My USA 335.....

TheWelder

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. Is it possible they mean the color is "sixties Cherry"? They say right in the description it has a '50's neck. "And as a central feature, it features a satisfyingly rounded C neck profile that harkens back to Gibson’s vaunted instruments of the late 1950s". But it has T-Top pickups. It's a Sweetwater thing I think. They do stuff like this a lot..
You're probably right, they are referring to the color as sixties cherry. Pretty confusing naming convention though, as most people think specs and neck shape when discussing 50s vs 60s. I don't think this is a Sweetwater exclusive though as I've seen the listing on other retailers' sites. I'm not familiar with T-Type PUPs at all, though. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with these?

I do like the guitar quite a bit, but I'm partial to the vintage sunburst option. I'm on the list to be notified when Sweetwater gets more of these in.

Injector

Reaction score
You're probably right, they are referring to the color as sixties cherry. Pretty confusing naming convention though, as most people think specs and neck shape when discussing 50s vs 60s. I don't think this is a Sweetwater exclusive though as I've seen the listing on other retailers' sites. I'm not familiar with T-Type PUPs at all, though. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with these?

I do like the guitar quite a bit, but I'm partial to the vintage sunburst option. I'm on the list to be notified when Sweetwater gets more of these in.

They're supposedly a recreation of Gibson T-Tops. They are much brighter and do away with the notion that '335s sound muddy'. To make these muddy you have to turn the tone right down.

TheWelder

Reaction score
They're supposedly a recreation of Gibson T-Tops. They are much brighter and do away with the notion that '335s sound muddy'. To make these muddy you have to turn the tone right down.
OK, thanks for the explanation.

I'm curious, has your opinion of the guitar changed at all since you posted this thread a couple weeks ago? It sounds like you were a bit disappointed in yours. I'm strongly considering buying one from this range as I've been looking for a 335 for quite some time and this is about as an affordable option as their is for something with a rounded neck profile and 50s style appointments. There isn't a lot of info online about these.

Injector

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the explanation.

I'm curious, has your opinion of the guitar changed at all since you posted this thread a couple weeks ago? It sounds like you were a bit disappointed in yours. I'm strongly considering buying one from this range as I've been looking for a 335 for quite some time and this is about as an affordable option as their is for something with a rounded neck profile and 50s style appointments. There isn't a lot of info online about these.
It's a great guitar. I've adjusted the truss and straightened the neck out more (ie less relief now) and it plays a heck of a lot better. My main issue is that it doesn't play quite as sweetly as my R7 but that's like comparing apples to oranges isn't it.

Last edited:

TheWelder

Reaction score
It's a great guitar. I've adjusted the truss and straightened the neck out more (ie less relief now) and it plays a heck of a lot better. My main issue is that it doesn't play quite as sweetly as my R7 but that's like comparing apples to oranges isn't it.
OK, good - I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it more after the adjustement. I have one Custom Shop Gibson and all my others are USA. None of my USA guitars are as nice as my Custom Shop, but they are all great in their own respect.

Injector

Reaction score
OK, good - I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it more after the adjustement. I have one Custom Shop Gibson and all my others are USA. None of my USA guitars are as nice as my Custom Shop, but they are all great in their own respect.
Agreed and if you have that attitude then I'm sure you'll love the current USA 'Sixties' 335s. Mine is extremely good but it doesn't have that 'made by Stradivarius' feeling that my R7 has. I guess if you want that extra 10% of mojo you have to pay the Custom Shop tax ..

TheWelder

Reaction score
So I went ahead and picked up a Vintage Burst 335 from this USA range. It's a really nice guitar overall; resonant, light weight, and the neck is definitely fuller and more rounded then the slim taper they were stuck on for so many years. It's not a figured top but it has some decent grain and slight peek-a-boo flame that pops out at certain angles and lighting.

As OP pointed out, it's not a Custom Shop model and it is missing that 10-15% extra something that CS models have over USA models. But in terms of sound, playability, and overall package it is very much in line with the quality that has been coming out of the USA shop since the new regime took over.

ES-335 Vintage Burst.jpg
ES-335 Vintage Burst_2.jpg

mdubya

Reaction score
So I went ahead and picked up a Vintage Burst 335 from this USA range. It's a really nice guitar overall; resonant, light weight, and the neck is definitely fuller and more rounded then the slim taper they were stuck on for so many years. It's not a figured top but it has some decent grain and slight peek-a-boo flame that pops out at certain angles and lighting.

As OP pointed out, it's not a Custom Shop model and it is missing that 10-15% extra something that CS models have over USA models. But in terms of sound, playability, and overall package it is very much in line with the quality that has been coming out of the USA shop since the new regime took over.

View attachment 541005 View attachment 541006
Really, unless you are hung up on Historic Reissue specs and appointments, these are damn close to Custom Shop level guitars. There was a time when it was claimed Memphis was an extension of the Custom Shop. You would think these Nashville made models are the equal to those that Memphis made, at the very least. That should be a particularly excellent guitar. It sure is beautiful. :shock:

TheWelder

Reaction score
Really, unless you are hung up on Historic Reissue specs and appointments, these are damn close to Custom Shop level guitars. There was a time when it was claimed Memphis was an extension of the Custom Shop. You would think these Nashville made models are the equal to those that Memphis made, at the very least. That should be a particularly excellent guitar. It sure is beautiful. :shock:
Thank you for the kind words. It is a great guitar and I'm really happy with it. I've been looking for a guitar that I can gig an entire night with and cover most bases well enough to not have to switch guitars - I'm hoping this is it. I've also always wanted a 335, but had a tough time justifying the price (I had a couple 339s, but they just didn't scratch the itch for me). I was able to land this used one for a decent deal. While it would be nice to have the custom neck profile and better finish options of the Historic range, I can't justify the price jump to get there.

wmachine

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. Is it possible they mean the color is "sixties Cherry"? They say right in the description it has a '50's neck. "And as a central feature, it features a satisfyingly rounded C neck profile that harkens back to Gibson’s vaunted instruments of the late 1950s". But it has T-Top pickups. It's a Sweetwater thing I think. They do stuff like this a lot..
It nor just possible, it definitely is what they mean. Sixties Cherry is a color and not a new one. Should be hard to mistake that, but I guess not.

Latest Threads