My Review of the Gibson Murphy Lab (Heavy Aged Les Paul)

yeatzee

Reaction score
Figured I'd just start a new thread since the first one was just meant to be for owners to discuss and share their new guitars :)

I was given the privileged of borrowing this guitar for a good week to really get a feel for it and shoot this in depth review and comparison. In the video I go over the Murphy Lab in general, take a closeup look at the aging as it compares to my M2M aged goldtop (and vintage guitar checking as well), then show off some tones with my goldtop side by side, and then go into what I consider the good, the bad and the in between of this guitar. Honest real user review, not a demo from a shop trying to sell you something just a regular dude that loves Les Paul's!

Hope this ends up being helpful for some of you on the fence or about to buy one now or in the near future. Overall I enjoyed having the guitar a lot, the top in particular was spectacular!

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
Just going to put it out there.

I think there is lacking some conclusion, you mention a lot of bad things. And with the price point those guitars are at, you have customers that usually are very detail oriented. Too me with those thing to mention, i would conclude that the guitar isn't worth the cost because its made to poorly and lack of attention to details.

You don't buy expensive guitars because you don't care about details, you buy it for the details, no matter how small they might seem to be.

So it would be a return to dealer guitar, its hard to justify those obvious lack of details on the guitar.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Just going to put it out there.

I think there is lacking some conclusion, you mention a lot of bad things. And with the price point those guitars are at, you have customers that usually are very detail oriented. Too me with those thing to mention, i would conclude that the guitar isn't worth the cost because its made to poorly and lack of attention to details.

You don't buy expensive guitars because you don't care about details, you buy it for the details, no matter how small they might seem to be.

So it would be a return to dealer guitar, its hard to justify those obvious lack of details on the guitar.
The conclusion is up to you. Some (many) might not put a high value on some of what I considered the negatives, but will put a high value on the positives. That doesn't discount the existence of either, but I'd be stupid to not acknowledge we all weight things differently. The same goes for the tone, I guarantee there are some that will watch that comparison part of the video and heavily favor the ML. I'm the complete opposite. Objectively my goldtop is brighter and clearer with less mids. Subjectively, you might prefer the more rounded off tone or extra mids in the ML. Are they wrong? Of course not!

The point is to lay it all out there, everything I noticed that I think people should know about to help calculate their consideration levels. For you, that landed on not for me. For others, it might result in them pressing the buy button. Doesn't matter to me either way!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great job as always, @yeatzee . I thought it was especially admirable that you included such an honest depiction of the finish issues on these, especially since Gibson isn't acknowledging them. That is very useful information for a prospective buyer.

I really like your goldtop, btw. There was something magical in the water at Gibson in 2018! My M2M from that year is just amazing.

Keep up the good work! :cheers2:

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
The conclusion is up to you. Some (many) might not put a high value on some of what I considered the negatives, but will put a high value on the positives. That doesn't discount the existence of either, but I'd be stupid to not acknowledge we all weight things differently. The same goes for the tone, I guarantee there are some that will watch that comparison part of the video and heavily favor the ML. I'm the complete opposite. Objectively my goldtop is brighter and clearer with less mids. Subjectively, you might prefer the more rounded off tone or extra mids in the ML. Are they wrong? Of course not!

The point is to lay it all out there, everything I noticed that I think people should know about to help calculate their consideration levels. For you, that landed on not for me. For others, it might result in them pressing the buy button. Doesn't matter to me either way!
You are right sound is very subjective.

But a physical product is within the realm of objectivity.

Does the product live up to the promised features and is it within the quality requirements. And then we can argue that relic is about artistry, but there still have to be delivered some craftmanship. And to me eye it doesn't look like the craftmanship was on par with what could be expected for a product like that.

Yes we are all different and I'm alright with that, but we shouldn't use that as a shield against objectivity.

