspective never had proper distribution channels.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust the "work" that's been done to this without seeing it hand or getting a bunch of super high quality pics. It has the look of something that's been sanded on with an overly heavy hand. I have a hunch the backplates will sit proud of the back of the guitar unless you re-route the recesses for them and it looks like the hole for the 3-way has gotten broken out (could be patched up and stay invisible under a poker chip, potentially, though). But I'd be prepared for stuff like the rim of the guitar having gotten sanded out of square, binding sanded thin in spots, potential sanding of the neck profile, etc.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I wasn't going to bid on it, but it is an interesting oddity.

I wonder what Thomas/Sweden would say about the horn ???

Back doesn't look like African either lol but who in their right mind would do this to a high end Tokai ??

I got nothing.

filtersweep Lets see your Mystery Tokai !

Mickey_C

Reaction score
What kind of idiot sands off the paint? He should have used a heat gun and putty knife. Then the remaining would just be some finish sanding.

Based on what he did alone I would steer well clear of that guitar.

And that's besides all the other red flags mentioned above.

Latest Threads