Mystery Les Paul Copy - Japanese?

patrickteaneck

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
New to the forum and was looking for some help to identify a Les Paul copy I am buying tomorrow.
All I have been told is that it's Japanese. I know it's got vintage Grover star back tuners. The fret markers and headstock stars? are unique. Thanks!!!
Screenshot_20220703-172853.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220703-233913.png
    Screenshot_20220703-233913.png
    523.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20220703-233945.png
    Screenshot_20220703-233945.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 37

cmjohnson

Reaction score
That kind of guitar was really common in the 80s. They're usually very cheap with plywood bodies and if they have any brand name hardware on them, it was an upgrade done by the owner. I hope you're not looking to spend much on it.

There's a good chance that the pickups aren't even humbuckers. Just a single cheap coil under a humbucker sized cover.

I wouldn't value it over 250 dollars tops. Even that sounds high to me.

You'd find something similar with brands such as Memphis, Bentley, or Cameo.

Grenville

Reaction score
Does the neck plate say "steel reinforced neck" on it?

It was made in the Matsumoku factory if so, source of many badge-engineered brands, particularly in the 1970s and '80s.

Not particularly valuable or high-spec, but they can be fun instruments.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Could also have been one of those kit guitars that you finish yourself. Kind of has that look to it.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Certainly looks like an inexpensive 70s japanese job to me. As Grenville says, they can be fun but I wouldn't (personally) buy one unless (a) I collected the things or (b) it was REALLY cheap and I was looking to hang it on the wall/ceiling in a pub or something.

How much are you planning on spending on it?

patrickteaneck

Reaction score
Certainly looks like an inexpensive 70s japanese job to me. As Grenville says, they can be fun but I wouldn't (personally) buy one unless (a) I collected the things or (b) it was REALLY cheap and I was looking to hang it on the wall/ceiling in a pub or something.

How much are you planning on spending on it?

He wants $40 for it

jbash

Reaction score
Looks like the neck binding is coming off in the area of the cutout.

IDK- I'd rather spend my $40 on strings or coffee or something.

smk506

Reaction score
For $40 I’d buy it just to practice fixing it up. That’s a gold mine for someone wanting to sharpen their tech/repair skills.

Put some elbow grease and as little cash into it as possible, play it while you save for something better and you’re in the game!

jbash

Reaction score
If he doesn't have a guitar yet or it's a good deal, strings and coffee are spending in the wrong direction, no? :)

Go for it, OP.

Care to show me where the OP stated they did not have a guitar?

I'll stick with my initial advice, thanks.

moreles

Reaction score
I played for 2 years on an absolute no-name MIJ (when MIJ was not good!) guitar because the price (free to me) was all I could manage. It wasn't a matter of having a choice -- it was a matter of getting your hands on something and making it work because it had to. I learned everything I know about repair, setup, modding, and eventually building starting with that guitar, so it's all good, and it's how life is. Having said this, I'll also contend that those 60s-early 70s imports are generally -- not always, but usually -- really terrible. Thin veneer fretboards, garbage plywood, "white wood" necks... pressed metal parts that bend; even the screws break! Obviously, some play fine, but I would not buy one to actually use unless you know it's playable and not falling apart. Or -- buy it and have fun (and it is fun) making it workable.

Latest Threads