BDW60

Reaction score
As to the sound, I think your guitar sounds “better” (brighter, clearer) but less like the sound in my mind that defines what a good Les Paul should sound like compared to the ML. I think it’s possible to hold both of those opinions, though it seems a weird position to take.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Great job yeatzee - you answered a lot of questions I didn't know I had. Nicely done!
Glad to hear it! Thanks!

Great job as always, @yeatzee . I thought it was especially admirable that you included such an honest depiction of the finish issues on these, especially since Gibson isn't acknowledging them. That is very useful information for a prospective buyer.

I really like your goldtop, btw. There was something magical in the water at Gibson in 2018! My M2M from that year is just amazing.

Keep up the good work! :cheers2:
Appreciate it! I tried to cover everything I would have liked to know were I in the market.

You are right sound is very subjective.

But a physical product is within the realm of objectivity.

Does the product live up to the promised features and is it within the quality requirements. And then we can argue that relic is about artistry, but there still have to be delivered some craftmanship. And to me eye it doesn't look like the craftmanship was on par with what could be expected for a product like that.

Yes we are all different and I'm alright with that, but we shouldn't use that as a shield against objectivity.
There's always someone I'll fail to please ;) Just because I didn't say this thing is trash because it cost this much and had these issues doesn't mean I wasn't being objective. Again, the conclusion is subjective. That bold section is your subjective opinion after being presented with the things I pointed out in the video. I'm guessing you tend to think Gibson's aren't worth anywhere near what they charge in general because of xyz craftmanship issue. Many, myself included, recognize if I want perfect craftmanship I'll go PRS or Collings (hint, I don't own any of either brand.. take that as you will).

I always forget, but am always without fail reminded after every single video it doesn't matter what I did there is always something I fell short on for someone out there. Comes with the territory I guess, but hey presumably the video was at least worth the price of admission (read $0)! :cheers2:

As to the sound, I think your guitar sounds “better” (brighter, clearer) but less like the sound in my mind that defines what a good Les Paul should sound like compared to the ML. I think it’s possible to hold both of those opinions, though it seems a weird position to take.
I agree, tone is completely subjective and there is no right or wrong only your preferences and what context those preferences exist in :)

soyboi

Reaction score
Very nice review. Honestly paying top dollar for a heavy aged Murphy and not having all the details correct like aging ALL hardware appropriately would really piss me off, unless the tone completely offset it.

So far everything looks to be quicker methods of pumping ML guitars out to boost sales by volume, as opposed to the meticulous detailing Tom Murphy’s name USED to carry. To add to the misery, some of the ML tops I’ve seen online are piss poor to boot.

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
There's always someone I'll fail to please ;) Just because I didn't say this thing is trash because it cost this much and had these issues doesn't mean I wasn't being objective. Again, the conclusion is subjective. That bold section is your subjective opinion after being presented with the things I pointed out in the video. I'm guessing you tend to think Gibson's aren't worth anywhere near what they charge in general because of xyz craftmanship issue. Many, myself included, recognize if I want perfect craftmanship I'll go PRS or Collings (hint, I don't own any of either brand.. take that as you will).

I always forget, but am always without fail reminded after every single video it doesn't matter what I did there is always something I fell short on for someone out there. Comes with the territory I guess, but hey presumably the video was at least worth the price of admission (read $0)! :cheers2:
If the product doesn't live up to its own statements, then it per definition a faulty a product, no matter how much you want to make it subjective. You point out yourself many parts haven't been reliced to replicate an old used guitar. That is pretty objective and a proof of the product doesn't deliver on what it is supposed to deliver on.

I can inform you on that i'm waiting on a CS Gibson myself, so sure i expect it to live up to the price and expected craftmanship.

Just because i buy a Ferrari it shouldn't mean i should be okay with bad suspension or a bad paint finish. Just because its Ferrari i shouldn't bend over and take what ever they give me.

Same goes for Gibson, just because its expensive and is a big brand (CS), it doesn't mean i shouldn't bend over and take what ever they present to me. Its called consumer rights and the right to expect a product that Gibson promised me.

