My P90/Soapbar Journey

ezra1

Reaction score
I started with Lollar in a Junior. I got a hot one and wished that I had gone with a low wind one.
I have a Les Paul Classic with Gibson Soapbars. The pick-ups were bland and lifeless.
I then got a set of Rewinds when he first offered them a few years back . They are well built .
I liked them until I heard a set of Wolftone Mean and Meaner.The neck pickup sounds gorgeous. They were what I was after. So I got a set and put them in the Classic.

Wailing

Reaction score
Did you ever change the pickup in the Junior?

Deftone

Reaction score
I have the Wolfetone Mean/Meanest set in my '67 SG jr. The Meanest in the bridge sounds vicious.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
I like the following:

Antiquities: Underrated. These nail the smoky/lofi honk and grind of my vintage p90s. The weird baseplate and covers drive me nuts though.

Gibson: Not bad. Certainly not great. The Custom Shop P90 in my R7 Jr is a plain production p90 with an aged cover per Gibson's customer service.

Wolfetone: Mean and Meaner. Like the duncan but without any of the weirdness. The Wolfe's are also a bit clearer without losing the honk. They're also cheaper than the duncans and Wolfe is a real dude who will talk to you. These are more of the later 50s type sound. Highly, highly recommended. I'd only grab antiquities over these if time was a factor - not that Wolfe is slow, but if a pickup died in an emergency or something, I'd be fine with an antiquity.

BKP Nantucket: Holy smokes! Early 60s style P90. Big, fat, kerrang-ing. A little bit more razor-edged than honky - more punch, more clarity. If the wolfe's are more in line with a Leslie West type tone, the BKP leans more towards a Pete Townshend Live at Leeds p90 tone. This one really kills for rock. A little more spit/"in your face" tone as opposed to how the wolfe/duncans (alnico 2 as opposed to the BKP alnico 5) can mellow out a little more "sweetly".

One trick of the trade - SHIM YOUR P90s. When they're up high they grind way better and have more usable range. Coincidentally a shim helps me duplicate the shallow neck angle/small distance between the strings and the pickup in my 58 Junior which is an atomic bomb of a guitar.

Latest Threads