My Private Hell: Car + Craigslist = :-(

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, circumstances convinced me to sell my 1968 Camaro, the last old car I have. It's a nice car, a muscle car. I listed it on craigslist. In short order, I was bombarded with people asking insane questions and coming to see it with driving experience on nothing more than a Camry for commuting. Just people wanting to check out old muscle but not prepared at all to assess an actual car of that age. I mean, this is not a car for your wife to drive out for groceries while hauling a baby. C'mon.

I don't know how you guys who have to deal with the general public in a retail environment do it. Anyway, I was heading toward a full time non-paying job as curator of a one car museum. I rewrote the ad kernelofwisdom style and weeded out the chaff. Now, I have a deal pending with a guy who knows what he's talking about.

This thing is good for commuting if you live a quarter mile from the office and need to be there each morning in about 10 seconds. Other than that, no.

Bon voyage, old Camaro. You're not original equipment, but you are original. You're Pam Anderson, but 10 years ago: full of aftermarket goodies, high octane, and enjoyed in quick bursts.

Here's the ad if you're bored enough to want to read it. I'll miss her.

Edit: deleted craigslist at request of the buyer. Here was the text, minus pix.

FOR SALE:

1968 Camaro

UPDATE: SALE PENDING! I'll miss the car but not the questions. Can you commute with it? Yes, it is ideal if you live a quarter mile from the office and need to be there in 10-12 seconds every day. Is it original? Yes, like Pam Anderson of 10 years ago was original: full of awesome aftermarket add-ons, high octane, best enjoyed in quick bursts, and way fun to ride. If the sale goes through, I'll delete this ad. END UPDATE.

Dark red (darker than pix; about right in video). Automatic. Just under 80G on the odometer. 383 Stroker under the hood – don’t know how many miles on the engine. Black interior. It’s an SS tribute, which is a fancy way of saying it’s a regular Camaro in SS dressing; however, this one ain’t just boasting, not when you see what’s under the hood. Looks very nice; runs straight and true - very powerful on the road.

The price is what it is. I respect that you may not want to buy the car, so please respect that I do not want to sell it for less than I am asking for it. Even if you point something out to me that I have never noticed about the car, I will not change the price. The price is the one thing you can count on in today’s uncertain times. If you find yourself lost or out of sorts and needing direction due to today’s torrent of bad news and our uncertain world, think back about the price of this car, and how firm that price is, and you can use that as your foundation.

WARNING: This car is a muscle car. It is very powerful. It has an old school 383 Stroker in it. You have to pump gas to that baby. You may stall it. You have to manage the interaction of the throttle, the transmission, and the brakes as a system. If you buy it, you can decide to tweak down the performance in favor of ease of driving, but for now, it’s a muscle car.

If you can imagine settling back into a cocoon of climate controlled comfort, your back supported by the adjustable lumbar support of the leather wrapped seat behind you, your ears resting easy in the quiet atmosphere, your car barely noticeable as the well-tuned fuel injected engine hums quietly seemingly miles away, then you are imagining the kind of car that is the polar opposite of this car.

Some people like to ride ponies and some people like to ride stallions. Well cowboy, this is a stallion.

If you are married, your wife will not like this car. If you are married, your girlfriend will like this car.

Mathematically speaking, this car is 40 years old. It’s seen the Vietnam War, Disco, The Cold War, the first Iraq war, gas shortages, global warming, and it’s still going. Of course there are things about it that don’t look new or operate like new. No xenon headlights in this baby. It’s no rustbucket - in fact it's very clean, but it didn’t just roll out of the factory either. Give me a break. If you want something that is absolutely perfect with no detectable blemishes, you'll pay a lot more than this for it. A lot more. This price is a strong value, very strong - but you're not getting a $45,000 car that has been restored painstakingly in a cleanroom for years and then hermetically sealed. It's a driver that looks nice and brings the power.

Factory climate control is disabled in favor of engine power. The vents work, and so do the windows.

This car will drip transmission fluid. I don’t care, so I haven’t bothered to tighten the pan or replace the gasket. The gasket for the main coolant line weeps just a bit. A three dollar part, but another thing that doesn’t bother me, but just so you know.

This car can kill you. This kind of power is no joke. No one would make a car with this kind of power and this lack of safety features today. It’s not as bad as going over Niagara Falls in a barrel, but it’s no Volvo either. It’s not wise to drive this car. Your mother would not approve. Your friends’ wives will tremble at night that you may become a bad influence upon their husbands, when they see you go by, carving a path of danger, leaving the sweet smell of testesterone in your wake.

