Mystery MIJ Les Paul - need help

Cookiewookie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I came across this MIJ Les Paul on Reverb and was wondering if anyone on you knows anything about it. It says it's an "Alexander" built by PGM in Osaka. Looks kinda legit but there's absolutely no info on it anywhere. Of course it's a risk if it had to be resold but I would see myself keeping it if it's as good as it is made out to be.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Wow.

It really took that 300 baud modem a long time to connect and upload :rofl:

BDW60

Reaction score
I have no actual knowledge of this company at all. I would just be wary of the used car sales pitch in the copy. Maybe it’s everything he says. Maybe not. Hard to know.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
There are several obscure high end builds in Japan you see once in a while.
It's a beauty but I would save some cash and wait for a nice topped light weight Navigator as awareness is growing for those and resale value might be better compared to what you pay.

currypowder

Reaction score
Never heard of Alexander. Doesn't mean it isn't legit, but as others have said, I'd be wary without some provenance.

I've seen a couple of very high end Japanese brands come up for sale every once in awhile, g'7 is one that comes to mind. A new g'7 single cut sells new for around $8K. Here's an example:

If you're in the market for a high end MIJ single cut, check out Crews. For my money, they hit the mark consistently. It's the brand I've been obsessed with for the past year or so. I'm lucky to have 2 of their top end models, an LED-1959 and an LED-Supreme. Both are spec'd as you would expect, 1-pc Honduras mahogany body & neck, nicely flamed maple cap (the Supreme is a 1-pc top), Brazilian RW fretboard and K&T pickups (I'm not going to open you up to my obsession with K&Ts, but they are far and away my favorites). Neither was cheap, but still far less than a similarly spec'd R9. Both have nice thick necks, superb playability and give me everything I want from a single cut.

Here's a teaser shot of the LED-Supreme.

And the LED-1959

Kirk Dahnke

Reaction score
Yeah, for that kinda money I'd find a Gibson that's a really good playing one. It'll be fun to play and at least an investment. I have a hard time paying over $1K for a non-Gibson guitar. Just for resale value alone. I just bought a 1990's Burny LPC. It plays great and I got it for $635 shipped from Japan. It's a player's guitar and sounds amazing. But for $4400 I want something that's vintage and going to go up in value substantially. I think the bottom's going to fall out on the used market soon and it'll be a good time to invest in vintage stuff.

Latest Threads