Mystery Les Paul copy identification thread

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can see the plywood layers in the cavity shots. It's too much color variation for it to be routing marks.

Sorry... I was unclear in my meaning re: plywood. I meant that the Uncle Mats I've seen over the years were very nice killer lami neck-thrus and NOT plywood.... I passed on (like an idiot) several Uncle Mats over the years that were fine builds....Especially some double cutaway basses (P pickups but brighter than standard Fender P pickups) that played like a dream....

Uncle Mat built some fine instruments...under eleventy-seven different names....

Back in the 80s, had a few of the 'plywood' off brand Lesters with plywood bodies come through the shop I worked... Played damn good and sounded like Lesters.... I am not a stickler on the 'tone wood' straw debate..... As long as it is 'good consistent wood', I'm good.... One of the best sounding guitars I've played was an old bandmates Westbury kinda-sorta SG hog slab body, set hog neck guitar, I think Carvin poles from hell pickups.... He had over 35 guitars, most really high dollar and played the Westbury more than any... It was probably an Uncle Mat.... Killer guitar.... He'd have one of the very first Hamer Chaps on a stand as backup, sometimes Lesters, sometimes one of the two (one black on white) high dollar GJ original RR 'spikes', Roland guitar and giant Roland stompbox with it (ok, I hated that box but the guitar was unreal even with the support bar), orig 'Wayne' Charvels, but played the ugly dark brown Westbury more than any.... Incredible through his old Marshalls.... I find some folk's 'branditus disease' funny in that they won't allow themselves to play off brands as it is 'beneath them' I guess... I don't care, it either plays well or it don't... Most do....or will with a bit of work.... Tech that works for me has an old mint Teisco 'State of TN' shaped ugly ass headstock guitar that plays and sounds like a dream guitar but won't sell it to me or anybody else for any price... I'd gig it in a heartbeat.... "Genuine Steel Reinforced Neck" too... :)

BKS

Reaction score
I have a seventies Camel mahogany multi layered les paul. Really nice guitar, still in progress of putting new pickups is as the ones in did suck.
My epiphone G-1275 is an early plywood too, stock a really nice guitar, Just little heavy maybe compared to others. The Hohner L59 i had was ply, great sound on that beauty. I guess as ply is used on very cheap guitars that are not really that nice it has a bad rep.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say this (better put your hardhat on.) ;)

A Lester, technically speaking, is a plywood guitar. It ain't one piece.
Hog ply with a maple ply on top of it. Two ply. Ply Wood. ;)
Norlins were three ply. Two hog slabs with a maple slab on top. (Some with a thin maple sheet between the hogs)

Now look at it sideways. Two piece top. Two plys with an edge join.
Norlin maple necks were three ply. Is the headstock and neck actually one piece? ;)

Some are already gnashing their teeth at the above, even though it is technically accurate.
Nothing wrong, bad, inferior, etc., with 'ply'.... as long as it is a quality build.....

Dead horse or TB glue, correctly glued and cured under pressure, acts like one piece....

Look at an Alembic or Moonstone neck thru....look at the ply count in the neck.... Technically plywood. Arguably some of the finest builds ever done.

Plywood is multiple layers of wood, glued, and cured under high pressure.... knock on a sheet of good quality 'plywood'. (Ain't talking wood chipper sheets or that damn oatmeal wood)

;)

Captjak

Reaction score
Hey all! New to the forum here. My buddy found this LP copy at at pawn shop and, knowing I’m a Gibson fan, picked it up. I was having fun trying to figure out what brand it is and from what year but now it’s driving me a little crazy. There are no markings on it anywhere except for the N or Z in the neck pocket. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! And, yup! Another plywood beast.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark Johnston

Reaction score
I wrote that page. You've got it right. It's a Seville branded Hondo H-737.
Thank you so much for the confirmation!

**Another question please:
I am confused between the two listings:
Deluxe 1981
Deluxe 1982-83
Because my guitar has some of both.
If you scroll down to the next guitar listing it shows:

H-737 (Deluxe Series, 1982-1983)
and it, specifically, says :
Also branded as:
  • Dixon
  • Palmer
  • State of the Art KE-30
  • Seville
The listing for the Deluxe 1981 issue does not state "also branded as Seville".
Only the 1982-83 does.

