My Theory on Why People Tend to Dislike New Kinds of Music as They a get Older..

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Kashmir

Reaction score
Some people always hated different kinds of music, styles outside their own parameters. It just carries over to old age, especially by the time music changes drastically. So they hate everything by that time. They're closed minded. Open minded people don't have that problem as much. However, it doesn't change the fact that some music just plain sucks.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think that this particular ax has two heads.

Over the years I have noticed that some of the same people who now reject modern music also rejected most of the music that their parents liked back in the day.

--R

truckermde

Reaction score
I agree, to an extent. Personally, I am also slow to get onboard with new things.

I like lots of music I didn't appreciate when it was new...

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Skin, I remember reading a study about this very subject not too long ago, and the science agrees with you. Most people form their taste in music by their mid-teens, and it doesn't change much after that.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think that this particular ax has two heads.

Over the years I have noticed that some of the same people who now reject modern music also rejected most of the music that their parents liked back in the day.

--R
I think that's true too. I'm shocked when I see guys my age that ONLY like the music we listened to as teenagers. Just seems sort of short sighted to me. But to each their own.

12watt

Reaction score
Most of the music of my youth was terrible, there's not that much of it I can tolerate anymore.

Mad Scientist

Reaction score
Well, I like a lot of stuff from the 20's through the 50's even though I wasn't born yet. How does THAT work?.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I like a lot of stuff from the 20's through the 50's even though I wasn't born yet. How does THAT work?.
You're an exception. Most people I know of all ages under say 65 or so somt seem to listen to much of anything pre 1950's

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
You touched on some interesting themes, Skinny, that was a fun read

I think mortality plays a role, second only perhaps to early stages of psychological development. It's hard for me to analyze perhaps accurately, because like you, I've been underground for as long as I can recall, i.e. on the constant hunt for new and wilder things

I find that as I age my taste consistently widens and broadens, and I like more and more. I got a lot of genres under my belt, thank goodness. The spice of life, and all that

I do think there is a big difference between people disliking new types of music and older generations disliking modern music, but that's a minor quibble

People that can't dig bits and pieces of everything are missing out, that's fer sure

There's a color for every canvas, and then some

Taste is taste, time is timeless in this regard. I like things from hundreds of years ago until now and beyond

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I like the way country and jazz has evolved. I think rock lost a lot of traction over the years, and rap isn't really music. It's poetry with rhythm.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, and of course there are guys that are basically into blues rock that listen to earlier blues artists, and I like some very old country. It just seems that most people don't really listen to super old popular music. There are exceptions of course. :)

Electroman67

Reaction score
For me, it's more certain songs that i reject more so than entire genres. I can take some OLD country but not all of it, same goes with Hip Hop & Rap, moderation is fine. The thrash stuff where ya can't make out one word being screamed and all the guitars are playing 64th notes for 3 minutes, i just can't relate to it.....at all. What i bonded with when i was a kid on radio b4 i knew what i was listening to was ....BTO, ELO, Elton John, Rick Derringer, Sabbath......which later led to liking Maiden, Priest, Ratt, Ozzy, etc.
I took my daughter to see Tim McGraw several years ago and actually enjoyed the show. I do own a Kieth Urban CD & some Alabama cassettes from way bk....i enjoy some various acoustic works i have on CD, as well as other country artists. I can't say i reject any newer music as a genre, only if it sucks.

I really like 5 finger death punch and other groups currently touring on a large festival bill. I'd say for myself, my music preferences have widened as i've gotten older, but on the same hand, my patience level for stuff i think sucks has grown smaller & shorter.

:wave:

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think that's true too. I'm shocked when I see guys my age that ONLY like the music we listened to as teenagers. Just seems sort of short sighted to me. But to each their own.
QFT

It's strange to behold, that's for sure.

I tend to like almost anything-- so long as I actually like it. That is, when exposed to a bit of new music, I don't try and classify it and then determine whether or not I like it. I've seen guys do that, too...

Doing a self-inventory here, though... complete!

Have realized that I do tend to most strongly prefer everything I heard between 1964 and 1996 most of all... that is, most of the stuff I like best came from that three-decade period... from the time that I was about six until the time I hit 38. Have liked a lot of material that came around after that... but yeah... seems like right after Cobain died something popped. It was harder to get my interest or attention since then.

Not a huge Nirvana fan, though I liked some of their stuff... but it sometimes seems to me as if Cobain was the last of the traditional rock stars... it sometimes seems as if his suicide was some kind of weird milestone or something.

You're an exception. Most people I know of all ages under say 65 or so somt seem to listen to much of anything pre 1950's
The jazz and blues guys represent one group that does delve into vintage, though. My instructor plays a lot of blues stuff from the Twenties onward...

--R

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Good music for solo boozin', maybe yer the main character in a Film Noir for a few minutes?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmJ-amQ10Y4]I Only Have Eyes For You - JACKIE GLEASON - YouTube[/ame]

I worked in multiple record stores throughout my 20s. Talk about exposure. If it exists, I prolly like some of it. Tons of vinyl, tons of cassettes, ton of cds

Music is cool

Latest Threads