You don’t age in this car. At once, you are 6 and 60, 20 and 40, 8 and 80. The union of man and machine transcends time, and you reach a field of enlightenment when driving this car that is known by few, and which reunites you with all you have been and will be. You will exit the car refreshed and recharged, on top of your game, sharp and steady. If you don’t believe this, there are better things to spend your money on than this car.

There are many people with many wonderful things out there, but I’m not interested in a trade. Just cold, hard cash. American cash. Federal currency. That’s it. I get dollars, you get the car and its title.

If you’ve never had a muscle car and you wonder what it would be like to own one, don’t. Just don’t do it! You have to add lead substitute and octane booster. You have to tap the pedal before starting. You have to worry about stalling. You don’t get good gas mileage. There are no safety features.

I don’t know much about the history of this car. Chevrolet made it, and eventually I bought it. Judge it for what it is now. Here’s the VIN if you want to check that out: 123378N451866. I'm not hiding anything, but I'm not a historian either. I like cars that drive awesome, right here, right now.

This car is for a guy who likes something raw, something powerful, something awesome. The kind of guy who will build a real fire in a real fireplace. This is a 68 Camaro people. And this is a Camaro with balls in it. Big. Old. Balls.

If you’re interested, you can e-mail me that fact. I will be glad to give you a window of time to check out the car that takes into consideration your schedule. Due to overwhelming demand and the fact that I’m busy, I won’t get on the phone about it or spend time test driving it with you, and you can’t test drive it alone. It is what it is. Perhaps the right person will see this ad and this will be the right car for him; if so, it’ll happen and we’ll get it done. If not, it’s fine right here at home with me. I apologize for those restrictions, but hey if you’ve ever tried to sell a car on Craigslist, you’ll understand.

I'm selling it because I have too many cars and not enough garages. So this one just doesn't get driven enough.

The Car is in South Raleigh, near the intersection of Tryon and Gorman St.

If you want more local options, check out http://www.ecoastcc.com. These guys run a great dealership and always have lots of camaros and such in stock.

If you’re still interested, here are pictures and video (video taken January 23, 2009).

Video:

Pictures:

Last edited by a moderator:

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Beautiful car. Whoever buys that is getting a great deal. Sorry to hear you have to let her go. I just lost my job and am crossing my fingers I wont have to resort to selling my '50 Rocket 88.

circusboy28

Reaction score
Your ad is sensational - so is the car!! Awesome, it's one of those cars you pull up next to at traffic lights and just go ".......YEAH!!"

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Please don't sell that beauty. That is so amazing...

mrpesca

Reaction score
Reminds me of another thread where "I jizzed in my pants" Holy shit Kernel, That's a beauty. I used to have a 67 and have never forgiven myself for selling that car. I had dreams about it for years after. I'm not that liquid right now or I would snap it up. I think I sold mine for 1400 back in 79. I also had a 70 RS/SS 396 Camaro. Wish I had that one too. So the 383 is a destroked 400?

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of another thread where "I jizzed in my pants" Holy shit Kernel, That's a beauty. I used to have a 67 and have never forgiven myself for selling that car. I had dreams about it for years after. I'm not that liquid right now or I would snap it up. I think I sold mine for 1400 back in 79. I also had a 70 RS/SS 396 Camaro. Wish I had that one too. So the 383 is a destroked 400?

383 is based on the 350 block. Yeah, I'll miss this one for sure.

Holy crap! $1,400! Wow! A 70 RS/SS 396 is complete awesomeness.

Well, cars come and go... I think the guy getting it will have a lot of fun with it, and I didn't get to drive it much at all.

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Beautiful car. Whoever buys that is getting a great deal. Sorry to hear you have to let her go. I just lost my job and am crossing my fingers I wont have to resort to selling my '50 Rocket 88.

Well I hope you don't have to sell it too. And I hope you get a new job quickly. This is totally messed up, all these damn layoffs, "right" sizing and the rest.

jomo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I feel ya bro, I actually turned a guy down when I was selling the Beast. He was asking me how it would do in the snow. Seriously?? The snow?? How will it do going up a steep gravel drive? Good day sir. Yes, good day, see you later. This isn't your kind of car sir. Sir, the only water this car has seen had soap mixed in it. Bye bye now. I ended up selling it to a 73 year old man that promised to rub on it with a diaper.
lespaulandthebeast.jpg

Good luck bro

calibud

Reaction score
That thing is gorgeous!