But it says the 82-83 has a Deluxe headstock or Open headstock.
My headstock is the "Wavy Headstock" with the Gold S-Diamond Inlay on headstock.
Also -
My Seville has no serial numbers anywhere that i can find. And i've looked all over it several times.
  • Gold tuning keys, gold notched speed knobs, Tune O Matic bridge
  • Color of guitar = Black
  • Dot inlays on neck starting at 3rd fret

• Thank you again!
  • - Mark
    20181229_122015.jpg
    20181229_122047.jpg
    20181229_122055.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Johnston

Reaction score
I can clearly see one set of number/characters on the side of one of the potentiometers.
15a25k9928

But when i look it up i get nothing.
So that may not be the correct number needed.

Captjak

Reaction score
Hey all! New to the forum here. My buddy found this LP copy at at pawn shop and, knowing I’m a Gibson fan, picked it up. I was having fun trying to figure out what brand it is and from what year but now it’s driving me a little crazy. There are no markings on it anywhere except for the N or Z in the neck pocket. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! And, yup! Another plywood beast.
So I’ve continued searching. I’m thinking it may be a National with the headstock inlays but the shape is a little different. Any help would be amazing. Thanks.

deicider

Reaction score
So I’ve continued searching. I’m thinking it may be a National with the headstock inlays but the shape is a little different. Any help would be amazing. Thanks.
It's an early Samick, similar to 70's Hondos. Never seen one with an inlay like that but everything else is typical for Samicks from that period.

aarad03

Reaction score
(Please excuse how dusty the guitar is, it was in storage hah)

Got this old MIJ bolt-on neck Les Paul copy from a local guitar shop a few years ago, can someone help me identify it? I'm a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff but I opened it up to take some pictures and it looks to me like it has 500k CTS pots and orange drop capacitors which I'm guessing aren't stock. Also has a Les Paul Model decal on the headstock which I'm sure the previous owner threw on. Pancake body, aged inlays, and the neck plate says "Made in Japan".

Some interesting things:
- The front of the headstock has two small screwholes in it. Makes me think of those old Kay and Harmony guitars that had bolted on logos on the headstocks but I looked at the Kay Les Paul copies and they do not have bolted on logos.

- I'm guessing the humbuckers are stock but they have no adjustable pole pieces on them. Also the pickup rings around the humbuckers are warped and look wavy.

- The backplate to access the electronics has 6 screws. I've seen other copies that have 5 screws. Maybe this could help narrow it down.

- Has a killswitch button in the volume/tone knobs area which I'm guessing isn't stock, and also the middle position is out of phase.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

Roxy13

Reaction score
It might have been an Aria Pro II, early to mid 70s.

@Ohjay to give a more professional opinion than mine.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Five bucks it’s a Teisco variant.... They had several ‘tack on’ headstock brand logos...

Teisco also had a block letter logo in addition to the familiar one...

Ohjay

Reaction score
It might have been an Aria Pro II, early to mid 70s.

@Ohjay to give a more professional opinion than mine.
No, not Aria Pro since that brand started in '75 and they did not do bolt-ons with rounded fretboard edge.
It could be an Aria (not Pro) but I'm no expert on those. But to me the body shape is off as well as the headstock shape.
So to me this does not look like an Aria.

mikeyr4444

Reaction score

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same head as the one upstream on this page.

pdubs

Reaction score
Hello!

I have recently acquired a Legend Les Paul. I believe that it was bought new in 1995 and has just had one previous owner. I was also told it is an Aria made in Korea. It’s a lovely guitar and plays really well. I think everything is stock apart from the humbuckers which have been upgraded.

So,I already know a little about this guitar but would love to know more if possible. There is wear to the logo on the headstock and the switch surround. Just wondering if the surround is replaceable. I imagine there isn’t much I can do about the worn logo but happy to be corrected on this!

Any additional info gratefully received!

Attachments

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, you can buy the switch ring aftermarket from many places.

Latest Threads