My son got into his first fight today

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this rings home to me alot too.. it honestly just sounds exactly like my own childhood. I could have written this myself.

The one time I took a suspension, I'd actually fought the guy 3 times prior. Just never on school grounds during hours. It never ended with this guy. No matter the result. Kick his ass? He'd want to one up. Get your ass kicked? He wants to do it again.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
You’re kid isn’t scared of standing up for what’s right and that’s a good thing. Getting in a fight isn’t the important part. Winning or losing isn’t important either. Having the courage to take action is what matters and that’s what you should be proud of.

Well-said. Bullies don't want fights, they want soft targets.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
When I was a kid, we moved around a lot, meaning I was always the new kid in school ... and a target. Most of the time I could get past issues by talking, but there were a few times when scraps happened, and I was always grateful that my dad stuck up for me to admins so long as it was defense and not me being a jerk.

I was also grateful for him teaching me to fight -- not just punching, but wrestling moves, learning leverage points, etc, and eventually enrolling me into tae-kwan-do.

Dad always told me that it wasn't about winning the fight. It was always about letting the bully know that if he wanted a scrap, he was gonna get one, and he'd better pack a sack lunch, because I wasn't going down easy.

It worked for me, and I passed those lessons on to my son. Oddly enough, my son got exactly zero days of suspension for fighting. He did have a couple of fights after school, off-grounds, and because he did not start them, he got exactly zero grief from his mother or myself. He knew the difference between starting a fight and finishing it.

Last edited:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I remember as a kid every time I'd change schools I'd get picked on exactly one time. After I whipped the first guys ass I'd be left alone.

Didn't even have to win the fight; I've gotten my ass kicked a couple of times. But swinging back teaches them that you'll go down swinging, and they don't like getting hit, either.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
That’s where most of my little schoolyard scraps ended up.....
“I’ll meet you after school!”
We’d pick a spot, friends circled around and we got to it. It always got broken up.
None of the teachers ever (officially) found out about it. My dad didn’t care. Start it, stop it.... whatever. As long as nobody got REALLY hurt. I brought a shiner home a few times. My nose has been folded, but to this day it’s never been broke.
That’s basically my take on kids fighting: Nobody got stabbed/sent to the ER? Couple bruises and a little blood??
Meh.
Good boy.
But I have the luxury of having a kid that doesn’t have bullying in him.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
At school. Typical 9 year old kid stuff.

A boy from 4th grade jumped into the Gaga ball pit and attempted to take over the game. The kids playing told him to get out, but he wouldn’t listen. My boy, standing next to the ring, told him to get out. I guess he didn’t like a white kid telling him to do something (other kid is Mexican), because even though other Mexican kids were telling him to get out, he targeted my boy and stepped at him saying ‘fuck you, you little bitch’. This is a 9 or 10 year old, mind you. My boy said he challenged him and said, through gritted teeth, ‘oh yeah?!’. Great comeback kid. lol. Apparently that set the other kid off and he attacked my boy, grabbing him and throwing him to the ground.

Now, I only have 1/2 of the story, but my boy said that the other kid started punching him in the stomach, and then started choking him with both hands. So my boy said he kicked him in the dick and pushed him off. Then they both got up and my boy punched the kid straight in the face and gave him a bloody nose. So proud!! Then the fight was broken up by the teachers.

We’ll have to find out what happens to the other kid on Monday. My boy is afraid that he broke the kids nose, but I told him not to worry about it.

Wifey is freaking out and we got in a huge argument about my cavalier attitude about it. ‘Boys will be boys’ I said, and she got triggered. I tried to explain that boys get in fights and this is ‘normal’, but she doesn’t agree. She wants to change 1000’s of year of human male evolution to fit her SJW outlook on life. I told her so and she wasn’t happy about that. Maybe I need some personal relations courses or something. lol

So proud of my boy for not starting, but apparently ending his first fight with a punch to the kids nose!!
At least she didn’t kick you in the dick! Lol

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a real concerted effort to truly supervise kids. Several teachers, including me, decided we were going to do something about all the kids (high school) ignoring the late bell, so we started patrolling the halls and dragging them to get tardy passes and detention for being late.

We had full admin backup. We saw that our efforts were working, so with the tardy issue dramatically improved, we started expanding our net. Started posting where the gangsters considered their turf and kids were afraid to walk past. Gangsters moved on, and we'd relocate.

As long as they weren't intimidating kids, they could hang wherever, but we'd be there too.

Then I took a permanent post in the most populated commons area and occasionally roam about; even though I was s teacher, I was like "back up security" during passing periods. I broke up my share of fights (on one particularly bad day, I broke up 4 in a space of 15 minutes), but that adult supervisory presence goes A LONG way.

Now, from what I hear, it's nearly impossible for the our district's schools to mete out discipline because the head of the social justice and equity department has handed down a dictate making it nearly impossible to suspend

Last edited:

Seven

Reaction score
When I was in school we had two choices when caught fighting. You could take a paddlin' in the principles office or go to the gym and put the gloves on.

There were never any police called.

Latest Threads