My weird 66 ES-335.

BumJin Jeong

Reaction score
HI. Guys. As you know, In this era, chrome covered pat no. PUs are usually T Top PUs.

But Mine wasn't.

Here's the pics.

The neck pickup was purple wire which is early pat no.
The bride pickup was orange wire which is pre t top.
The bobbin tape was covered with blue vinyl in the neck PUs.

Maybe It is a Unicorn? , Or Is it common situation in this era?

Thanks.

mdubya

Reaction score
It certainly is not beyond the realm of possibility .

It must sound great, no excuses.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Could be someone worked on that pickup and replaced the original bobbin tape with blue. How do they sound?

BumJin Jeong

Reaction score
It certainly is not beyond the realm of possibility .

It must sound great, no excuses.
Maybe You have seen these kind of examples.

Yes it is. It sounds great. but at first, I just thought these T tops are really better than others. Because T tops I have experienced were not my type. Dry, tight low end, Too bright.

Last edited:

BumJin Jeong

Reaction score
Could be someone worked on that pickup and replaced the original bobbin tape with blue. How do they sound?
Comparing my PAF, the neck pickup is a little bit brighter than PAF, But not harsh. I think it has pros and cons.
But the bridge pickup is drier, less low end, more harsh than the neck pickup.
Maybe the reason of the difference is DCR gap. The neck pickup reads 7.3k, The bridge reads 8.05k
OR Maybe the difference of wire color? I don't know.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
interesting. I'm betting that pickup was re-wound. If you don't like it you could get it re-wound to PAF specs?

BumJin Jeong

Reaction score
interesting. I'm betting that pickup was re-wound. If you don't like it you could get it re-wound to PAF specs?
The funny thing is that I am the first person who uncovered these PUs. So Maybe there is the possibility of rewound in the factory.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Doubtful. More likely someone may have just done a good job putting the cover back on with the correct solder points. I've scoured Google for a mention or an image of any PAF pickup with blue bobbin tape and there's nothing.

BumJin Jeong

Reaction score
Doubtful. More likely someone may have just done a good job putting the cover back on with the correct solder points. I've scoured Google for a mention or an image of any PAF pickup with blue bobbin tape and there's nothing.
Maybe you're right. and the other funny thing is I already checked the harness soldering has been untouched. I don't know the exact truth.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Last edited:

BumJin Jeong

Reaction score

JOC

Reaction score
Hello BumJin,
Your photo shows a Pat No. Sticker pickup, not PAF sticker. I had a '66 and still have a '69 ES-335. Both have the same Patent No. sticker pickups which were standard issue for this time period. T-tops have Patent No. stamped onto the bottom plate, no sticker and are from the 70's. I never opened my pickups up so I can't comment on the wire color.

Latest Threads