And just for the record, non-CS Gibson, aren't premium when looking at the price, they are in the high range but not "exclusive pricing" I don't know why many thinks that mass produced Gibsons are super high end. ESP E2 goes for same price range, just to name another brand.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
If the product doesn't live up to its own statements, then it per definition a faulty a product, no matter how much you want to make it subjective. You point out yourself many parts haven't been reliced to replicate an old used guitar. That is pretty objective and a proof of the product doesn't deliver on what it is supposed to deliver on.

I can inform you on that i'm waiting on a CS Gibson myself, so sure i expect it to live up to the price and expected craftmanship.

Just because i buy a Ferrari it shouldn't mean i should be okay with bad suspension or a bad paint finish. Just because its Ferrari i shouldn't bend over and take what ever they give me.

Same goes for Gibson, just because its expensive and is a big brand (CS), it doesn't mean i shouldn't bend over and take what ever they present to me. Its called consumer rights and the right to expect a product that Gibson promised me.

And just for the record, non-CS Gibson, aren't premium when looking at the price, they are in the high range but not "exclusive pricing" I don't know why many thinks that mass produced Gibsons are super high end. ESP E2 goes for same price range, just to name another brand.
I agree with everything you’ve posted on here.
As a review it IS lacking a conclusion/ a bottom line.

Last edited:

yeatzee

Reaction score
it’d be nice to see a Les Paul demoed through a Marshall
You're more than welcome to buy me one so that I can include one! ;)

Besides the PT15 is marketed as a marshall plexi on channel 1 and hot rodded on CH2 and 3.

Very nice review. Honestly paying top dollar for a heavy aged Murphy and not having all the details correct like aging ALL hardware appropriately would really piss me off, unless the tone completely offset it.

So far everything looks to be quicker methods of pumping ML guitars out to boost sales by volume, as opposed to the meticulous detailing Tom Murphy’s name USED to carry. To add to the misery, some of the ML tops I’ve seen online are piss poor to boot.
It makes no sense why Gibson wouldn't age all of the hardware... I mean they did on my M2M. Just odd.

I pointed out every flaw and negative with the guitar I found. You're only upset because I didn't say what you wanted me to say at the end. I didn't bypass any issue, any flaw, in fact I highlighted it IN DETAIL. If that's not good enough for you, move along and do your own.

I agree with everything you’ve posted on here.
As a review it IS lacking a conclusion/ a bottom line.

Its been confirmed by sources that these are regular historics just painted differently.
These shouldn’t be commanding near True Historic /collectors choice/60th anniversary prices.
See above. And question, what exactly do you expect ML to be if not aged regular historics (with a different lacquer formula)? Where has it been said any differently? I literally explained how they're just a division within CS, not a separate entity.

-----------------------------------

It's not my call to say whether it's worth the cost or not. As I've said, value and worth is subjective. Period. What I can do is make you the prospective buyer more informed so that you can come to your own conclusions and make the best decision for you. Would I buy a ML? No, I'm not dropping $7-9k on a guitar. My M2M cost me $3k, and it held up just fine. But some people have much more money than I do, and to them $9k might be the equivalent of $500 to me. Maybe they value the looks of the ML, they like the tone of ones they've tried, and they don't mind the various quirks like un aged strap buttons. Great, enjoy the guitar! I couldn't care less what conclusion people come to after the video, I'm not here to spoon feed opinions on what to think. This is no different than my exhaustive PAF comparison videos, it's the same formula. I show what's what in an unbiased manner, and you do with that what you please.

