Mystery Tokai/Gibson/Who knows ??

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Here's an interesting case of who knows what ??

Seller says it's a Tokai LS-2400 ??. Guitar has an unmentioned neck crack/repair....but also has nibs, replaced pups, bridge and tailpiece. It looks as if the back is 3 pieces. Headstock has been Gibsonized according to seller. Many more oddities as well.

What could it be ??

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is that this guitar has been up for sale for a long long time, actually one of my first considerations when I went into the hole.... I think he did have a full pic of the Headstock inlay at one time but the TRC having 3 screws just makes no sense to me. The mismatched cavity covers are dumb. Pics of under the neck pup may at least help identify the builder of this.

zeneffect

Reaction score
I don't think this is a tokai at all. Even the cheapest ones would have the 3 hole truss rod cover properly aligned. This is a sh!t show guitar.

GBLEV

Reaction score
Probably a Chibson posing as a Tokai in a Gibson mask. The cut away looks off to me. "Caveat emptor" on this one.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seller has perfect feedback and based on the past listings he does sell guitars. Makes me curious as hell but it is nun of my business. Nun I tell ya.

moreles

Reaction score
Buy an ordinary used Epi and it's likely to be made better. When there is no headstock photo, when the back pics look like the guitar has been coated in plastic, and when a headstock crack shows, there's really no point going further unless you want a project for rebuilding. I think we all get weary and cynical in the face of guitars like this that show very evident faults but nevertheless are posing as legit instruments. As many have already posted, it looks to be a copy of a copy of a copy... and broken and modded on top of that. Fakes are one thing; piece-of-crap fakes are another, worse thing.

Latest Threads