My PUP height screws move by themselves

NINFNM

Reaction score
And I know that cause I always place them angled at 45°.
Dont know if its a mechanical problem, my strumming or the goblins that inhabit my house.
Does anybody else experience the same?

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Senhor!

p.s.: yeah after you figure out your worship schedule, you can put some hard foam under the pickups to help keeping them in place (it would slightly increase the tension between the pickup and the screws, leaving less room for things to move around)

1638306807648.png

NINFNM

Reaction score
My pickups are very sensitive to height adjustments, and it takes me so long to find the sweet spot. That's why this pisses me off.
It has to do with the vibrations, as someone sugested.
I also have foam behind the pickups, that didnt solve the problem, although is there for other reasons

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loctite or Holy Water....whatever it takes.

A drop of super glue on the head and ring should secure it, and it will easily break free if you want to make an adjustment.

gball

Reaction score
I also have foam behind the pickups, that didnt solve the problem, although is there for other reasons

To me, that's the likely source of the problem. The foam would be pushing up on the pickup, lessening the pressure of the springs that are pushing down and applying the force that provides the friction to keep the screws in place.

I've been playing Les Pauls since 1977 and have never had a pickup height screw move on its own, so it is definitely unusual and I sincerely doubt there is enough vibration coming from either the guitar itself or a loud amp/band to get them to start backing off on their own.

irocdave12

Reaction score
I had a similar issues with a guitar where the threads were just very loose with no tension. I fixed mine by taking a tiny screwdriver and causing a tiny burr on the under side plate of the pick up where the screw thread through. All you need is just a little nick or something to cause drag on the screws And give them tension to hang onto. Threadlocker I’d be careful with as although the blue stuff is the type meant to be removed these screws are so small in diameter and long they are weak to begin with so breaking one off in a pup would be a nightmare. Typically you use a bit of heat to help get the blue thread locker to let go but thats a sketchy deal with a pick up. I think causing a tiny bit of tension in the threads might be better but you gotta do it with care also

NINFNM

Reaction score
To me, that's the likely source of the problem. The foam would be pushing up on the pickup, lessening the pressure of the springs that are pushing down and applying the force that provides the friction to keep the screws in place.

I've been playing Les Pauls since 1977 and have never had a pickup height screw move on its own, so it is definitely unusual and I sincerely doubt there is enough vibration coming from either the guitar itself or a loud amp/band to get them to start backing off on their own.

The foam is there since not too long, the problem already existed before

mr. rj

Reaction score
I noticed someone or something was messing with mine too!...I found out who it was, so I bought him his own custom. Now life is Peachy...
rynos epi custom mij.jpg

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I hope you didn’t remove the long springs underneath the pickup rings.

rogue3

Reaction score
And I know that cause I always place them angled at 45°.
Dont know if its a mechanical problem, my strumming or the goblins that inhabit my house.
Does anybody else experience the same?

Yes. When i was giging a lot. When it happened to me(measureable) i chalked it up to flimsy Gibson hardware.:shock:
The pickup rings from those era lesters ( '89 Standards) are some of the cheapest plastic i have seen, and may be partly responsible? idk.

At that time, i set up my own guitars, and always documented the pickup to string height. After 2 or three years of hard playing out,i noticed one day at a string change, the neck pickup was noticeably lower in the pickup ring. measured and found i had gained 2 or 3 mm's distance to the string. Bridge pickup too. I'll be damned. I was sitting at 6.5mm on an axe that i had set around 3 to 3.5mm.Go figure.

Doesn't happen today, maybe because i don't play nearly as much as i did back then( three gigs a week, rehearsals , 2-4 hours of practice per day).

Last edited:

Latest Threads