Andrew1225

Reaction score

It's not my call to say whether it's worth the cost or not. As I've said, value and worth is subjective. Period. What I can do is make you the prospective buyer more informed so that you can come to your own conclusions and make the best decision for you. Would I buy a ML? No, I'm not dropping $7-9k on a guitar. My M2M cost me $3k, and it held up just fine. But some people have much more money than I do, and to them $9k might be the equivalent of $500 to me. Maybe they value the looks of the ML, they like the tone of ones they've tried, and they don't mind the various quirks like un aged strap buttons. Great, enjoy the guitar! I couldn't care less what conclusion people come to after the video , I'm not here to spoon feed opinions on what to think. This is no different than my exhaustive PAF comparison videos, it's the same formula. I show what's what in an unbiased manner, and you do with that what you please.
I think you’re missing the point @RuneDanmark is trying to get across.
I’m assuming you’re the kind of person who takes any kind of criticism as an attack?
Chill the hell out dude.

It IS your call as a reviewer to give your conclusion, as you’re the reviewer with the hands on experience. That’s called reviewing 101.
As a subscriber of your content, the review does feel incomplete without a conclusion no matter how great everything else was.

Oh, and I suggest you change the bolded red part of the quote if that’s what you really think.
Not a good look as YouTuber I’m afraid.

Do I feel these are overpriced? Hell yeah.
That being said, you pointed out a few things in a positive light, that I didn’t really notice about these line of guitars, which could be helpful in a decision for a future used purchase, who knows?

But you don’t care what the viewers conclusions are so whatever I guess:dunno:

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
I pointed out every flaw and negative with the guitar I found. You're only upset because I didn't say what you wanted me to say at the end. I didn't bypass any issue, any flaw, in fact I highlighted it IN DETAIL. If that's not good enough for you, move along and do your own.

It's not my call to say whether it's worth the cost or not. As I've said, value and worth is subjective. Period. What I can do is make you the prospective buyer more informed so that you can come to your own conclusions and make the best decision for you. Would I buy a ML? No, I'm not dropping $7-9k on a guitar. My M2M cost me $3k, and it held up just fine. But some people have much more money than I do, and to them $9k might be the equivalent of $500 to me. Maybe they value the looks of the ML, they like the tone of ones they've tried, and they don't mind the various quirks like un aged strap buttons. Great, enjoy the guitar! I couldn't care less what conclusion people come to after the video, I'm not here to spoon feed opinions on what to think. This is no different than my exhaustive PAF comparison videos, it's the same formula. I show what's what in an unbiased manner, and you do with that what you please.
I'm not upset, but as a reviewer (you call it a review) you have to review a product against what the manufacturer claims it is able to do and the production quality. That is what a review is about.

What you are stating is that you are giving an opinion, then we are talking about a very different thing.

"The Holy Grail
Gibson Custom Shop's 1959 Les Paul™ Standard Reissue is not just a tribute to the priceless original models -- it's a clone of them. From laser-scanned dimensions to chemically-recreated plastics to color-matched shades of sunburst, every element has been rendered in unbelievable detail. It represents the culmination of decades of work by Custom Shop's expert team -- a tireless quest to bring accuracy and authenticity to the hands of fans. It’s the definition of cool, and it's the best representation of the 1959 Les Paul Standard since the Gibson Custom Shop began making Historic Reissues over twenty-five years ago. It features Ultra Heavy Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Ultra Heavy Aged finish treatment, paired with heavily aged hardware, simulates decades of heavy play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era." - Gibson

Does Gibson live up to their own statement about their product, then the reviewer start from that perspective. That is the job of a reviewer.

Or else call it your opinion according to your own taste.

I'm not upset, I'm just into reviews that actually reviews the products from the statement that the manufacturer gives about their product. Is it what they claim it to be or not.

And then you can give your own perspective and subjective opinion about the product without regarding what the product is presented as from the manufacturer.

JMP

Reaction score
I seems like, the more labour you lay in a review, the better chance the review has to get criticized.
I Iiked this review very much.
I agree. Not to mention, we’re talking about “free” YouTube content here that none of us paid a penny to view and benefit from. Why would you be so very critical and disrespectful to @yeatzee for his efforts? Simmer down folks.

Latest Threads