My SGs

Deftone

Reaction score
Never really got into SG's . Then in 2002 the SG Special Faded came out. Only $479 for a USA Gibson? I fell in love with that guitar.

The Office.jpg

Eventually I decided I really wanted a Black SG Standard so regrettably, I sold it. I now have a Black Standard and a '67 (my birth year) Jr./Standard Conversion.
IMG_1602a.JPG

IMG_1946a.JPG

cigblues

Reaction score
Thanks some really nice instruments. I am selling a very rare tele this week. It sounded good on paper: birds eye compound neck that I hated. Figured swamp ash body with maple cap in figured violin hand rubbed nitro finish. 6.6 lbs and so on. But miss my beat tele black guard with 7.25 inch radius. Git it at GC used for $1450. Seems strange not to have tele in the house. Best neck have ever had. Not a Monday or Friday instrument. I will do a search and a lot of driving to fine another, but the prices on reverb.com are too high.

cigblues

Reaction score
I am thrilled to hear from you in Egypt! Why regret what was meant to be. A higher voice that is inside us all told you and you obeyed. What was supposed to happen did. I read with great interest your list of guitars. I like what you have collected. On a personal note, I am selling what I thought I would never sell. I paid $1650 to the only shop I do business with. When I saw it, the next day I went to GC and they gave me $1500 on the spot for my beat blackguard that I wish I had back. Back to the Select, it is a guitar than I have seen sell for 3K. Not asking price but actual selling price. Weighs 6.6 lbs. The body is honey comb swamp with figured ash with a maple cap that is figured with a finish hand-rubbed violin color nitrocellulose. All the parts are of the the highest quality of 2012. Called the Select series. Birds eye neck locking tuners compound neck etc. The case does not have a mark on it. So the previous owner did not play it. Its a G&G tweed with the red poodle interior. But a darker tweed than I have ever seen. Part of one of Fenders limited runs positioned between the Deluxe and the Custom shop. Info is scarce, I had to dig. Street price in 2012 was $2150 with a list of $2499. No ice pick sound. Has what fender calls specially voiced Select pups. Fender also made a one with a hand-carved maple top without a pickguard that was perfect and I bought it and a strat from the series. All but the violin finished one were returned to store as my wife was not happy about my purchase. She is always right. Recently wrote her a check for 1K. She gets herself a few treats, and the big part goes to help people. I was a college boy and have never had money concerns. Fender also made a couple of bass guitars. I am seeing a few selects now. Mine is now on Ebay with a starting price of $1350 and buy it now for $1755. I also heard the voice. Sorry for the blather. My point is that you did what was meant to be. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

cigblues

Reaction score
My first guitar was a batwing over 47 years ago. Have had many over the years, but my years on a tele has me only buying one volume and one tone. And no humbuckers. Only single coil for me. My little 5 watter has tone and volume control. Have a few pedals. Since it has no reverb or tremolo. I loved my Deluxe and even more the Prineton. My Swart weighs 14 lbs an 8" speaker and a circuit based on a combination of a Champ and a Princeton with some of Dr. Swarts magic thrown in according to their website. I like the 6V6 it came with and you can replace it with a 6L6 for more headroom. No pesky biasing needed. Blathering aging. Love seeing all these SGs. Gibson tried to relplace the original Les Paul and even named some SGs with the name Le Paul, but Les wouldn't have. But I am not telling you folks anything you don't already onow. I should just be lurking till i learn from ya'll.

cigblues

Reaction score
Gas is my life, but even though I buy and sell, the point is not to make money. It's to play fun instruments. Wive is not as mad at me when she heard me making large purchase of EC Martin. But she knows its never going to stop. I had 13 when she first came to my condo. And when I had my Princeton, she said what did think that was . I told her an object of great beauty. She Good with my blue Swart and has no idea what it costs from Humbucker Music in GA. But I get to play in the living room. I am selling my 2012 fender Select that weighs 6.6 lbs.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no question my next guitar will be an SG standard or SG Standard '61 Maestro Vibrola

cigblues

Reaction score
I ended up with SG JR. Could not be happier. All SG's are fine instruments! Build quality is excellent and gets dirty and cleans up. But your choices show fine taste.

Show Dereck Trucks and have admired 61 every since. My wife and I saw him after the show walking to his ride on the sidewalk and he said "Hey man" and I said it back. Nice guy.

Friend asked me why I didn't ask him more questions. I said both he and I were tired.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
1979 SG Standard - Kalamazoo made (one piece body; it is the only one from that year I have seen like that)
I purchased it used in 1981 from Mike Varney (founder of Shrapnel Records, etc.) who was selling his #2 to start his record company. It came to me with an original DiMarzio SD in the bridge position. In the 1990s, I put in 496R/500T pups as the DiMarzio was not balanced well with the original tarback neck pup. At that time, I also re-wired to having a single tone knob so that I could add a phase-out switch where the out-going tone knob was (so no new holes, no new drilling). It is the best playing SG I ever played. Varney asked a few times to buy it back after his success, but there was no way.

Latest Threads