Mylar 50's Bumble Bee Capacitors, Not Paper In Oil?????

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I noticed sprague workers are likely to have been involved in the making of the A-bomb, not sure you should be cracking some of those open Jonesy! :laugh2:
Yeah from what I've read Sprague was involved in making some of the most advanced electronic components of that time, and they were asked by the US government to help with those efforts during WWII. I haven't started to glow in the dark yet so I think I'm still ok Mook :D

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you want a vintage correct Bee, .022/400V 20% tolerance it is. That's what Gibson used and it didn't matter to them back in the 50's if it was Mylar or PIO.
Have you seen bursts with mylar bees? I have not, but that doesn't mean much.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, and this was hinted in previous posts somewhat, sellers of bees generally lengthen the leads as the originals have been chopped short when installed in most anything other than a guitar. When they reattach the leads the big solder blobs can look like the filler tubes. ...especially in those blurry ebay photos. The shape of the casing is different too.

cheeseflavor

Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed sprague workers are likely to have been involved in the making of the A-bomb, not sure you should be cracking some of those open Jonesy! :laugh2:
This being Sprague we're talking about here, the problem is with all of the different versions, oddball markings and varying materials for the same part number anyway, you wouldn't really know it was an a-bomb you had in front of you until you cracked it open. :D

Jonesy, if you start cracking any a-bombs open (or f-bombs for that matter), let us know first.

Steve

cheeseflavor

Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. For those of us that have ever had the pleasure of wasting a PIO Bee, you know that smell when you've used just a little too much heat and the oil inside comes out? I trash them when that happens, but I'll bet I'm trashing more than the cap :shock:

Kind of like nerve gas - if you can smell it, it's already too late?

David Collins

Reaction score
I have at least one old non-PIO bee somewhere in my shop that I sliced up radially and longitudinally to get a look at - I'll see if I can find it and maybe post a pic, but probably nothing to see there that isn't already shown here.

I'm also waiting on a big lot of old removed caps I found online as well, but probably won't see until next week. It was a poor photo, but there was at least one ziplock baggie with 10-20 BB's in there. There wasn't any way to make out the values or see the leads, but the price was right so what the heck. Even if they're all fried or not of useful values, maybe there will be a PIO Bee I can cut up for photos.

Mookakian

Reaction score
That's a good point. For those of us that have ever had the pleasure of wasting a PIO Bee, you know that smell when you've used just a little too much heat and the oil inside comes out? I trash them when that happens, but I'll bet I'm trashing more than the cap :shock:

Kind of like nerve gas - if you can smell it, it's already too late?
Santa better bring some alligator clips:) i'm scared to touch a cap with the iron without a lil alligator snapping on the leg and pulling the heat :shock: Maybe i'm over-cautious but its Good for your health and your oil :thumb:

Mookakian

Reaction score
Here's a Russian K40Y-9 PIO, the oil is thick and sticky, it was a solid little metal can but after some hacking i got her open:

Here you can see a cap, this was on both ends under the metal can

There are 2 layers of foil seperated by a thin sheet of plastic

Attachments

5F6-A

Reaction score
Have you seen bursts with mylar bees? I have not, but that doesn't mean much.
well, I feel that you opened a really interesting can of worms. Do 50s Gibson use both types of bees or just the PIO type??

This is one of the most important issues here, me thinks.

:hmm:

Mouse

Reaction score
Unraveled im left with the oil tube and layers of oil soaked foil, the tube is a small flexible rubber tube attached over the metal and ran 2/3 into the center of the cap body.
:)
Now Mook your fingers are soaked in PCB's, how it feels? does your RnR licks see any improvements? :thumb:

Mookakian

Reaction score
Even after a soapy wash that sticky gunk has left an oily film on my fingers, i reckon id be a bit quicker on the fretboard!...but dinners cooking, best get out the lighter fluid :D

5F6-A

Reaction score
I did some recording and compared a 22 mylar bee and a 22 PIO general intrument cap.

The bee, at 10, allowed more highs to come through and when turned the roll-off was more noticeable.
The PIO was altogether darker and creamier providing a better "woman Tone"

Both are very nice caps.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Even after a soapy wash that sticky gunk has left an oily film on my fingers, i reckon id be a bit quicker on the fretboard!...but dinners cooking, best get out the lighter fluid :D

Maybe next time you should suit up first before you crack those caps open ;)

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Here's a Russian K40Y-9 PIO, the oil is thick and sticky, it was a solid little metal can but after some hacking i got her open:

There are 2 layers of foil seperated by a thin sheet of plastic
The young Samurai has learned well. ;)

David Collins

Reaction score
I did some recording and compared a 22 mylar bee and a 22 PIO general intrument cap.

The bee, at 10, allowed more highs to come through and when turned the roll-off was more noticeable.
The PIO was altogether darker and creamier providing a better "woman Tone"

Both are very nice caps.
I just like to point out that for some of us there can be two different discussions here with relatively isolated areas of interest. One is the issue of capacitor effects on tone, of which most know I am in disagreement with (or at least skeptically hesitant to accept conclusions of) many here.

The other, which this thread seems to have focused on thus far, is a keen interest in the minutia of historically accurate details. Though perhaps tangentially related, this latter issue can also be an interesting discussion on its own regardless of how one feels about the former topic.

I do enjoy delving in to the minutia of historical details, but just thought I'd put up a firewall for myself here. :)