Keep this thread up until tomorrow. I'll post the car I had to get rid of. Sad days indeed.

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I feel ya bro, I actually turned a guy down when I was selling the Beast. He was asking me how it would do in the snow. Seriously?? The snow?? How will it do going up a steep gravel drive? Good day sir. Yes, good day, see you later. This isn't your kind of car sir. Sir, the only water this car has seen had soap mixed in it. Bye bye now. I ended up selling it to a 73 year old man that promised to rub on it with a diaper.
lespaulandthebeast.jpg

Good luck bro

exactly. great picture. i have to say my picture taking has gone up a notch after being humbled by you guys. 6 months ago, I had the composition and clarity that, as you looked at the photo of my guitar, would make you think - is this the same idiot who takes out of focus grainy pictures of bigfoot and the loch ness monster?

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Well I hope you don't have to sell it too. And I hope you get a new job quickly. This is totally messed up, all these damn layoffs, "right" sizing and the rest.

Its a scary time for us in the US, thats for sure. Hell monday alone was what 70,000 jobs lost? Thats scary. We're hanging out in 1929 right now, just waiting for the plunge. For the eccentric millionaire there are tons of great investments out there with all the cars, guitars, guns, houses, boats, children, kidneys, and whatnot being sold to get by.

Oh and Jomo, Im not a huge fan of Mini's but that thing looks sweet, nice and clean. Tastefully done.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kernel - great car. I loved the shots w/ the LP in them.

Harpozep

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ben there Kernel. Did the same thing with my Last Corvair recently.:rolleyes: After 28 years and 22 Corvairs I had to let go.

Needed room in my garage for stuff from my dad's move. He moved out of a three story to a 2 room apartment. Seventy eight years of material had to be gone through and I just could not throw it all out or sell it quick enough, so my car space had to go. Had two convertibles and they were not going to see rain or snow begin stored out side, so with tears in my and my daughter's eyes, they went away.
The Crag's list brought out the whackjobs. Emails about how my car was a pile of junk, not worth anything, and phone calls from People I would not let drive a Yugo! Never put your address in a Craig's listing.

After a rewrite and I got a call from a cool family who wanted my '64. They have a garage and a '65 as well, so it want to a good home. I even gave him literally a ton of extra parts and still have some.
Anyway, these older cars are fun. Here's hoping I can get the '62 Buick of my Dreams some day. Yeah, going back to Buick. I fit better in them after being the Comic Book guy for 19 years!:laugh2:

You think you'll ever get back into the old cars Kernel?
Congrads on being strong enough to sell your prized Camaro. I know exactly how you feel.
Before mine left I took some parting shots:

49093626.jpg

medium.jpg

large.jpg

Only one Chevy left now...

64425719.jpg

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Harpo,

That shot with the guits is screensaver material!

Who knows? I love old cars. I feel more connection to them than new ones. I'll admit that all the complicated stuff under the hood now and this and that in the cabin keeps me from delving in too far into wondering how they work, or - don't think it - work on them. There are great new cars, but I don't "feel" them like the old ones. Guess I'm old! :)

Harpozep

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Harpo,

That shot with the guits is screensaver material!

Who knows? I love old cars. I feel more connection to them than new ones. I'll admit that all the complicated stuff under the hood now and this and that in the cabin keeps me from delving in too far into wondering how they work, or - don't think it - work on them. There are great new cars, but I don't "feel" them like the old ones. Guess I'm old! :)

Thanks. Anything in that car looked great, but the Gibsons were the best.
I just felt your pains as I read about the Craig's list buffoons and figured I'd share.
Yeah our cars made great props, didn't they?

Here's my daughter from a few years back enjoying our '67. I miss it as well. I see it all the time since a guy three houses down bought it. But he keeps it out doors all year:rolleyes::rolleyes:. He just put 7K into it and keeps it outside? I don't get it?:wtf:

10263115.jpg

She poses with the new one these days:

60639135.jpg

notoperational

Reaction score
Fast cars+ Guitars... Now thats rock n' roll.

That picture of the Camaro and the Marshall stack/LP almost made it to the computer background. Awesome stuff! Your a lucky man to have toys like that.

05jrock

Reaction score
I know your pain man.I sold my beast of a car a few years ago and still miss it.

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Harpo,

Man I'd never keep a car like that outside! That's some faith there.

More great pix. Beautiful daughter. Kids love convertibles, and why wouldn't they? :-D

Latest Threads