My USA 335.....

Injector

Reaction score
I've got a 'Sixties' ES335. It has a fat neck, great low action and sounds good. However, compared to my R7 and R8 LPs it just doesn't feel or play premium somehow despite costing a fair bit. My LPs feel like they were made by Stradivarius and my 335 feels like it was built by a machine in Taiwan in comparison.

So will a Custom Shop 335 give me the feel and improved playability of my Les Paul reissues? I'm assuming that it most probably will but as there are zero to try out this would be an online purchase with the usual hassles if I don't like it....

jlb32

Reaction score
A 335 does not feel like a Les Paul IMO. They just are way different feeling guitars.

I love both but I have to say I love 335's more at the moment and I am a hard rock/metal player. It's weird but I personally feel the 335's just do it all and feel, play and sound amazingly great IMO.

I can't say if you personally would love a CS 335 over the 60's 335 you currently have. That is a decision you will have to make yourself.

My suggestion, if you can not play one, is to do all the research you can and decide. Also there are places you can buy from and try one out. Return it if it's not to your liking.

bum

Reaction score
I do prefer my CS 335 to my LP, but man, it's so subjective and every person will feel differently.

mdubya

Reaction score
My '59 Reissue

And my Dot Reissue - which would be the equivalent of the current "Sixties" ES 335.

I would be hard pressed to pick one over the other. Very different, both are excellent guitars.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I've got a 'Sixties' ES335. It has a fat neck, great low action and sounds good. However, compared to my R7 and R8 LPs it just doesn't feel or play premium somehow despite costing a fair bit. My LPs feel like they were made by Stradivarius and my 335 feels like it was built by a machine in Taiwan in comparison.

So will a Custom Shop 335 give me the feel and improved playability of my Les Paul reissues? I'm assuming that it most probably will but as there are zero to try out this would be an online purchase with the usual hassles if I don't like it....
Which 60s model has a fat neck? I've seen some of these USA 335s on some online retailer websites but don't have any experience with them. Can you post photos of yours?

I will say that in general, Gibson USA guitars are going to be a step down from Custom Shop. In my experience the step down isn't quite as extreme as you're saying, but it is there typically.

jkes01

Reaction score
Has it been setup by a pro?

Have you tried a 339? Same shape as 335, but the size of a Les Paul.

Injector

Reaction score
Which 60s model has a fat neck? I've seen some of these USA 335s on some online retailer websites but don't have any experience with them. Can you post photos of yours?

I will say that in general, Gibson USA guitars are going to be a step down from Custom Shop. In my experience the step down isn't quite as extreme as you're saying, but it is there typically.
I have a 2021 USA ES335 'Sixties' model. The neck is properly chunky, like R8 chunky. I have an R7 and R8 so like my fat necks.

Last edited:

TheWelder

Reaction score
I have a 2021 USA ES335 'Sixties' model. The neck is properly chunky, like R8 chunky. I have an R7 and R8 so like my fat necks.

I prefer fat necks as well and have always struggled to find a 335 with a proper fat neck. I'll look into this model. Thanks for sharing, beautiful guitar.

Zeppelinguy685

Reaction score
I’d get it fully setup including having the nut checked for height. I have the same guitar and mine looked like it was setup by the new guy on a Friday while the rest of the crew was at lunch. The nut height was uneven and way too high as well. After a throughout once over it plays as good as my R8. Good luck.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Where are you guys finding these dot 60s with fat necks? It seems the only USA 335s I'm finding are block inlays with the 60s necks, which I'm really not interested in.

mdubya

Reaction score
The "Sixties" is the current USA model. It should have a medium C neck; round with ~ .85" - .95". These should also be Nashville made. My nephew got one around Christmastime. He loves his. Not a lot of details from him on specs, but loves it. He also takes every new guitar to a world class luthier for a nut and set up.

That luthier did my Dot Reissue when it needed servicing.

TheWelder

Reaction score
The "Sixties" is the current USA model. It should have a medium C neck; round with ~ .85" - .95". These should also be Nashville made. My nephew got one around Christmastime. He loves his. Not a lot of details from him on specs, but loves it. He also takes every new guitar to a world class luthier for a nut and set up.

That luthier did my Dot Reissue when it needed servicing.
Ah got it. I was searching 60s rather than 'sixties.' These look nice. I don't know that I would consider .85 - .95" fat, however. That's more medium in my book.

Injector

Reaction score
Ah got it. I was searching 60s rather than 'sixties.' These look nice. I don't know that I would consider .85 - .95" fat, however. That's more medium in my book.
They're all hand finished. My old Memphis was a medium C and it was much thinner than my newer 'Sixties'. I guess I probably got one of the thicker necks because mine is genuinely R8 sized and I own an R7 & R8 for referemce. People used to say that the old Traditional LPs had a fat neck but the one I owned had more or less a slim taper. It's a crapshoot with Gibsons.

bum

Reaction score
I'm seeing fat Mickey Mouse ears and dots in the pics here, nothing that says 60s reissue to me, they look very firmly like 50s to me, and the fat neck would make sense then too.
Unless I am missing something?
Here is my Memphis Custom shop 60's

335-1.jpg
335-2.jpg

TheWelder

Reaction score
I'm seeing fat Mickey Mouse ears and dots in the pics here, nothing that says 60s reissue to me, they look very firmly like 50s to me, and the fat neck would make sense then too.
Unless I am missing something?
Here is my Memphis Custom shop 60's

View attachment 530587 View attachment 530588
First off, beautiful 335, Sir.

On your other point, I completely hear you there...but check it out. It's a 335 'Sixties' but the specs are more in line with a 50s dot. It doesn't make any sense, but I dig it:

bum

Reaction score

On your other point, I completely hear you there...but check it out. It's a 335 'Sixties' but the specs are more in line with a 50s dot. It doesn't make any sense, but I dig it:

First off, thanks mans :)
Second, well I learned something today, thanks, and you are right, it doesn't make any sense!

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I picked up my '83 Gibson ES-335 Dot in a pawnshop a few years ago for an amazing price.

It was 100% original with OHSC

The guitar has a neck that I'd describe between a 50's and 60's neck,but leaning more to the 50's

The guitar always felt amazing and sounded great, as long as I didn't mess with the volume and tone knobs, and everything was set on 10.

About 2 years ago, I had my local tech upgrade the the pots to 500K and install a treble bleed cap.

I have access to a lot of very nice guitars shops in , San Antonio, Austin, & Houston, and I've not found another standard or CS 335 that sounds or plays better than mine.

Some have sounded and played about as good, but none have sounded or played better.

OP, I think you have a great 335, but I think you might just need to get it set up properly.

Once it's been set up, and it still doesn't sound right, you might consider upgrading the pickups.

Here's my '83 335 Dot:

jlb32

Reaction score
My gold Dave Grohl has a chunky neck but it is so comfortable to play. Not sure if it is a 50's neck but it just feels killer to play.

I personally love the thin necks and chucky necks if they feel great to play! It's all about the feel of the neck IMO. It doesn't really matter the size but the shape of the neck.

tmgcustom

Reaction score

Beautiful guitar. Is it possible they mean the color is "sixties Cherry"? They say right in the description it has a '50's neck. "And as a central feature, it features a satisfyingly rounded C neck profile that harkens back to Gibson’s vaunted instruments of the late 1950s". But it has T-Top pickups. It's a Sweetwater thing I think. They do stuff like this a lot..

Latest Threads