My Review of the Gibson Murphy Lab (Heavy Aged Les Paul)

AmpliFIRE

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. IMO everyone needs to come up with their own opinion of these guitars (like ALL guitars).

I have an R8 ML UL aged Flametop that is absolutely amazing. Truthfully, the UL aging is more than I would ever want. The heavy aged models that I’ve seen are way too over the top for me. I like that broken in look/feel with finish checking.

Here’s mine for reference :)

yeatzee

Reaction score
I dig what you do and how you do it. I hope the critics don’t deter you. Keep up the great work and THANK YOU!
Thanks! It of course does not, though I will admit I'm left scratching my head every once in a while with the comments I receive :doh:

Am I allowed to review this thread, but not really say if I approve or not?
:rofl: But only after you've actually watched the video to hear what was actually said ;)

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Lol just randomly happened upon that video on YouTube today. Watched it . Then saw this thread lol.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'll do a study on how completely unrelated a thread has to be to keep a wingnut from "going political". I'd guess it could be a lifelong search.

Back on topic - I'd love to see a review of a Murphy Lab 335 if you can get your hands on one.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There could be a thread about a damn mud brick made in 1765 and sooner or later, dipshittery is gonna rear its ugly head... There will be green.

TM1

Reaction score
I bought a ML R-9 Light Aging LP last week from Sweetwater. As far as the finish, feel etc. I think it's pretty nice. BUT.. I'm really pissed that all the the metal hardware and the plastics are Brand F'ing NEW. Where's the light aged aspect to this stuff? I've played plenty of original vintage Les Pauls over the last 50+ years. Until Gibson started with the Hide Glue builds I thought I'd never get one built like the originals. Hide Glue when it dries is no different than the Urea Formaldhyde Gibson used to glue the maple tops to the mahogany backs, in fact it's probably safer than the Urea "Radio Glue" that was originally used. But when dry both act basically identical and allow the critical transfer of string vibration that vinyl based glues dampen.
I have written to Gibson & Sweetwater about the hardware and plastics and have not received any response/reply.. I have a 2002 R-0 that was out of a special run of 5 guitars made for Guitar Center. It's also been to Historic Makeovers and Kim aged all the plastics and metal parts(as one would expect..)
I love the ML R-9 guitar but hate that the plastics and metal parts all look like brand new. I guess I'll have to age them myself.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
I'd personally rather watch a 'review video' where the presenters' points, criticisms and opinions are shared throughout the course of the video. I tend to take a lot more from that than the standard couple of minute summarisation at the end you often see; I would think most viewers that are watching a video about a rather specific guitar are generally able to form a fairly good viewpoint themselves

Another plus for this video is that it has been made by someone who has no real benefit to whether this helps their sales or not, so you would assume that would generally make it more neutral and unbiased. Anyhow, thanks for the video and I for one thought it was nicely presented

Last edited:

ManicPete

Reaction score
Excellent thank you! I like the pedal show and Neville Marten is a bonus.

Yeah this is on my watchlist. I don't think I'll ever own a Murphy Lab, but enjoying all the 4k videos that are popping up every day on YouTube.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
The first time I went to his house to buy a guitar I was like "hey you ain't Dave Grohl?"

I am guessing you don't actually live in a trailer park in Nova Scotia with a son named Ricky either?

Latest Threads